Not open for further replies.

Drewski

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 4, 2019
    Deep South Side
    Hello all,

My family and I recently escaped...er, I mean, relocated from the NW side of the big city. While it wasn't job-required or due to one particular reason, let's just say that there were many contributing factors that helped us make up our minds. And yes, governmental encroachment on our freedoms (say, 2A?) played no small part, although having lived most of my life there and my kids having lived all of their lives there made it a tough decision nonetheless. Our building up there sold faster than we could find the right house down here, so we're currently in a rental in Homecroft/Southport which makes checking out new listings a whole lot easier than driving 3.5+ hours each time we saw something that we liked. And when you consider how hot the market is around here, one has to strike while the iron is hot; at least twice I got a call from the agent while I was on the ride down here to tell me that the house I was coming to look at just went under contract. We are trying to stay in the general area as we look since we've already gotten to like life around here.

But on to the good stuff! Regardless of what you may hear, there are law-abiding citizens in Chicago that safely own and carry. I never made it all the way to my CCL, but my FOID card is valid and allows me to legally access my 2nd amendment rights (gee thanks Chicago) for home protection. With the eventual CCL in mind, I own an accessible, single stack Walther PPS M2 LE which I find comfortable and easy to fire on those all-too-infrequent trips to the range or the farm.

I look forward to prowling around the boards here to learn, get retail connections, and eventually meet the good INGO folk of Indianapolis. FYI, I actually discovered this site after seeing someone in the grocery store with an INGO shirt on!

Last edited:

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Nice. Welcome to Indiana.

This site is a great resource but also a genuine community and members do get together pretty often in person for either meet and eats, and meet and shoots. I've met a ton of good people here and learned a lot too.

jwamplerusa

High drag, low speed...
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2018
    Boone County
    Welcome to freedom! If you value it, fight for it!

I'm from Zionsville, do pretty much the opposite side of the city from your locale.

I hope you find Indiana to your liking,

spec4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 19, 2010
    NWI
    Welcome to Indiana. Wife and I are escapees from the Peoples Republik of Illinois nine years ago. Very happy over here.

putsjunior

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2008
    Suburma
    Welcome to Southport neighbor. I’m sure you’re already aware, but it’s my duty to tell everyone I meet that escaped Illinois to remember why they left that place when election time comes around. I grew up in southwestern Indiana and you would be amazed at how many people moved over here because of the stupidity of the people’s republic, and still voted straight democrat.

Last edited:

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    You made the best choice - the South Side.

I, for one, urge you to move a little farther south into Greenwood, once you can.

Real estate sites I like: Realtor.com and MIBOR.com are extremely valuable when home searching.

If your budget is over $400k I know of a few good places near me. HA!

We south-siders are also blessed with MANY many good gun shops and at least 2 indoor shooting ranges.

Also - can I ask what NW 'burb you vacated? I have inlaws that live way out NW about 15 miles north of I-90 in McHenry Co.

duffman0286

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Wayne Co
    Greeting and welcome to indiana! My wife is a refuee from chiagoland as well (was a student at ball state and IUPUI Nursing when we stated dating). City girl to farmer kind of story but a avid shooter now!

Drewski

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 4, 2019
    Deep South Side
    Well thanks for the welcome. One of the more unusual things to get used to down here is how friendly people are. I mean, I know it's all relative, and y'all might not notice it, but I'm sure not used to it. Whether on the road, in a store or just generally out in public, folks are noticeably nicer. Honestly, that seems to be already allowing for a power-down of the normal stress levels.

Yes @putsjunior, I recognize the vexation of folks who move to escape a problem, only to bring that problem with them. I've been watching it in TX for a while, among other places. If anything, I'm removing some of the little sanity remaining in Chi-town by leaving. Although you'd be surprised by how many "closeted" conservatives somehow felt the need to confide in me their voting records or political leanings. Not sure if it was my truck or my caps or just general attitude, but in a dyed-in-the-wool democrat city like Chicago, I would regularly talk to folks who (quietly) would feel the need to mention that they voted for Trump, or that the teachers' union is ruining the city, for example. Thanks, but I didn't ask!

@tacticallyfat, I spend about as much time on the realtor websites these days as I do on anything else, it seems. Redfin and Zillow are my sites of choice, but I'll check your suggestions too. I've definitely looked at a lot of listings in the Greenwood area, and we've been there shopping and dining quite a bit; the main issue I have though is that my kids are in St. Jude's which is a bit of a hike from Greenwood. Once I get back into the office, my wife who works from home will need a minimal distance to get the kids to and from school since she's on the clock 8:30-5:30 when she's on her computer. Thus the temp abode here in Southport. I drove past one gun shop / shooting range on Madison on our rides back from the Indians games we've been to. Is that one you're talking about? And although my downtown / northside friends called our neighborhood "the suburbs" sarcastically, we were well within the city limits.

Montrose and Milwaukee if you're familiar. Nowhere around there to (legally) discharge the Walther, but I did have a setup in the basement for the kids to get in some target practice without having any concerns about SWAT team intervention.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom