Review: Aimpoint H1 vs. EOTech XPS (pics/vids)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Titlepic.png

Anyone who's been around INGO for any amount of time knows my affinity for Aimpoint brand red dot optics. I've had personal success with both a C3 and, most recently, a Micro H1. I've said many times that I believe they are superior optics to the EOTech brand red dot sights.

But I also believe its important to be balanced and fair, so when INGOer mammynun offered to let me try out his EOTech XPS, I jumped at the chance. I've had the opportunity to try it the past few weeks and compare it to my H1, and I wanted to share my impressions with my fellow INGOers.

Please keep in mind that this wasn't a scientific experiment or a torture test. I simply handled and used both optics side-by-side and explored what each had to offer.

The XPS was EOTech's answer to shooters who were asking for a new and improved holographic sighting system. They sought to improve where previous EOTech models had failed-- namely a smaller and stronger package, lighter weight, longer battery life, and an improved battery type and position.

The H1 (or T1) is everything that shooters love about the full-sized Aimpoints, but in a smaller and lighter package.

Here are some basic specs on our contenders:

Aimpoint H1

• Reflex collimator sight - parallax free
    • Battery life: 50,000 hours
    • Auto shut-off: No
    • Reticle: single 4MOA dot
    • Mount: not included, must be purchased separately
    • Average street price: $550
    • Price as pictured: $600 (includes LaRue mount)
    EOTech XPS

• Transmission holography - parallax free
    • Battery life: 600 hours
    • Auto shut-off: Yes
    • Reticle: 1MOA dot inside 65MOA circle
    • Mount: can be mounted directly, or purchased separately
    • Average street price: $489
    • Price as pictured: $591 (includes LaRue mount)

To compare other aspects of the two optics, I commissioned my photographer Mother for help.

For size comparison, the H1 is smaller than the XPS.

Optics-2.jpg

Optics-3.jpg

Optics-4.jpg

Optics-5.jpg

Optics-6.jpg

Here you can see both mounted together on an AR for perspective.

Optics-7.jpg

Optics-8.jpg

Optics-12.jpg

Optics-15.jpg

The XPS is noticeably heavier than the H1. Putting them both on the scale I realized that the XPS weighs twice what the H1 does.

Optics-10.jpg

Optics-11.jpg

To turn on the H1 and adjust the dot's brightness one turns the large dial on the side. This is very simple and can be done with gloves on or in the dark.

Optics-26.jpg

For making windage and elevation adjustments, the caps are unscrewed and then flipped over to turn the dials. Because of this, and because they don't have any kind of retainer, I'm always worried that I'll lose the small caps in the field. The adjustments are very crisp "clicks". All caps are o-ring sealed.

Optics-27.jpg

Optics-29.jpg

The battery is a single button-type and is located inside the adjustment knob. The compartment cover can be removed with a flat-head screwdriver or coin.

Optics-30.jpg

To turn on the XPS and adjust the donut/dot's brightness one pushes the UP arrow button. Pushing the DOWN arrow dims the reticle. Pushing them both simultaneously turns the unit OFF. I found the buttons to be somewhat mushy, and their position at the rear of the unit could be problematic if using a magnifier or fixed BUIS.

Optics-31.jpg

Windage and elevation adjustments can be made directly on the side of the unit with a flat-head screwdriver. Adjustment clicks were very positive.

Optics-32.jpg

The battery is a transversely mounted CR123, which means no more smashed battery contacts under recoil. I like the captured and o-ring sealed cap.

Optics-33.jpg

Many folks talk about the EOTech's "large viewing window" and how it "blocks less peripheral vision". I found this to be quite the opposite, as the body of the XPS is much larger overall than the H1.

Optics-18.jpg

Optics-17.jpg

And if the optics are used how they are intended- with BOTH eyes open- this becomes a non-issue, as both units disappear once the non-dominant eye is opened.

(photographs were taken with a remote camera and no BCG present in the weapon)
    Optics-19.jpg

Optics-20.jpg

One of the biggest differences between these two optics is the pattern of the reticles.

The Aimpoint H1 uses a single 4MOA dot.

AIMPOINT-9000L-2-MOA-Dot-Reticle-11419-Pic2.jpg

The XPS uses a 1MOA dot inside a 65MOA ring.

eotech_a65_popup.jpg

To get a better feel for the different reticles I first tried engaging a single steel plate in rapid fire.

First, the H1.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZUaFQ_UvJk

Then the XPS.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=laEBvCAF7jM

Overall I found the XPS reticle too "busy". Visually I kept switching my focus from the dot to the ring and back again. I thought perhaps the larger ring would be helpful in closer engagements, but its larger than I had anticipated and seemed less precise. I did note later, however, that it was helpful with targets that were also round.

To work on target transitions I used a 4-paddle plate rack from Bobcat Steel. I ran several iterations with both optics.

Here was the best run using the H1.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ql1TK1pIMQc

And here was the best run with the XPS.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y342AoJQxqk

I didn't put those runs on a timer, but those using the XPS seemed a hair faster. I found that the round circle was easily superimposed over the round paddles. I think I would like the donut/dot reticle more, however, if the "donut" was smaller-- like 30MOA.

At the end of the day my pick is the Aimpoint H1. The 50,000 hour battery life, smaller size, and lighter weight are the big points for me. The XPS is still a great optic, is built like a tank, and has solved many of its past-life issues. But its still too hefty, has an unnecessary reticle, and can't put up any decent battery life numbers. If it had a single-dot reticle option and was priced closer to the $350-mark, I think more AR shooters would be willing to overlook the lack of battery life measured in years.

After re-installing the H1 back on Project Iron Widow, I had to find another use for the XPS. Turns out it makes an excellent (albeit very expensive) toy truck. ;)

Optics-22.jpg

Optics-24.jpg

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

A very big thanks goes to mammynun for letting me give his XPS a try. He tends to buy top-notch gear and I appreciate his generosity in handing over a $600 optic/mount combo. :yesway:

Also thanks to my Mother who spent the afternoon doing "gun stuff" with me by helping me take the studio pics and doing all the post processing work. And for the truck idea. :D

Original thread here: https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...view_aimpoint_h1_vs_eotech_xps_pics_vids.html

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom