• Status
    Not open for further replies.

Bummer

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    West side of Indy
    I'm newly returned to the shooting sports. As such, I consider myself a noob.

I was in the Navy during Vietnam and was trained in the basics. Afterwards I did some black power plinking. I squirted several thousand pellets through a scoped Feinwerkbau 124 sporter. For the last ten years I haven't shot anything but a soft-pellet pistol to keep the squirrels off the suet.

I ride a Venture touring bike most of the time. I don't like to winterize. If it's in the twenties and the roads are clear I'll put on the snowmobile suit and full face helmet and ride. I've been going to Ivy Tech for most of a year. Tuesday before last these things got together and pushed me back toward guns. (I'm not looking for a kleenex. Just telling a story that's come up a lot lately.)

My bike was parked at a fenced lot across from the Children's Museum. This is one of the lots used, in part, by Ivy Tech. At a quarter of Noon I was gearing up to head home after leaving class. It would seem I had chosen a poor spot to park - right across from the security guard's car, but close to an exit. Naturally the guard wasn't there. I also stood with my back to the exit, which wasn't a good idea either.

When I pulled my helmet on there was a young guy pushing up against me, showing me an insultingly cheap-o pistol, and demanding my wallet. After a bit of delay and discussion he whacked me in the face with his pistol. Not a good idea since I was wearing my full face helmet. My glasses put a one drop cut on the bridge of my nose - far less than the damage done every time I tinker with a vehicle. I wasn't even staggered by the impact, after all, the helmet's designed to protect me from hitting the road at highway speeds. By comparison, he hurt his hand noticeably and dropped the CDs he was carrying (how sad). As he picked them up it occurred to me that things could be a lot different if I simply had a gun of my own.

I now own a stainless Taurus 445 with a bobbed hammer, and am awaiting my lifetime LTCH, which I applied for online/L1. Not being one to overdo it, I'm having a holster installed into my riding jacket in shoulder holster fashion. I'm browsing other handguns. I joined the NRA and I'll probably join the USCCA today. I'm making plans to join the Marion County Fish And Game Association at their next meeting. I'm investigating formal training. I joined this site, and will probably become a supporter if there's a way.

The money lost was trivial. My wallet was found that afternoon and I got it back the next day, complete with everything but the cash. The PO factor, however, is clear off the meter.

I'm here to learn, and am highly motivated. I greatly appreciate those who are willing to share their knowledge.

Lock n Load

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    146   0   0
    May 1, 2008
    FFort
    :welcome: and Im glad that you survived the encounter, and that you will be more aware of your surroundings and better prepared too.

Stay safe......

Bummer

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    West side of Indy
    Thanks for the welcome, and well wishes.

Absolutely no argument about my own part in this. I have gone over and over the details of what I did wrong, and not right, up to, and during the encounter. The worst thing I've concluded is that my errors were simply momentary slips. I normally stood where I face the entrance/exit. I normally pay attention to the people walking in the area. That time I didn't really do either. Familiarity, and some really bad weather, bred complacency and inattention. I hope to not let it happen again.

jlm223

Aim Small Miss Small
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Jun 22, 2009
    Muncie
    :welcome: to INGO, from Muncie, sounds like you will be more prepared if there is ever another encounter. :ingo:

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    welcomeingo.gif
    Glad to hear you came out of the encounter relatively unscathed. Indianapolis is no place to go around unarmed.

Ruger47274

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    :welcome: 2 :ingo:from Seymour & Thx for serving for us. :patriot:

I did the Lifetime online and had it back in just a few days. WOW !!! The only way to go ! :yesway:

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom