• Status
    Not open for further replies.

mailman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 16, 2017
    Lafayatte
    Hello all, so exited to be among you. Hope this is a sweet journey. And I have a question for you to help me:
    I visited the police department of Lafayette after giving finger prints at a local biometric center. The front office person gave me a print of my online application and asked me to sign at the bottom. In addition she asked me to write my SSN number at the back of the print out. Is this something that is normal. Is that a legal request by the front office person? Thanks in advance for your replies.

mailman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 16, 2017
    Lafayatte
    Why is LPD collecting Social Security Numbers? Do you have a common name by chance? (Jim Smith or the like)

Welcome to INGO from downtown Lafayette.

Thank you all.

I am not sure if that is legal even because she specifically asked me to write it on the back of the application. Wondering any one else here had a similar experience.I don't have a common last name.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Thank you all.

I am not sure if that is legal even because she specifically asked me to write it on the back of the application. Wondering any one else here had a similar experience.I don't have a common last name.

Welcome. I'll play the strict constructionist and say that no matter what, its not proper. SSA specifically says that the SSN is not to be used for ID. (unless you are dealing with the SSA)

Of course that doesnt stop that decades old rule from being applied simply because it is more convenient to ignore that departmental rule than for everybody else to figure out a better way to ID each of us.

As for the actual legality given the propensity for EVERYONE to ignore that rule, I'll leave that practical answer up to the lawyers in the house.

Personally I would have declined to put that info anywhere it was not mandated. (e.g. the front of the form in the box asking for it; if the form didnt ask for it, I wouldnt give it) But thats just me. I'm a PITA sometimes.

Then again as I think about it, Sheriffs are known for making the rules up as they go along. Frank Anderson, former Marion County Sheriff used to overrule ISP and REQUIRED that all LTCH apps be TYPEWRITTEN. Yep, with a typewriter. Even after we went computerized and the only people with typewriters were the library. ISP was OK with "...or printed neatly" but his staff blacked that part of the instructions on the state form out with a sharpie and tacked on their own step by step that mandated the use of a typewriter. Thank God he is out of office. (I speculated to make it harder for the "ne'er do wells" to apply, reducing the number of inner city applicants)

Welcome again!

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom