• Status
    Not open for further replies.

Talkinghalls

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 11, 2020
    NW Indiana
    I'm new to the forum but I'm not new to guns, I own a Glock 19, and a FN-FAL .308 rifle.
    This past year I've discovered a new hobby, backpacking! I did the 21 mile loop in Manistee National Forest in MI (Manistee River Trail one direction, North County Trail back). It. Was. A. Blast.
    After that I have taken my two boys on the same trail (5/6), we completed the MRT (Manistee River Trail) one weekend, then the NCT (North County Trail) the following weekend.
    The first weekend we were there I carried my Glock 19 (9MM) and we had a brown bear creep around our tent and attempted to get our food out of the bear bag in the tree. It left us alone but man, I felt like I brought a knife to a gun fight sitting in the tent with my Glock 19. Second weekend when I took the boys my dad lent me his Ruger GP100 (with .357 Buffalo Bore rounds), no bear spotted but the GP100 did give me a bit more reassurance than my Glock.

I joined this forum hopefully for some firearm friendly advise on backpacking/hiking. Seemingly all hiker/backpacking forums are full of anti gun drama.

Talkinghalls

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 11, 2020
    NW Indiana
    Welcome to INGO. I carry a Glock 40 or 21 in a Hill People Gear chest pack while wearing a backpack. Works for me.

I just checked that out, that looks really cool. I was thinking about making something like that to attach to the front of my pack on the chest strap.
    Does that one not get in the way of yours?

Backpacker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Greenwood
    I just checked that out, that looks really cool. I was thinking about making something like that to attach to the front of my pack on the chest strap.

I am using an Osprey pack that has vertical adjustment on the chest strap. The chest pack is adjustable vertically as well. I have no problems with the chest strap.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    Welcome.

I do a ton of hiking and backpacking. For grizzly country I carry a Glock 20 or 40 loaded with my hard cast nuclear loads. For non griz country I carry either a compact 9 or .380 since it’s mainly for social work. Bear spray always in bear country of any sort.

In any bear country I practice clean camp and hang my food well away from camp.

Halfway down South Kaibab on a rim to rim to rim trip in the Grand canyon I realized I had a spare mag full of 10mm deep in the backpack, even though that trip was only warranting the .380. I carried that extra weight 55 miles down and up and back.

I’ve been out hiking out west twice this summer and planning a rim to rim in a day in the GC in October.

And yes, while there are plenty of gun people in the hiking forums, there’s a loudly obnoxious subset of antigun folks.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.

I carry my Glock inside the hip belt butt end forward. I can draw really quickly that way even when the pack straps are tight. It holds it securely and I can cover it with a bandana if I need to be discrete.

hammerd13

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 20, 2015
    Hamilton County
    I typically use a Hill People Gear chest pack with a kydex trigger guard on a Glock 26 or Glock 19. This setup keeps the firearm off my hips (where the backpack belt resides) and makes the firearm readily available. If you position the two zippers on the main compartment on the Hill People Gear pack towards the upper right corner of the pouch, you can "rip" the pack open with your left hand and draw the gun with your right...very quickly. You just need to practice this, so that you don't flag your left arm while drawing.

Here's a demo of the draw: https://youtu.be/ssjLQhhzEa8

If I'm in brown bear country or want a little quicker access, I'm using a Kenai chest holster https://gunfightersinc.com/kenai-chest-holster/. I carry a Glock 23 with 200 grain hard cast rounds in this application.

Bear spray (always) in bear country. Other people are probably the biggest risk to your safety, generally speaking. Thankfully, the spray and gun work for both.

Last edited:

larcat

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 27, 2020
    NWI
    Welcome -- I'm also new around here. It's a great forum in a world where forums are dying.

I had no idea there were brown bears in Michigan. My father and I had a black bear in our camp near lake of the clouds while backpacking when I was a little kid. Thing was too clever by half. We practiced very good camping protocol, properly hung our packs (limb ==> limb ==> tie off), etc.

Thing knew to swipe the line on the packs. Rangers on the out end knew the bear cause of that move.

I'm new to the forum but I'm not new to guns, I own a Glock 19, and a FN-FAL .308 rifle.
    This past year I've discovered a new hobby, backpacking! I did the 21 mile loop in Manistee National Forest in MI (Manistee River Trail one direction, North County Trail back). It. Was. A. Blast.
    After that I have taken my two boys on the same trail (5/6), we completed the MRT (Manistee River Trail) one weekend, then the NCT (North County Trail) the following weekend.
    The first weekend we were there I carried my Glock 19 (9MM) and we had a brown bear creep around our tent and attempted to get our food out of the bear bag in the tree. It left us alone but man, I felt like I brought a knife to a gun fight sitting in the tent with my Glock 19. Second weekend when I took the boys my dad lent me his Ruger GP100 (with .357 Buffalo Bore rounds), no bear spotted but the GP100 did give me a bit more reassurance than my Glock.

I joined this forum hopefully for some firearm friendly advise on backpacking/hiking. Seemingly all hiker/backpacking forums are full of anti gun drama.

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    I also use the Hill People Gear kit bag with my backpack. I carry a S&W 329PD when I am in bear country, and I recommend it if you can afford that much gun for such a limited role.

Oh, and be sure to actually practice hanging food bags to keep them from bears. I regularly see it done poorly enough that it is basically worthless.

MindfulMan

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 14, 2016
    Indiana
    Hello new guy ! :wavey: Don't forget to tie a bear bell to your pack, or other suitable location. It's wise to let them know that you're coming down the trail, and give them a chance to move-off.

Being older, I mostly carry a day pack, sans waist belt. When out West, this allows me to carry a S&W .500 Magnum in grizz territory. With suspenders, you can carry just about any amount of weight on your waist.

If I was using a backpack with a waist belt, I'd opt for the Hill People chest pack to carry my firearm.

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    Welcome to INGO! I took my 2 boys (10 and 11 at the time) on the Manistee River Trail 5 years ago.

10483646-10152277411363284-3798617043033529028-n.jpg

I am actually planning another trip up there for late next month with my wife and boys to do the full loop of the Manistee River Trail and North Country Trail. I plan on making it a 3 day/2 night trip.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom