• Status
    Not open for further replies.

RUGGIERO

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 5, 2017
    Chesapeake
    Hey all! I’m moving to Indiana (somewhere between Indy and Muncie) this summer. Moving from the VA beach area. I’m a VERY active member on vaguntrader.com with ~3000 posts. I look forward to meeting many of you and calling Indiana home. If there’s any suggestions on places to live between those cities (or not to live) I’d love to hear them. Starting to do my research on gun law differences between the states but there doesn’t seem to be many. I’m an avid 1911 collector and long range shooter so hopefully I’ll have plenty of freedom to enjoy my hobby. Again, I look forward to becoming an active member of this forum.

RUG

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Hey all! I’m moving to Indiana (somewhere between Indy and Muncie) this summer. Moving from the VA beach area. I’m a VERY active member on vaguntrader.com with ~3000 posts. I look forward to meeting many of you and calling Indiana home. If there’s any suggestions on places to live between those cities (or not to live) I’d love to hear them. Starting to do my research on gun law differences between the states but there doesn’t seem to be many. I’m an avid 1911 collector and long range shooter so hopefully I’ll have plenty of freedom to enjoy my hobby. Again, I look forward to becoming an active member of this forum.

RUG

Hi Rug and welcome to INGO :ingo: I'll go out on a limb looking at your location and guess military-affiliated?

RUGGIERO

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 5, 2017
    Chesapeake
    Hi Rug and welcome to INGO :ingo: I'll go out on a limb looking at your location and guess military-affiliated?

Thanks for the welcome! Nope, not military affiliated. I currently work for the DOD but lady RUG is headed to a PhD program in Indiana, so off we go. Just got the official confirmation a few days ago so I am starting the job hunting process. I’m a chemical/nuclear engineer if anyone is hiring ;)

KellyinAvon

Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Thanks for the welcome! Nope, not military affiliated. I currently work for the DOD but lady RUG is headed to a PhD program in Indiana, so off we go. Just got the official confirmation a few days ago so I am starting the job hunting process. I’m a chemical/nuclear engineer if anyone is hiring ;)

I retired from the USAF in 2007, last base was Langley. When I see that area I think military since there is a lot of military in that area.

KellyinAvon

Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Late 80s we had work done there when a tugboat decided to ram us. Split the seam between 2 ballast tanks and lost 1/3 of our starboard buoyancy.

Did you board them and scuttle their boat? That seems reasonable to me. Torpedoing them could've caused serious collateral damage, especially if you missed.

RUGGIERO

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 5, 2017
    Chesapeake
    Small world that some of you guys know this area. It is definitely a predominately Navy area so I can see why that would be a first guess. I’m hoping not to leave the federal gov’t but the only job I see up there is in Crane, IN which is far from her school in Muncie :(

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Small world that some of you guys know this area. It is definitely a predominately Navy area so I can see why that would be a first guess. I’m hoping not to leave the federal gov’t but the only job I see up there is in Crane, IN which is far from her school in Muncie :(

There's a lot of us DD 214 owners here.
    Which is why we find it funny when people in the past have come on here (not you) and immediately started throwing their expertise around, and backing it up with their 214.
    When you make a point, let it stand on it's own principles. Cause if you throw out "I HAVE A 214", well that just opens up the floodgates.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Did you board them and scuttle their boat? That seems reasonable to me. Torpedoing them could've caused serious collateral damage, especially if you missed.

We repelled boarders one time. Well, it turned out we were in the line of fire, so we hid behind the sail.

KellyinAvon

Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon

Crane has A LOT going on. Considering it is a really huge bomb dump it's a good thing it's in the middle of nowhere (fairly close to where I grew up, so I can say it's the middle of nowhere) and would be quite a commute from Ball State. Going that route you could look two residences, housing costs near Crane will be low. Then again coming here from the Hampton Roads area all housing costs will appear incredibly low.

Jeepster48439

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Marion County
    :welcome: from Indy! Grew up in Va. Beach. Retired from the Navy in Norfolk. Sorry can't help too much with where to live near Muncie. But if you decide to live closer to Indy (south of Anderson), I can certainly be of help there.

RUGGIERO

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 5, 2017
    Chesapeake
    Thanks for the help! I’ll be checking on here more frequently as the move gets closer. Hope you all don’t mind me asking questions about the area, etc as I think of them? Thanks again

RUGGIERO

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 5, 2017
    Chesapeake
    A quick google maps search of Anderson, IN actually seems like a pretty reasonable spot to look. I’m assuming I will be finding employment in Indy, but I have started looking yet.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom