Not open for further replies.

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    Hi all -
    I'm usually not the quickest to review products, but I love this rifle and want to share it with you all. I've had it for 6 months now and feel comfortable in writing a review. Some of you have probably seen this as the ugly Thompson Center that sort of looks like their Venture line, but with a very free floated barrel. The main appeal of this gun is the interchangeable barrels and bolts. If you know Thompson Center, you know that they really helped make popular single shot rifles and pistols that can change caliber by changing the barrel. they've done the same thing here, but with a bolt action.

20121003_141146.jpg

So, there's 1 universal receiver and stock. Then there are different bolts (4 right now), that service a total of 10 different calibers. T/C groups these into 4 groups. These groups are based on overall cartridge size (specifically case diameter). So, a .243, .308, 7mm-08, and even a 22-250 can ALL be used with a "B" family bolt -- this is the most universal bolt right now with their current line-up of calibers. I currently own an "A" bolt with .223 barrel, and a "B" bolt with .243, and a .308 on order.
    The families go as follows:
    A family = .204 Ruger, .223
    B family = .22-250, .243, 7mm-08, .308 (most versatile group)
    C family = .270, .30-06
    D family = 300 Win Mag, 7mm Rem Mag

If you stay in the same family, you only need to change the barrel.
    The big advantage is that you can get a lot of bang for your buck. Right now, the rifle (that is, one complete rifle) costs about $550, with a separate barrel running about $190 = 2 guns for under $750 = good for my wallet! Even if you switch caliber "families" and need to change bolts, they can be had for about $120. Each barrel comes with the matching magazine, magazine housing. The bolt throw - not angle, but the bolt travel distance - is controlled by the magazine housing and the bolt itself - so luckily the travel for a .223 is much shorter than for a 30-06. Each complete rifle comes with a set of tools (T/C specific torque wrench and an adapter) to change the barrels and remove the stock. All barrels use the same size barrel nut to attach to the receiver. It takes about 2 minutes to change calibers.

Barrels are completely universal (in regards to LH or RH), but the receiver and the bolts are for either Left hand or right hand.
    It's lightweight!!! That was one of the main reasons I got this gun over some of its competitors-- Weighs in at 6 3/4 lbs.

So, now to the REVIEW part - First of all, I like it!! It's ugly, I'll admit that, but it's damn accurate, comfortable, and convenient. I have mine set up with a Vortex Viper HS 4-16x44 and it is deadly!! The high comb cheek piece is actually very comfortable, the barrel really is VERY free floated, and it looks a bit goofy. I think they will be coming out with a line of bull barrels.

The trigger is just ok, on par with an off-the-shelf Remington 700. It can be adjusted, but mine won't let me go any looser than how it came from factory (comes with allen key to loosen/tighten).

The safety is good, and you can operate the bolt with it on.

Now, my favorite part - it's accurate. I am not a competition shooter by any means. My definition of accurate is what most real shooters call "hunting accurate." This blows that out of the water. They guarantee 1 MOA (w/ 3 shots).

This group was shot off of a bipod in a field at 120 yds. (.223, Hornady Superformance 53 gr.) That's a dime - if you ignore the 1 flyer on the right that's jsut about 1/4 inch!! ... off of a bipod ... in a field

Did I mention it's accurate?!?
    20121122_114317.jpg

Here's a separate barrel in packaging
    20121003_125427.jpg

Here's a separate bolt in packaging
    20120929_131540.jpg

My hunting set up on bipod
    20120915_004541.jpg

finally, my .223 and .243. Notice the difference in case diameter (at the bottom), this is the main factor in how they group the calibers. Secondarily, is overall case length - but this can be slightly adjusted since the chamber is in the barrel itself (i.e. a 22-250 and a 308 can both be shot with the "B" bolt, but a .308 and a 30-06 can not be, the 30-06 is in the "C" family
    20120929_234411.jpg

If you are looking for a bolt action, you should at least consider the T/C Dimension. Other guns in its class (T/C Venture, Tikka T3 lite, basic Rem 700, Ruger American, etc.) don't offer nearly the versatility that the Dimension does.

I hope this review is helpful. If you can live with the looks, this is a great gun for the money!

Last edited by a moderator:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom