• ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Both Wal-mart and Amazon have these on sale for under $70 shipped. They normally run about $100.

Before we get in to the review, some stock photos:

41Hooif7DPL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

G745.png

I got mine from Amazon, because I like the idea of muscular women in leopard print bikinis packaging my items as opposed to old guys from Arkansas, but each to their own. My wife insists I don't have a firm grasp of Amazon's business practices, but I know what an Amazon is and why else would they call it that? Anyway.

Installation:

If you own a knife, a drill with a 3/16" bit and a phillip head driver, and a jig saw, your good. If your a perfectionist, bring a square and a chalk line. (I brought both). Find a stud, or really just the void area between two studs, and stab it like you mean it to make an opening for your jig saw. Cut over until you hit the stud, then cut out a box between the studs with the right height for the rough opening based on which safe you bought. Remember to stay a few inches above electrical outlets and remember if there is plumbing on the other side of the wall (so pipes inside the wall...), don't be that guy.

Test fit, trim any dry wall still in the way, and then use the included lag bolts to secure it to studs on either side. Counting getting the tools out and vacuuming up the mess, I was done in less than half an hour.

Quality:

Average overall, good for the money. The finish looks good, although the perfectionist in me noted the small chip in the finish in one corner and a small dent on the back (the part that's inside the wall that you'll never ever see). The lag bolts are reasonably hard, but make sure your bit fits tight as they will round out pretty quickly even with a pilot hole.

Shelving:

Better than I expected. You get three full sized shelves and one little shelf. If you are storing long guns, depending on how long, you may only be able to use the little one. For what I'm storing I could put them all in, and have plenty of room. The shelves are held with small phillips head screws and can be moved with a minimum of fuss in probably a minute each. Each shelf has a lip to keep items from rolling off and has a foam pad, as does the bottom of the safe. There are three groups of three mounting points, and if you are storing jewelry you can mount them close together using the top and bottom of one mounting point, or if you are storing more bulky items space them out more with one at each point (picture at the end will show this better than I'm explaining it).

Fireproofing: None. Not insulated.

Security: The metal is reasonably thick and the locking lugs and mechanism feel solid. Its keyed and the lock engages positively. Its a three point system, one big lug at the key and then a top and bottom lug. That said, its definitely not a true gun safe. A determined burglar with a tool and some time can get it open. In an urban environment with an alarm, you're probably good. In a rural environment where a burglar may not be so quick to vamoose, you may have an issue. For the worrisome about kids and guns, no way is a kid getting in it without a key, and the key stays in the lock if its open.

Looks: Very plain. It could easily be disguised as a breaker box if one were so inclined. It mounts flush enough that you could also hang a picture or mirror (a door mount mirror would likely fit perfect) over it and none would be the wiser. The finish it thick and appears durable, only imperfection noted was a small chip on one corner.

So, here's my install along with my mint condition collection of California Raisin figures. Yup, its a raisin safe. Nothing to see here, move along.

131188_378920925523761_1818105074_o.jpg

If you don't have any raisins you want to store, it will hold long guns, pistols, etc. If one wanted to use it for jewelry, some of those sticky backed hooks stuck inside for necklaces and the shelves for rings and whatnot would be perfect.

Last edited by a moderator:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom