Mar 23, 2009
    New Hampshire

maxmayhem

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Ocala, FL (for now)
    Whatever the ACLU is doing then I am probably against it....What have they ever done for American's civil liberties? These foreigners are not Americans so I dont care if they own a gun or not but they could probably procure one in the INGO classifieds so I say it is a non issue

maxmayhem

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Ocala, FL (for now)
    The article says, "In what might appear to be a shotgun wedding of opposites, the ACLU has filed a lawsuit on behalf of a non-U.S. citizen alleging that South Dakota's concealed weapons law violates his constitutional right to bear arms."

NON-US CITIZEN = NON AMERICAN

Dont really care if they have a gun or not if here legally but if not here legally then go home and I get your gun

slmlrd

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 19, 2010
    Fishers, IN
    If the guy has been in the coutry that long he should be a citizen, not just hangin out. Join the club, play by the rules, get a gun. Pretty simple.

Constitutional rights for non-citizens?

maxmayhem

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Ocala, FL (for now)
    Ok, if Mexico and Canada sign a reciprical agreement to honor my license to carry and I can enter their country illegally and get all kinds of benefits then I am on board. If not, then go home and write your own senator.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Constitutional rights for non-citizens?

Yes, it is the right of the people, not the right of the citizen. The Founders were very clear that the rights they wished to protect were the rights of man, not just citizens. The Supreme Court has held that the BoR applies to non-citizens many times.

For more background I suggest reading the SCOTUS opinion of Boumediene v. Bush (2008).

Boumediene v. Bush - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Susan Collins spreads central myth about the Constitution - Glenn Greenwald - Salon.com

Non-Citizens Also Have Constitutional Rights - Scott Starr - Open Salon

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Mexico and Canada sign a reciprical agreement to honor my license to carry and I can enter their country illegally and get all kinds of benefits then I am on board. If not, then go home and write your own senator.

The plaintiff is British, not Mexican or Canadian.

gunowner930

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2010
    The ACLU says that's a blatant violation of the 14th Amendment which it says prevents states from being able to make such "arbitrary designations."

^If they feel this way, maybe they should file lawsuits against "may issue" states.

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    A "legal permanent resident" is not the same as an illegal alien. Gunowners should be backing this guy if we believe what we say we do.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    He's got a green card, he's got the same rights as every free man, as the founders wanted. He can legally buy a gun, why shouldn't he be able to carry that gun? For once the ACLU is coming down on the right side of a gun issue. Kudos to them!

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Why should we be backing the giving of rights of citizens to noncitizens?

Not everyone that comes to this Country Legally wants to be a US Citizen.

My Wife has NO desire to be a US Citizen, does that mean that she should be treated differently than I am?! If you moved to, I don't know, Germany would you want to renounce YOUR US Citizenship for that of Germany?! I would not. I am extremely Proud of the fact that I am an American. There is often extenuating circumstances that keep someone from wanting to change their Citizenship also. Sometimes it is as predictable as a financial reason, sometimes it is just pride...

The Fact you are missing is that they went through the legal process of coming to this Country. Why Penalize them?!

nawainwright

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2009
    New Hampshire
    My issue with this is that the ACLU is cherry picking the cases that violate the 2nd amendment (surprise, surprise). Why will they go to bat for the right of a non-citizen to carry a weapon, but will not do the same for a citizen in IL or WI? Why are they not supporting a national right to carry? Seems awfully hypocritical.

Hotdoger

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    Boone County, In.
    Not everyone that comes to this Country Legally wants to be a US Citizen.

My Wife has NO desire to be a US Citizen, does that mean that she should be treated differently than I am?! If you moved to, I don't know, Germany would you want to renounce YOUR US Citizenship for that of Germany?! I would not. I am extremely Proud of the fact that I am an American. There is often extenuating circumstances that keep someone from wanting to change their Citizenship also. Sometimes it is as predictable as a financial reason, sometimes it is just pride...

The Fact you are missing is that they went through the legal process of coming to this Country. Why Penalize them?!

So should she be able to vote, hold an elected office or recieve public assistance?

Do you think all noncitizens should have the rights afforded to citizens only because she is here legally?

Hotdoger

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    Boone County, In.
    He's got a green card, he's got the same rights as every free man, as the founders wanted. He can legally buy a gun, why shouldn't he be able to carry that gun? For once the ACLU is coming down on the right side of a gun issue. Kudos to them!

Founders spoke and wrote about "green cards"?

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    So should she be able to vote, hold an elected office or recieve public assistance?

Do you think all noncitizens should have the rights afforded to citizens only because she is here legally?

She can not vote.
    She is not allowed to hold an elected office.
    She is allowed to receive a limited amount of public assistance with stipulations on how to qualify for it...

Why should a Legal Immigrant be punished for going through the appropriate process to come here... :dunno:

Top Bottom