• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Ok straighten me out on this. My wife and I are going to be going to a state park reasonably soon to go camping. I have a permit to carry and we're taking my car.

Question 1:
    Can I keep a loaded pistol under the seat of my vehicle.

Question 2:
    Can I conceiled carry or have a pistol in my backpack with us while hiking?

I'm not concerned about bad people, but I read enough about snake bites recently to make me think it wouldn't be a bad idea to have some snake shot with us.

Question 3:
    Anything else I should know or be aware of about guns in state parks?

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    1 Yes, but it's not a recommended method of storage and can shift around, especially if you have to hit the brakes.

2. Yes, you can even open carry.

3. Same rules apply there as everywhere else. Have fun, be safe.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Ok straighten me out on this. My wife and I are going to be going to a state park reasonably soon to go camping. I have a permit to carry and we're taking my car.

Question 1:
    Do you have a lot of snakes in your car or are you just afraid of them jumping in at the front gate of the park?
    Question 2:
    If you had time to dig your gun and snake shot out of a back pack wouldn't it be a lot quicker to just step away from the snake?
    I'm not concerned about bad people, but I read enough about snake bites recently to make me think it wouldn't be a bad idea to have some snake shot with us.

Question 3:

I've just learned FOR THE FIRST TIME I'VE EVER HEARD OF a person getting mugged in a state park. The woman was hiking with a cell phone in one hand and her car keys in the other. The mugger tossed her cell phone in the bushes and she gave up $6 in cash. It was a white male is pretty much the extent of her ability to describe the culprit from what I heard.

I guess I'll have to amend my previous position of the level of absurdity to packing pounds of iron around on the trails of state parks.

Snakes are protected in state parks and you may not shoot, harm, or harrass them in any way with a weapon or other wise so the thought of a gun loaded with snake shot to protect you in the over whelming wilderness of a marked trail in a state park from those dangerous snakes is still absurd. How ever muggers are not a native species and are NOT protected so it's NOT totally out of the question as to their possibly serving a useful purpose. Who knows you may be the second person in my entire life to be mugged on a trail in an Indiana state park.

kolob10

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Nov 28, 2008
    Beautiful Southern Indiana
    Carrying a hangun for protection from venemous snakes is not necessary. Just slowly step away or wait until the reptile moves. My son was bitten by a copperhead years ago. If he had a gun at the time, it would have made no difference. Protection from two legged vermin is a different story.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    This weekend I had an SP101 on my hip at Turkey Run. Had a great time camping, hiking and canoeing with the family.

Don't shoot the snakes.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    I've open carried my Ruger Super Redhawk Alaskan in Clark state forest a few times, never had so much as a second look. I've even walked into the forestry office with it. I'm not concerned with the snakes, it's the weird middle aged dudes, slowly circling the park and staring that give me the creeps.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    I'd be extremely careful about entering an office of any sort armed (it's especially a no no in a federal park). Technically they are government offices and you never can tell how a ranger might react.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    I'd be extremely careful about entering an office of any sort armed (it's especially a no no in a federal park). Technically they are government offices and you never can tell how a ranger might react.
    They have a range there, and I've been in there so many times, I never see anybody I don't recognize. I've actually met the park "rangers" quite a few times while fishing, and never had the slightest problem from any of them. They seem to "get it", but that is, more often than not, the norm in this area.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Question 1:
    In State and Federal parks and forests, yes.

Question 2:
    In State and Federal parks and forests, yes.

I'm more concerned with the 2-legged snakes.

Question 3:
    Do a quick search on here for Army Corp of Engineers. Lots of discussion about carrying on their property, which typically abuts DNR property. Basically, can't carry there.

Other than that, you are good to go. I've carried at the DNR's two offroad areas with no issues.

hoosierfishing

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Jul 17, 2010
    I always carry a gun with me when camping. We camp at Turkey Run every year and nothing more unnerving them having a big group of idiot drunks next to you, mouthing off and being loud. People get a little nuts when they are back in the woods.

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    New Albany
    I've open carried my Ruger Super Redhawk Alaskan in Clark state forest a few times, never had so much as a second look. I've even walked into the forestry office with it. I'm not concerned with the snakes, it's the weird middle aged dudes, slowly circling the park and staring that give me the creeps.
    Hey I was looking for a parking spot!!!!!

Glockshooter149

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2010
    Up here in NWI around the dunes there are reports of mugging and crimes every couple of months. There is no way I wouldn't be armed hiking the trails around the dunes. I love the park, but it is becoming more dangerous. I guess the gang bangers from Gary have found a spot where they could make some money off of unarmed citizens and have plenty of time to escape since there isn't much law enforcement present around.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    You are cool packing the heat, but I wouldn't recommend shooting one of Mr. Ranger's snakes. Discharging a weapon would be salty enough but for killing wildlife inside a park they might put you UNDER the jail.

Hike with a stick. Your walking staff thrusts out in front of you with each step.and a snake will reveal himself in time for you to flip him into the rough. Still, don't even think of pounding Mr. Rangers snake with your stick either. I was caught teasing a genuine timber rattler at brown county park years ago and I was lucky they didn't lock me up! You can't molest or endanger wildlife in any way while at state parks. I would have been better off taking the bite than taking the grief that resulted for teasing it till it was beside it's self.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Dhlawson
    Top Bottom