• Status
    Not open for further replies.

aztec777

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2016
    Reno
    I have the opportunity to move into a new job in Greenfield, IN and I wanted to get my feet wet with the gun community here.

Steve

aztec777

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2016
    Reno
    Thanks for the welcome wagon.

Could you please give me some general information on the firearms culture and laws in this state?

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup

Could you please give me some general information on the firearms culture and laws in this state?

Welcome to the forum.

Indiana's a pretty red state. Good gun laws. Stand your ground state. LTCH (License To Carry Handgun) is a lifetime license. No guns allowed signs do NOT carry weight of law here, with a very few exceptions. Constitutional carry will probably be introduced to the legislature this year for voting. Open carry is common if you want to carry that way. Indiana has a preemption law that says government bodies smaller than the state can NOT enforce laws stricter than the state laws (a city ordnance that says you can't carry in the public park is unenforceable).

EDIT TO CLARIFY: I wasn't very clear with the preemption definition. The actual code is IC 35-47-11.1-2 and says
    "Political subdivision regulation of firearms, ammunition, and firearm accessories prohibited. Sec. 2. Except as provided in section 4 of this chapter, a political subdivision may not regulate (1) firearms, ammunition, and firearm accessories;(2) the ownership, possession, carrying, transportation, registration, transfer, and storage of firearms, ammunition, and firearm accessories; and(3) commerce in and taxation of firearms, firearm ammunition, and firearm accessories.

Those are a few highlights. There are several lawyers on the forum that are really up to speed in our laws. If there is anything in particular you need to know about feel free to start a thread and ask. Introduction threads like this one are closed after 24 hours to make room for newer introductions. A specific question thread will stay open and get much more visibility.

Last edited:

Spear Dane

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 4, 2015
    Kokomo area

Well,from what I am seeing NV is spinning down the drain pretty fast and you are leaving just in time. I think you will find IN has some of the best 2A friendly laws in the USA. Hopefully 2017 will see Constitutional Carry become law.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom