• Status
    Not open for further replies.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Let me first start off by saying that I’m no “tactical” rifle case expert. I’ve only owned or tested a small sampling of what’s out there, but I feel like I’ve bought enough different types of packs that I have a decent feel for what’s going to fall apart on me immediately and what’s going to last a little while.

I bought this pack because I wanted a big boy version of my marlin papoose. I’m happy with my papoose, but after having the rifle taken apart in a nice pack in the trunk I honestly had to ask myself why not an AR? That’s what got me looking in the first place and I came across a video of this pack on U-tube that CheaperThanDirt had produced.

Here are some cruddy cell phone pictures of the pack:

IMAG1046.jpg

IMAG1047.jpg

All the straps tuck in nicely behind the mess back cushion. I don’t think it’s ever going to be a problem with them slipping out, but when tucked away they do add some thickness and limits what you can fit in the pack a little bit.

IMAG1048.jpg

IMAG1049.jpg

The shoulder strap you see here is actually half way comfortable. For a pack that’s not meant to be a nice comfortable hiking pack it serves its purposes very well. I haven’t had this pack long enough to have taking it on any long distance hikes or really use it in any hard way, but looking at the stitching and fabric I wouldn’t hesitate to beat on it a little.

IMAG1050.jpg

IMAG1051.jpg

This is how I had to break my rifle down to get it to fit in the pack. It’s a tight fit and I used the empty spaces created by the rifle to place a mag or two in the pack. This rifle in this pack is basically at the borderline of what can just barely fit in the pack without the zipper looking like it’s going to bust open. I tried another AR without a forend grip that was without a flashlight and it fit in there much easier, but for the purpose of showing what can fit in there I thought I’d show it maxed out.

You’ll also notice that there is a divider in this pack to keep the two halves of an AR from scratching the heck out of one another. I think it’s worth while to keep in there, but space is at a premium and I can see why someone would want to take it out if they didn’t mind getting their rifle all banged up. Personally I want my rifles/gear to get beat up the honest way of getting scratched up in the woods, not just from rubbing against each other in a pack so I kept it.

IMAG1052.jpg

IMAG1053.jpg

The last two pictures are just in case anyone was curious about how much the flashlight sticks out or how much room the accessories take on the rifle and can still have it fit in the pack.

IMAG1055.jpg

XS illuminated front sight post is a nice touch, and I’m really happy with it.

IMAG1057.jpg

IMAG1058.jpg

Front Pockets: You’ll notice that this pack has three pockets on the front. The pockets are the type that are sewn in pretty tight and you’re not going to get much if anything in them. This is the biggest flaw I see with the pack itself because it wouldn’t have been to hard to have sewn those pockets in to where a guy could at least put some 20rd mags in there pretty easily.

The rifle I used for this little example is a Del-ton Dissipater. I wanted to be clear about that so that people understood that it’s just another 16” barreled carbine in the case and not some other barrel length.

FYI, a Ruger 10-22 with the folding stock does not fit in this case. A marlin papoose 70pss will fit with plenty of room to spare.

Overall, I’m pretty happy with how this little pack turned out. I’m always nervous buying something over the internet that I haven’t seen and touched. For the price I really wasn’t expecting it to be as nice as it is and I think I got this at a real bargain. It’s a decent and sturdy pack that doesn’t draw too much attention and doesn’t look like it’s big enough to have a gun in it. If you’re considering buying something like this then I think this pack in particular would be worth checking out.

Product Page:
    http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/ItemDetail.aspx?sku=CASE-103&utm_source=youtube&utm_medium=video&utm_campaign=CASE103-youtube-video-012811

U-tube Video:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Q4YoT-Iq3c&feature=player_embedded&noredirect=1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Q4YoT-Iq3c&feature=player_embedded&noredirect=1

Last edited by a moderator:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom