Not open for further replies.

JWAS

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Aug 22, 2011
    Dayton
    Range Report: CZ P-09

Before beginning, be sure to check out my initial review here: https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/handguns/305648-cz-p-09-initial-review.html#post4345246

Well, I finally found time to make it to Crosley’s to really test out my CZ P-09, adjust the sights, and find out just how great of a gun it is. During my initial review/range time I was able to put about 200 rounds through the gun and fell in love. During that time I discovered how well the gun would work with tons of grease/dirt inside of the gun. While that trip proved to me that the P09 could be both very reliable and accurate, I cannot tell you how please I am with it now!

When I arrived at Crosley’s people were already occupying the pistol range, so my friend and I went to the 30 yard range, shot some shotguns, and decided to adjust the sights on the P09. After about 30-60 minutes of slow fire, one shot at a time, and tweaking the pistol (I was being very picky) we got it so that the windage was just right, instead of being off to the left…. (Stupid cross dominant eye sight). All ammo used during this outing was 124gr Olin Corp M882 9mm Ball NATO. The first picture I will show you is my first three shot group after messing with the windage (shooting with the pistol rested on a sandbag), again this is at 30 yards.

IMAG0193_zps7852881c.jpg

I could not believe it!!! The grouping was amazing!!!! We moved the sights slightly to the left and the rest was history… This thing can shoot! I proceeded to shoot while standing without any support and I was still amazed at how well I was able to shoot this thing… The 3 shot groups were generally within the 2-3 inch range, with some being less than the 2 inches (pictures below). I cannot believe how well I was shooting this. The play in the trigger during dry fire is not a problem while actually firing the P09. Even a 3 shot group from DA only provided the same results.

Here is a photo of one of the targets with the common results...
    IMAG0235_zps8ecc43bf.jpg

Here is my best grouping...
    IMAG0217_zpsb40f955d.jpg

(My shots were a little low, but I was fine with that since I was shooting at 30 yards and when I get to 7-10 yards, it should be fine.)

I did come across one issue with the gun, plus one dealing with a specific type of ammo. The roll pin holding the trigger in the frame kept slowly coming out while firing (about every 50 rounds I had to push it back in). We placed some locktite on it, hoping that it would hold, but since we didn’t let it dry the roll pin moved once more. We added more before leaving to see if it would hold after it dried, but I may need to use something like superglue since it is in contact with the polymer and not another metal. Or just call CZ and get other one, their customer service has been great to me in the past, so I see no problems with that. I decided to try out some new SD ammo for it as well. I had just bought some Hornady Custom 147 XTP bullets, and this thing would not function with them at all. It would fire, be very accurate, but somewhere during the ejection and feeding of the new round the slide would not go all the way to battery and was slightly stuck in this position with a live round in the chamber. I fired other SD ammo without a problem, but be careful, or avoid, if you are using 147gr XTP rounds.

Now, my final thoughts about this gun…
    Quite simply put, it’s amazing! Aside from the roll pin and the gun not working with the 147XTP rounds, there has not been a single reason to not fall in love. It feels great, shoots EXTREMELY well, holds 19+1, and has been 100% reliable through 600 rounds, 200 of which it still had the factory grease inside (aside from the 3 rounds of XTP). If you find one, please buy it… it is a steal for the price.
    Link To Original Thread: https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/handguns/312287-range-report-cz-p-09-a.html#post4444854

Last edited by a moderator:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom