Not open for further replies.

Class Dismissed

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2019
    West Lafayette
    Hey INGo!

Found this forum by looking at the threads about the Purdue Rifle and Pistol Club. I am the Advisor to the Club, certified Coach by USAShooting/NRA, Asst. Coach to the Rifle Team and former Coach to the Purdue Boiler Battalion Army ROTC Rifle Team. Sorry-long time lurker so this is a bit "windy".

Members of this forum have been great supporters to the club. If everyone hasn't heard, the Armory is becoming something other than what it used to be so unlike 2017 when only we were impacted, now EVERYONE is unable to use the Armory! Before the announcement was made, the University contacted me, let me know of the developments, and is working to develop a plan to building a new Olympic style facility. We proposed a facility next to the Trap and Skeet facility, include Archery within our facility and incorporate the needs of the Purdue Police and other local LEOs. Had 3 meetings so far, getting another set up for next week with hopefully a design group.

One thing that was mentioned on a thread that I saw, the Rifle and Pistol Club/Teams does draw students in from around the country. We have had the NJ State High Power Youth Champion, Colorado air Team Champ, and others come to Purdue because of the ability to continue their competition shooting careers.

Personally, I shoot and have competed in lots of different things. Shot smallbore bullseye in a church league, service sniper rifle, IDPA, and currently shooting cowboy! Happy to answer any and all questions or field comments about Purdue--My alma mater, too.

Boiler Up!

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    When you say, "the Armory is becoming something other than what it used to" what exactly do you mean?

Oh, and :welcome:to :ingo:.

Class Dismissed

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2019
    West Lafayette
    When you say, "the Armory is becoming something other than what it used to" what exactly do you mean?

Oh, and :welcome:to :ingo:.

Thank you for the 'welcome'.

In 2018, the big Purdue 50 or 100 year plan was released and the Armory was highlighted-meaning it was not going to be there in its current state. In February, Mitch announced at a faculty senate meeting the Armory was going to be "repurposed". In my meeting prior to that announcement, the Univ official told me some faculty member research concluded it was a food dessert on that part of campus (nevermind I could walk across the street to a cafe that sold food). They said they were going to make it a food court. It has now been announced the Memorial Union will be closing for renovations but those that are there will need their contracts fulfilled meaning they need a place to go that is central to the campus to sell food. (That's my guess) Regardless, the Armory which used to be on the edge of campus is now in the heart of it and is prime real estate. ROTC has been working with people on campus to determine other space where they can drill indoors and out, and perform their other activities. Not sure how happy they are at the moment but happy or not, its happening. They said they are going to do a bunch of work on the building in August.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Thank you for the 'welcome'.

In 2018, the big Purdue 50 or 100 year plan was released and the Armory was highlighted-meaning it was not going to be there in its current state. In February, Mitch announced at a faculty senate meeting the Armory was going to be "repurposed". In my meeting prior to that announcement, the Univ official told me some faculty member research concluded it was a food dessert on that part of campus (nevermind I could walk across the street to a cafe that sold food). They said they were going to make it a food court. It has now been announced the Memorial Union will be closing for renovations but those that are there will need their contracts fulfilled meaning they need a place to go that is central to the campus to sell food. (That's my guess) Regardless, the Armory which used to be on the edge of campus is now in the heart of it and is prime real estate. ROTC has been working with people on campus to determine other space where they can drill indoors and out, and perform their other activities. Not sure how happy they are at the moment but happy or not, its happening. They said they are going to do a bunch of work on the building in August.

Food? We never needed to eat on campus. I ate at the Union maybe twice.

Restroyer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2015
    SE Indiana
    Welcome to INGO. Took my twin sons to visit Purdue this past March. They are Juniors in High School. Took the Campus Life Tour, The General Tour, and the Admission / Housing Tour at Purdue. None of the three tours mentioned anything about the Rifle / Pistol Clubs. All 3 tours made sure to take us to the LGBTQ Museum Center thing though. Hope you enjoy INGO and glad that there are people like yourself on college campuses.
    :welcome:

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    :welcome: 2 :ingo: [SUP]from[/SUP] NWI

Glad to have you and hope to hear more about your programs and the future of the Rifle and Pistol club and ROTC program.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom