Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    For my first review, I’ll be reviewing the Maxpedition Jumbo Versipack.

JUMBO VERSIPACK Concealed Carry Sling Bag

There are quite a few different versions of the Versipacks from their small Thermite to the huge Colossus and Sabercat models, but lets concentrate on the Jumbo.

The Jumbo is made to wear on your hip with a diagonal weight bearing strap. It also has a smaller waist strap that will offer additional security to keep it from flopping around, as well as help reduce the load on your shoulder much like a hip strap on a backpack.

They are available in both a right hand carry as well as left hand know as the “S-Type”. Other than a few minor changes, the S-Type is simply a mirror image of the standard pack. They recommend the S-type for use when Open Carrying on your right, or for Concealed Carry for lefties. Carrying on the "opposite" side isnt bad when necessary but you do notice the zippers are harder to operate, and its not as convenient.

There are other variants of each pack that are configured for specific uses based on customer industry feedback (like LEOs). The only other important difference is the “EDC” models are made from lighter weight fabrics (800 Denier), thinner straps, etc so therefore aren’t as sturdy.

First impression after opening the box is DAMN! This thing is STURDY. It is made from 1050 denier nylon, which is some of the thickest, stiffest Cordura I have ever felt. The zippers are very heavy YKK zippers with paracord pulls which provide smooth operation with easy to grab handles.

There are pockets of various sizes spread across it and PALS webbing seemingly everywhere allows you to expand it as you prefer with other pouches that they offer. They use a unique strapping system called Tac Tie that works well, but honestly is a PAIN to get on and off. Good that you don’t have to worry about discovering a pouch is somewhere over the past 3 miles you just covered, but bad if you wish to move stuff around frequently to load out the pack based on your needs for that specific trip, etc.

The main pocket is wide enough to hold an iPad, but not really deep enough by about 2”. As long as you don’t fill that pouch it will fit diagonally. It should handle an iPad mini or other 7” tablet without a problem. It has a storm collar on the main pocket to further protect items from rainwater entering around the sides of the flap.

It has a bottle pouch that holds up to 32oz Nalgene jar. Its adjustable/collapsible so if you don’t feel like carrying a bottle that day you can (in theory) collapse it out of the way. It really doesn’t collapse totally, but since that part of the bag is behind you, its not very noticeable.

My favorite feature is the CCW holster. At the top of the main flap is a zippered compartment. The inside of that section is lined with Velcro loop to attach universal pistol and mag holsters. Its great in warmer weather because I can carry even a large frame auto in shorts and a tee (or even shirtless for that matter) with not a chance of imprinting. Not that I endorse carrying into civil gun free zones, but entering events with security that visually checks purses and bags I have never had security notice that compartment. Its always open the main flap (which further hides that zipper) and they wave you right on through. Only once did a guard want me to open the other two visible pouches, but he still missed the “important” one. (YMMV)

They are available in a multitude of colors, and even Pink for the ladies.

Speaking of the ladies… my wife would tear up purses and standard sporting goods store backpacks every 6 months due to how cheaply they were made. She’d rip straps, catch liners in the zipper heads, derail the zippers, break the pulls, etc. and I was CONSTANTLY buying her a new one. I bought her a pink Jumbo and 6 month in and you can barely tell she has used it. The worst she has done is manage to untie the knots in the pull cords repeatedly. She carries her wallet, snacks and drinks for the kids, as well as a change of clothes for our littlest who still has regular “accidents”. It makes a perfect “diaper/mommy” bag, and if she decides to CCW, it allows her to go into full momma bear mode as well.

I’ve not really found anything bad about this bag. Its incredibly durable, well made, and I cant wait to buy more of their products.

0412k_7_detail.jpg

0412k_3_detail.jpg

0412k_6_detail.jpg

*********************************************************************************************
    Link to Original thread: https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...gear/298542-review_maxpedition_jumbo_bag.html

Last edited by a moderator:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom