Not open for further replies.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    My father in law bought one of these new for about $200. I've never really even heard of that model so he let me wring it out today. After shooting it, I decided to do a review in it.

JKEQ7VA.jpg

It looks like a love child of a Sig and a Walther, with some Glock thrown in for good measure.
    It felt great in my hand, similar to a Walther. It's a standard SA/DA with a safety and a decocker. Sights are 3 dot metal and drift adjustable. Mags are 17 rounds and drop free. All of the controls and ambi, even the slide release. Overall fit and finish was decent. I have no idea how much the trigger was set at but it's not horrible. It's sure no 3rd gen S&W, but for $200, I think it is just fine. It came with 2 mags, a hard case and the usual stuff.

Cm8lNh8.jpg

Disassembly is just like a Glock, minus the trigger pull. The recoil spring is a dual coil setup. Racking the slide is real easy. Even easier if you cock the hammer first.

RmPq0xk.jpg

So onto the range time. I hand CCI blazer, Win steel case 115 grain and a little 147 fmj. I put about 100 rounds through it with zero issues. Recoil was very light. It shot a little to the left for me. Accuracy was decent too. I was shooting at about 10 yards (I think. I hadn't planned on doing a review when I shot it.)

So overall, I think it's a pretty decent pistol for the price. I think they run under $300 for an average street price. Will it be a 10,000 round competition gun. Probably not. But For a plinker and, to some, a home defense gun, it works.

************************************************************************************************************************************
    Link To Original Thread: https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/handguns/445821-taurus-809-review.html#post7318849

Last edited by a moderator:

Squirt239

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 7, 2010
    North of Brownsburg
    Just hope it never breaks.

Two pistols recently have been at Taurus for repair for over a year.

I would fix them in house, but I was told the parts were unavailable, unless sent back to the factory.

Each one was a simple fix. Each one took a year.

Just be cautious.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola

I would fix them in house, but I was told the parts were unavailable, unless sent back to the factory.

Just be cautious.

It's my father-in-law's pistol. I doubt he will put more than 20 rounds a year through it.

rugertoter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2011
    N.E. Corner

Just be cautious.
    Heard that. I have three Taurus handguns, an older PT99, a PT22, and a G2. They all run great, but I hope I never have to have anything done to them. Taurus is going to go out of business unless they get their internal issues worked out. :twocents:

solarpimp

Plinker
    Rating - 97.7%
    42   1   0
    Aug 23, 2012
    Irvington
    I have owned several PT111-G2's and they've all been very consistent shooters. I also have shot the PT709 Slim and it seemed to be a solid handgun as well.

fnpfan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 96.9%
    31   1   0
    Jul 4, 2010
    Larwill
    I have had a few Taurus pistols, They have all been decent, I still have a Taurus 1911, its not the prize of the safe, but it has never malfunctioned.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom