oze

Mow Ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 26, 2018
    Fort Wayne
    Hello All!

Thanks for letting me join this group! I was referred here by a friend, and I think I owe him a beer for the favor. I've been perusing the forums (fora?) and am happy to see that this is a friendly group of folks.

OK, about me. I only fired my first handgun *ever* about a month ago, 3 weeks before my 61st birthday.:rolleyes: It all started with a Groupon for an hour of range time for two at Freedom Firearms here in Fort Wayne. I have since taken the Intro to Firearms course, bought an annual range membership, and been to the range three times. I have to say that, after that first hour at the range, I felt positively *giddy*. Not that I shot well or anything, but I just enjoyed the entire experience. Heck, even the smell was intoxicating. It smelled like...victory. But I digress.

I have not yet purchased a firearm to call my own yet, and thus have been renting one each time I go to shoot. Definitely am looking now, but have only narrowed things down to the facts that I prefer a semi-automatic in 9mm. At this time, I can only afford a single gun, and since I plan on carrying concealed, I will have to limit myself to something that lends itself to that purpose, but also to be my home defender, at least for now. Also, I should say that my wife is 100%, knee-jerk,spitting angry, against guns. NOT IN MY HOUSE! She is so beyond reason about it that she is immune to logical, calm reason; it seems as if I was bringing an open box of scorpions home, or worse yet, another woman. Bottom line is that it will be some time before I purchase a gun. Or, at least, one that it easily to conceal carry--at home!

So, I will just watch and learn for awhile, but will no doubt have lots of questions for you all as well. Thanks again.

Dave

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Better late than never! You'll finds lots of info and other stuff here. Keep us updated on your search for the pistol. We are always happy when a noob buys their first gun.

:welcome: to :ingo:

oze

Mow Ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 26, 2018
    Fort Wayne
    Haha, that's a thought. But,after 36 years, I defer to the wisdom of Buddy Guy: it's cheaper to keep her!

oze

Mow Ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 26, 2018
    Fort Wayne
    Better late than never! You'll finds lots of info and other stuff here. Keep us updated on your search for the pistol. We are always happy when a noob buys their first gun.

:welcome: to :ingo:

Thanks! (or should I say, Tanks?) I do need some advice on choosing my first firearm. Should that be a separate thread?

chef larry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 27, 2010
    Hobart,In
    Welcome from Hobart. Good luck with the wife and the introduction of a firearm in the family homestead. Take her to lunch and for fun after the meal let her help you find a new pistol and go shooting. Worth a try.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Welcome! Better late than too late. Maybe as a halfway measure you could talk the wife into going to a range session with a professional to help get her familiar? Sometimes it helps to get someone not in the conversation involved.

I was lucky enough to have started my journey with firearms early in life and by the time I got married to a girl with zero background in firearms (even though her father was a decorated vet) I let her know it was a non-negotiable issue. She now has a lifetime LTCH and shoots regularly and well.

Good luck!

Morgan88

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2013
    Jasper
    Welcome to the group oze. I think you said it best. "Cheaper to keep her" from the great bluesman Buddy Guy is a very valid concern. Sounds like you have your priorities:-)

Morgan88

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom