Looking forward to joining the community of a well moderated forum!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

XDS9

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2016
    Indianapolis
    Hi there folks,

My reasons for joining this community are to learn more about being a responsible gun owner, stay in the know of important law changes, to learn and better understand current laws, hopefully find some additional public ranges nearby (south broad ripple resident) and some cool people to shoot with and learn from (self defense tactics).

In my family, we were raised around guns, finally, I am a proud handgun owner. My username gives me away, I own a Springfield XDS 9mm. I was partial to this gun, growing up around my uncle who has three XD's and swears by them to be reliable. To my surprise, he tried to steer me away from it for daily carry, but I like the versatility, size, and weight for a multi-use gun.

I have had a few mis-feeds. I've sent about 350 rounds through it so far with probably 15 mis-feeds, which is highly concerning to me. I'd have to look back to figure out which rounds I was using. Not terrible terrible quality by any means. If anyone can speak to this, that would be great. My only thought is that it simply needs to be broken in a bit more for reliability. It's cleaned after every use.

My my second question is about the laws for Marion county self defense. I read a post here, which originally led me to joining... that you are able to let loose if you are defending your life or for protection of property... How far does this go? On property / off property? I'm curious about the legal (court proceedings) ramifications on the property side. Say someone is in my back yard at night steeling my belongings, at what point would it be legally justified
    to shoot? I don't intend to shoot unless I feel threatened for my life or they have a gun from what I can gather at that time. But how do the cops and legal system view it if it doesn't go down just like that? Hope I'm coming acrossed ok here... Any insight and real life examples would be great on this one.

Well, nice to meet y'all! I look forward to hearing back.

XDS9

Last edited:

poppy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2012
    South of Indy
    Welcome to INGO! You speak of mis-feeds. Have you tried different types of ammunition? These are just my thoughts but if a gun does not shoot reliably out of the box, it is not reliable. I do not subscribe to the theory of a handgun needing to be broken in. I also encourage you to take some courses, especially if your going to carry.

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    Welcome to INGO, XDS9. You are asking excellent questions.

As for your gun, magazines are frequently the source of problems with semi-autos. Do you label your mags? Maybe you have one that has been causing problems and can easily work around it.

As for the laws on self-defense, INGO member Tactical Firearms Training offers an excellent class called Essentials of Indiana Gun Law that you should check on as part of your overall 2A training.

:ingo:

Last edited:

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    As to your defense question:

If it's property...let it go, man. Even if you're somehow justified - that's going to be a TREMENDOUS financial and legal burden thrust upon you in a matter of milliseconds. Deterrent: good lighting. An always-on low-level light and a much brighter motion-activated one. Heck, even a motion-activated lawn sprinkler aimed at the stuff you want to keep in place. Quality security cameras. Thorny plants under windows. GOOD windows. Keep them locked. Good doors. Keep them locked.

Please, for the love of God, don't shoot at/shoot someone who's stealing stuff out of your yard. You WILL regret it.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Welcome to INGO, XDS9. You are asking excellent questions.

As for your gun, magazines are frequently the source of problems with semi-autos. Do you label your mags? Maybe you have one that has been causing problems and can easily work around it.

As for the laws on self-defense, INGO member Tactical Firearms Training offers an excellent class called Essentials of Indiana Gun Law that you should check on as part of your overall 2A training.

:ingo:

I highly recommend this class.
    I just took the essentials of ... class Tuesday. And the comprehensive of... class a couple years ago.
    Good information.

repeter1977

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    NWI
    As some have mentioned, check your mags. Another is to check ammo. Certain firearms will not feed various ammo. Might be that your XDS9 really does not like one in particular. It's best to try and log failures, so you can figure out ammo, msg, etc. Another way, since your firearm is new contact Springfield and ask them. There maybe a warning out and a correction you are not yet aware of. Also, it's most likely under warranty, so they'll usually correct any issue. I know companies that I have contacted have been great about trying to get issues resolved. Just some thoughts

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom