Not open for further replies.

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    I am not sure JC Stevens had anything to do with it but the most ill designed scope mount for my Rem 700 was the two piece dovetail set up. Don’t get me wrong, it is sturdy, easy to use and stays rock solid forever. However, the rear base hangs over into the action. Something that I could never get the factory to address. This always bugged me. One time in outfitting our pack mule, the case my rifle was in let go on one end sending the rifle to the ground where it tumbled on a few rocks and such. Seems the zipper gave out from the weight and that case was trashed. Well, with holding my breath, I picked it up off of the ground and went right away to check the scope POI. It was right on but had some scrapes in the finish and a chipped turret cap.

This review is about the replacement mounts and rings that I have done to all my rifles starting in 2004. Note that I was skeptical at first but finally I tried a set of Leupold QRW2 Rings. QRW2 1-in Low Mounts | Leupold

These rings are all steel and precision made. The levers work very good and secure. I have them on everything from .22 to 45/70’s. They allow me to remove the scope for cleaning, travel or storage if I want. They go right back on and keep my zero extremely close if not perfect most of the time. I am not sure I would use them for FClass or other extreme ranges but I have no problem with my typical field use.

On a side note, having loyal roots to Leupold scopes for over 50 years, the company added threads to both bells when they introduced the Alumina screw in accessories in 2004. I turned my entire fleet into the newer ones so I could use the screw caps pictured. They seal the scope tight for storage, travel or cleaning as well. I am glad I outfitted my battery with these new ones as a few years back the company stopped offering the caps and only offer the flip ups. I am not a big flip up guy as I don’t like crap hanging and flopping around on my scopes and such. I am sure the flip ups are great for professional applications but I do not see me needing them anytime soon.

Back to the QRW2 rings that also make it very convenient to mount the same scope on different models of the same gun without having to adjust the rings. I can put one scope on all my 700 SA or 1 scope on all my 700LA, Marlin 94’s, Marlin 336 or 95’s, or any other of my multiple models that use the same action. I have used them heavy for about 10 years now and cannot find one complaint. The old mounts are going on the sell table soon. Yes JC, Fred and Mark have left the building but since I can’t get the new kids to reengineer the dovetail mounts, I beat them at their own game by changing to QRW2’s.

View attachment 93779

View attachment 93780

View attachment 93781

Attachments

• IMG_0390 (002).jpg
      IMG_0390 (002).jpg
      389.4 KB · Views: 0
    • IMG_0374 (002).jpg
      IMG_0374 (002).jpg
      360.3 KB · Views: 0
    • IMG_0391 (002).jpg
      IMG_0391 (002).jpg