• ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

wally05

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008

Review: Safariland 7TS Series 7378 Level 1 Concealment Holster (Paddle and Belt Mount for 1.5”/1.75” Belts)

Safariland 7TS Webpage

**Note: The Glock 23 in this review was unloaded the entire time. The mag is inserted in some pictures to simulate actual carry size for some concealment pictures.**

The 7TS series is a new version of the ALS holster from the 6300 series that has become very popular in today’s LE field. I use a 6360 on duty and it is a great holster. To compliment it, I bought a 6378, but I found it to be too bulky at times for my tastes. Many people said the same to Safariland, so they developed the 7TS holsters.

Imagine a slightly cutdown and lighter version of the 6378/6377 holster and you have a 7TS. The new polymer, called “SafariSeven”, that they make these holsters from is VERY heat/cold /water resistant. Also, it is EXTREMELY durable. Supposedly, you can clean the thing with a scotchbrite pad and it comes out looking great.

The belt used is a 1.5” Daltech Force BioBelt, of which I am also a big fan.

Mounts:
    The 7378 holster, just like the 6378, comes with a paddle AND belt mount that can be easily interchanged for the intended use.

--Paddle- The paddle attachment is extremely comfortable and contours my hip very well, even if I slide the holster further back to the 4:00 position. There is a hook that keeps the holster from coming out. As such, it is fairly hard to take off, but with practice it works fine. The paddle works best with 1.5” belts. I feel the pistol rides higher with the paddle mount, which I like for concealment.

--Belt Mount- The belt mount comes ready to accept 1.5” belts, but the inserts can be removed for use with 1.75” belts. It is cant adjustable from straight down to forward cant and a slight backwards cant.

** As with most Safariland holsters, the 7TS is compatible with the QLS systems and with other attachments available for their holsters.**

Retention:
    The 7TS holsters utilize the ALS system. A quick swipe of the thumb and the gun is released. This is where I wish there was a little more friction tension on the gun like you get with the 6378 and my duty 6360. When the pistol sits in the 7378, there is some up and down movement . I was running up steps yesterday and I could hear my Glock 23 bouncing up and down slightly in the holster. There doesn’t appear to be a way to tighten it.

-- A design highlight of the 7TS over the older 6300 series holsters is the LACK of a suede lining that rubs the pistol’s finish. You can see in the pictures the SLIGHTLY raised small strips that make contact with the pistol to hold it in place. So the pistol’s contact with the holster is VERY minimal, allowing for water and debris to get out of the holster AND it helps reduce wear on your pistol. This may be why they have no way to adjust friction retention, making it a Level 1 retention holster.

Size:
    I just wanted to note that the 7TS holsters do shave a chunk of weight that the 6378/6377 have. I do not have the exact amounts, but it definitely feels lighter. Safariland boasts an approximate 25% in weight reduction over the 6300 series of holsters. There is also reduced “girth” from the 6378/6377 holsters by quite a bit. It feels much more like a concealment holster. I am able to conceal it fairly well with a button up shirt and the holster at the 4:00 position. It is a good way to mesh concealment with the ALS retention system that some people may want for open carry.

Finish:
    This new “SafariSeven” material is very interesting. Safariland states that the new finish is non-abrasive to your firearm's finish. Supposedly, these holsters can resist temperatures as low as -50 degrees and as high as 300 degrees Fahrenheit without any deformation of the holster’s shape. It is also resistant to damage caused by submersion in water. If you’re an LEO or open carrier that carries in rain, snow, or shine, that’s a very nice thing to hear. The color resembles a flat black, similar to the STX finish. I’ve tried scratching the heck out of it and I couldn’t get anything to stick. I'm sure it is not impervious to everything, but it seems very durable.

--Colors available currently are Coyote Brown and Black.

Concealment:
    As I said before, I would place this as a great medium between a true concealment holster and a holster that has an active retention system for anyone wanting such a feature. I have an athletic build and I can conceal my Glock 23 under a loose fitting button up pretty dang well. Coats are definitely no problem. If I was using a Glock 26/27, I think I could conceal even better. Safariland did improve upon this greatly over the 6378/6377 holster by reducing the width and overall making it a much more compact design.

The only problem I’ve found is that the top corner edge near the rear sight has a very sharp drop off, which catches on shirts and shows a definite line under a tighter shirt. It doesn’t fit as close as the 6378/6377 near the rear sight.

The paddle makes the pistol ride slightly higher than the belt mount, but the belt mount does pull it a little closer to the body. The forward cant setting on the belt mount cants it forward slightly more than the paddle mount.

This is a not a super deep concealment holster. If you want that, go with a specialty made flatter pancake or IWB holster. I plan on carrying IWB if I need to conceal under a t-shirt. The 7378 does a pretty great job for a “big box” holster with an active retention system.

Ending Thoughts:
    Personally, I consider the 6300 holster series the best duty holsters out today. The design is very intuitive and natural. The 6378/6377 carried the ALS into a holster system great for off-duty/plain clothes LEO use. But, the size was a factor in the design and it seemed to be the #1 complaint from officers I talked to about it. I’m happy to say that Safariland seems to have developed a very robust and useable concealment holster that addresses the shortfalls of the 6378/6377 in a platform that is also just as modular.

The 7TS design is currently available in Duty/Tactical platforms, including a thigh rig platform, along with the concealment version seen here. The pricing is actually supposed to be cheaper than the 6378/6377. I picked up the 7378 at MidwayUSA for $38 plus shipping and the 7377 is $34. But, it is currently only available for the Beretta 92, and the Glock 17/22/31, 19/23/32, and 26/27. Safariland announced on their facebook page that more models are being released monthly.

**Within the past few days, it looks like they released a level 2 version with the SLS hood.**

****************************************************************************
    Link to Original Thread: https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...7ts-7378-concealment-holster.html#post4402632

Attachments

• 050913A_7ts_banner_673x160.jpg
      050913A_7ts_banner_673x160.jpg
      35.9 KB · Views: 2
    Last edited by a moderator:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom