Hello from Avon. Highpower Rifle, anyone?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

cducati

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 15, 2008
    Hi there.
    I got a flyer from the 1500 show today, so I thought I stop by.
    Are there any Highpower of Long range shooters here?

cducati
    CIHPRS.org

Fenway

no longer pays the bills
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2008
    behind you
    Glad we got at least one new member from the event :cheers: Great to have you here and welcome! :thumbsup:

Hi there.
    I got a flyer from the 1500 show today, so I thought I stop by.
    Are there any Highpower of Long range shooters here?

cducati
    CIHPRS.org

Barry in IN

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2008
    Welcome.

Highpower? Yes... Well, I did.

I started in IL in 1989, shooting an M1A. I was living NW of Chicago at the time. I quit for a year or so when the closest range was closed.
    I returned to IN in 1994, and started up again. I shot some at Atterbury, but mostly had to shoot 100-yd reduced course matches since I was working nights and most weekends (I could squeeze a match in after work and still get to bed by around noon or 1PM).

A recurring back injury put me out in 1999, I think. Sitting position was/is miserable for me. I tried to shoot a couple of matches in (I think) 2004, but was pretty much done before..

I hate that. It's still my favorite "gun thing". I grew up reading in American Rifleman about Highpower and guys like Middleton Tompkins and thought that was the ultimate shooting game.
    Sigh.
    I still have all my stuff!
    Someday.
    Someday.

Lars

Rifleman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    Cedar Creek, TX
    I doubt an AR-15 counts as Highpower rifle. But I've been considering purchasing one with the intent of competing in USPSA three gun matches.

I might make that a .308 variety AR so I can compete in the "Heavy Metal" category. I have not as of yet made any purchases to that extent. I'm thinking I'll go to a three gun match or two and observe before making the investment myself.

cducati

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 15, 2008
    "I doubt an AR-15 counts as Highpower rifle"

Hell yes, it does! And they DOMINATE service rifle. Often, it's the platform of choice for "match rifle" as well.
    I can help you want to build an AR for use in either class.

Thanks for the warm welcome!
    I'll be making a trip to Atterburry on the 22nd to practice off-hand, on 200 yard to 100 reduced, if anyone wants go join me.

cducati

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 15, 2008
    Barry,
    I'll bet I've met you at the Atterbuyy range.
    Anyway, I hope you can get back into it.
    F Class is a nice alternative to sitting and standing.
    It's very competitive, as well.
    They changed the targes last year so the X ring is .5 MOA That's 5"@ 1000 yards. Damn!

Lars

Rifleman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    Cedar Creek, TX
    Regarding an AR-15 platform Rifle.

I've never fired a rifle before. I've put 50 rounds of 12gauge trap shot down range, and maybe 3000 or fewer rounds of pistol ammunition.

I'm leaning towards building/buying my first AR as a light weight, 16" CQB battle rifle.

An 18" 1:7 bull barreled 1/2 MOA rifle with 77gr bullets might be my second AR build. In theory this is close to what the current squad sharp shooters are carrying as duty weapons, and should be accurate between 600 and 800 meters per an army buddy.

I may take you up on that offer though. I do want at least one black rifle in the house. Even if my lovely wife eventually makes me replace the fore grip, pistol grip, and stock with the pink or purple parts we saw at the 1500. ;)

cducati

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 15, 2008
    Anytime W9ZEB.
    I would say that if you wish to be accurate to 800 yards, you'll need a bit longer barrel. 20" minimum. 1 in 7" will do just fine with 77 gr or 80 gr SMKs
    But realisicly in a CQB rifle, 16" or shorter is prefered.
    With that lenght twist is less important as past 600 yrds is not the goal of the rilfe.
    You should come to attuerburry next Saturday.
    I can bring a NICE custom "tactical" 300 Win Mag for you to get some trigger time. It's a bit of a waste at 100 yards, but I need to re-zero as I've had the scope off.

Last edited:

Lars

Rifleman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    Cedar Creek, TX
    You should come to attuerburry next Saturday.
    I can bring a NICE custom "tactical" 300 Win Mag for you to get some trigger time. It's a bit of a waste at 100 yards, but I need to re-zero as I've had the scope off.

Can I have you PM me your contact information? I've not been to Attuerburry yet. Also, should I bring a box or two of ammo with me? I always feel bad since bullets cost money. ;)

Else you can e-mail me lars@w9zeb.org with contact information. I'd love to take you up on this offer. Might see if I can convince Pami to come too. ;)

cducati

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 15, 2008
    Cool!
    W9ZEB and I are gonna shoot on Sat!
    I can't wait to surn someone on to highpower.

W9ZEB, I hope that you get the bug after shooting at a mere 100 yards. ;-)
    Nothing beats shooting X after X at 1000 yards, but a nice .2" 5 shot group at 100 yards is rewarding as well!
    You'l love the GAPp #00 WM.

My father wants to shoot his Sigs, so he'll tag along. He has a few. Boy they are nice. Both in .40 cal I tried for years to convince him that .40 is a great round. He was a 9mm fan. Now, I can't keep him from buying NICE handguns. I even got him to but an AR last year! A nice 20" Rock River Coyote.

I'd like a new hand gun some time soon.
    Any sugestions?

Lars

Rifleman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    Cedar Creek, TX
    Cool!
    I'd like a new hand gun some time soon.
    Any sugestions?

I'm partial to H&K pistols. The New P30 if you want a 9mm, or the HK45 for a .45ACP.

I got to handle both of them at the 1500 and was impressed. I know a lot of people think the USP is a bit like a brick, but I'm pretty fond of the way it feels in my hand, and very fond of the way it shoots. ;)

cducati

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 15, 2008
    I have a USP 40 that I've had sience they started making them. I love it.
    Is the P30 available in any other caliber?

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom