• Status
    Not open for further replies.

mikeb27

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 14, 2018
    Merrillville
    Just found the forum, and can't wait to dive in for more information.

My wife and I, and our two sons, just moved to Merrillville from the south suburbs of Chicago back in February.

Both my wife and I both have our Illinois FOID cards. We're looking at obtaining our firearms licenses and eventually concealed carry.

Neither of us have a gun at this point, but that's on the list after we get our licenses. We've had plenty of date nights at the range though.

If anyone has any hints/tips/suggestions as far as the license/concealed carry process, or any ranges and FFL dealers/shops in my area, I would greatly appreciate them.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Welcome to the forum from another person in Merrillville.

Some of us in NWI hang out in this thread...
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/break-room/454000-nwi-ingo-general-post-part-15-a.html

Go ahead and jump to the end, you don't have to read the whole thing.
    It's just us chatting about NWI stuff.
    Sometimes we might have a "Meet & Eat", or a "Meet & Shoot". Good ways to meet fellow INGOers, or maybe shoot their guns and try them out.

by southlake mall, is a new range, Shoot Point Blank.
    https://shootpointblank.com/shoot-point-blank-merrillville-indiana/
    They also have a facebook page.
    Sometimes they have training.

Another place for training would be
    https://infinitysolutionsusa.com/
    They also have a facebook page, and at least one of the instructors is here on INGO.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    Welcome from Hobart. Quite a few gun shops. As Act mentioned there's point blank. Also westforths in Gary, Blythes in Valparaiso and Griffith. Theres kempfs in Michigan City and im sure you know Cabelas and Bass pro shops are also local.
    Point Blank and Blythes have ranges but you could also look into joining an Izaak Waltons as well. Im a member of the Glen Park chapter and a family plan is $150 per year. Gives you access to indoor pistol and archery range as well as shooting trap if you're into that.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I don't know what you know, so I'm going to state some things, just to be clear. If you already know them, well, I don't know what you know. And I'd rather state something, than assume you know it.

1. We have NOTHING like a FOID card here. You can buy a gun, or the wife can buy a gun. You can buy all you want, providing you are not an "improper person" (basically felon or mentally a danger to others, if I remember right).

2. You can have the gun in your home, even carry it around your property. You can carry it around other private property, with permission from the owner of the property. Such as, if I give you permission, you can carry it around my yard, though I would hope "carry" means "holstered". The carry license is for when you are on public property, such as the street between your house and mine.

3. Here it is called a License To Carry Handgun, or a LTCH. You can Conceal Carry (CC), or Open Carry (OC).
    The state of Indiana doesn't care, the law doesn't state either is illegal. The law only states what is illegal, and since neither are stated, neither is illegal.
    If you go to the Indiana.gov site, go to the FAQs, one of them states OC vs. CC. The answer of the FAQ is, that OC is permitted, but the State Police would rather you CC, to keep down on them answering calls.

4. Don't believe a random voice on the internet. I could be lying to you.
    Take classes.
    Look stuff up on the internet.
    INGO member Guy Relford is a "gun lawyer". His company, Tactical Firearms Training, is out of Indianapolis, and he has a good law class. Sounds boring, but it's not. Knowing the law is as important as being able to shoot.
    Also, several members here will help. But always verify. ALWAYS VERIFY.

5. Learn safety.
    Start pointing the pistol at people, and many (if not most) INGOers will stop hanging out near you.
    Many of us will be happy to teach. There are also classes.
    I do not think training should be REQUIRED to own a gun, or get a LTCH. BUT, I highly RECOMMEND it.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    6. Don't need to go RUN OUT and buy a gun immediately.
    Several members will be more than happy to let you shoot their guns. Either meet you at the range, or during a "Meet & Shoot".
    This means you can "test drive" a gun.

Otherwise, it feels good in your hand, you buy it, or the wife does, and then when you shoot it, you hate it.

Take the time to get to know some INGOers. To learn about the guns and what's different about different ones. To learn some of the law and what's different from Illinois. A LOT is different from Illinois.

They sell guns everyday. They make more everyday. There is no rush. UNLESS your life is in danger of course. I've seen that before.
    In which case, some people can give you a crash course on what you need, which you can hopefully then take a class later.

mikeb27

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 14, 2018
    Merrillville
    Thank you everyone.

Definitely not something we're rushing into. We've been discussing getting handguns and concealed carry for years. We both want to be comfortable with what we end up with. Definitely a lot to look at on the forum, should keep me busy this weekend.....

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    The first step (in my humble opinion) is to apply for your LTCH here, https://www.in.gov/isp/2829.htm

Once you have your LTCH Shoot Point Blank will let you "test drive" any gun in their rental cases for free (five rounds).

You can also rent hand guns for $20 an hour, but you need to purchase range ammo there.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Also, just to let you know, they usually close introduction threads after 24 hours. Sometimes a couple days, but just letting you know.
    It doesn't mean you did anything wrong, they just close intro threads.

So, go on over to the NWI thread, and we'll be happy to answer questions.
    Or, just search through INGO. Many questions have already been asked. Or start a thread.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom