Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    FREEDONIA
    Action Item for Senator Jim Tomes :yesway:

SB 292 Committee Hearing January 25th

Support His Bill

SB.292 will, if passed, put complete uniformity throughout Indiana by prohibiting local governments from enacting ordinances, rules and regulations concerning firearms that are contrary and more restrictive than state law and code.

I'm pretty sure this bill is going to bring me a lot of opponents from mayors, chiefs of police, lawyers to council members. I wouldn't be surprised to see a lot of cities and towns in the room to testify against this bill.

If any of you want to come up and support me and the senators who agree with me, I'd be happy to have you. The meeting is scheduled for Tuesday, Jan. 25th at 9:00 AM in Room 233. They will be allowing folks to testify for and against. :ingo:

Map of Statehouse Second Floor :patriot:

Bobby

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 14, 2008
    Muncie/New Castle
    I was planning to be in Indianapolis tomorrow morning for an Advance America event. However, I am supposed to meet with Eric Miller right at 9 AM. See the event here: http://www.advanceamerica.com/pdf/AAI_Events.pdf

Will I be allowed in to watch the committee hearings say if I was to get there at about 10 AM? Will I miss too much if I come that late? Its my first visit to the state house so I don't know what to expect. 2nd Amendment issues are very important to me so I may have to put off the Advance America event till next month and just attend the committee meeting. Should be eye-opening! :):

4sarge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    FREEDONIA
    I was planning to be in Indianapolis tomorrow morning for an Advance America event. However, I am supposed to meet with Eric Miller right at 9 AM. See the event here: http://www.advanceamerica.com/pdf/AAI_Events.pdf

Will I be allowed in to watch the committee hearings say if I was to get there at about 10 AM? Will I miss too much if I come that late? Its my first visit to the state house so I don't know what to expect. 2nd Amendment issues are very important to me so I may have to put off the Advance America event till next month and just attend the committee meeting. Should be eye-opening! :):

IMO You can't go wrong meeting & supporting Jim Tomes, Indiana Champion of the 2nd Amendment :yesway:

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    SB 411, 506, 94, and 292 are all being heard in this committee. I've just finished emailing all 10 members of the committee. Of note, looking at their records, I would expect the votes on them to be unanimously to pass, with the exception of possibly Sen. Greg Taylor (D-33). The other two Democrats on the committee both have strong pro-gun rights records, and I've no reason to think they would change their beliefs before these bills go to vote.

The Senators in question are:

Steele (Chairman)
    M. Young (Ranking Member)
    Bray
    Glick
    Tomes
    Waterman
    Zakas
    Hume (Ranking Minority Member)
    Taylor
    R. Young

Of these, most can be contacted from the main page of the legislature. Of those who cannot, most can be contacted from their own pages. Only Sen. Michael Young has to be contacted via a regular email client.

Let's get these bills passed!

Blessings,
    Bill

Bobby

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 14, 2008
    Muncie/New Castle
    SB 411, 506, 94, and 292 are all being heard in this committee. I've just finished emailing all 10 members of the committee. Of note, looking at their records, I would expect the votes on them to be unanimously to pass, with the exception of possibly Sen. Greg Taylor (D-33). The other two Democrats on the committee both have strong pro-gun rights records, and I've no reason to think they would change their beliefs before these bills go to vote.

The Senators in question are:

Steele (Chairman)
    M. Young (Ranking Member)
    Bray
    Glick
    Tomes
    Waterman
    Zakas
    Hume (Ranking Minority Member)
    Taylor
    R. Young

Of these, most can be contacted from the main page of the legislature. Of those who cannot, most can be contacted from their own pages. Only Sen. Michael Young has to be contacted via a regular email client.

Let's get these bills passed!

Blessings,
    Bill

Thanks for posting who the committee members are. Would it help if I was to email them introducing myself, explain that I am a 2nd Amendment supporter, and how I plan to be there in the morning? Sorry for all the questions but I am new to this.

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    Thanks for posting who the committee members are. Would it help if I was to email them introducing myself, explain that I am a 2nd Amendment supporter, and how I plan to be there in the morning? Sorry for all the questions but I am new to this.

YES!! show them that this is important to you. tell them you know of many concerned citizens that will be attending to hold them accountable to the constitution. when people know their boss is watching, they are less likely to pull something stupid. Its good to know that most seem pro-2nd, but its still good to support them by being there.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Here's the text:

Introduced Version, Senate Bill 0292

Am I reading this right, that towns will no be able to ban the discharge of firearms within city limits? :+1: for true state-wide pre-emption (would be nice to not have to worry about accidentally carrying onto a city park where it may or may not be legal), but that seems dangerous. Or at least dangerous enough to get the bill voted down.

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    Here's the text:

Am I reading this right, that towns will no be able to ban the discharge of firearms within city limits? :+1: for true state-wide pre-emption (would be nice to not have to worry about accidentally carrying onto a city park where it may or may not be legal), but that seems dangerous. Or at least dangerous enough to get the bill voted down.

I bet mayor ballard will cry a river over this measure. or he will just tell his boy Frank to go handle it.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?

Glad to help! When writing legislators, it's helpful to think of them as five-year-olds with ADD. I don't say that to be insulting but rather to illustrate that they are very busy and long letters don't necessarily get read. Make your notes short and to the point. As an example, here's the letter I sent to most of the committee members:

Dear Sen. ________,

I am writing in support of the legislation you will hear in committee tomorrow, SB 411, SB 506, SB 94, and most especially SB 292. Your support of all of these bills going to the full Senate and being passed to the House will be much appreciated. Thank you very much.

Most sincerely,

(signed)

Senators Steele, Tomes, Hume, Richard Young, and Taylor got variations on that with small additions recognizing either their support of gun rights or in Sen. Taylor's case, emphasizing that more guns in the hands of good, law-abiding, peaceable citizens has only been shown to reduce crime.

Hope this helps you in writing your letters, and thanks for getting involved!

Blessings,
    Bill

Mosineer

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 1, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    Also here are their phone numbers

The members of the Senate Committee for Corrections, Criminal, and Civil Matters can be contacted by phone:
    • Senator R. Michael Young at (317) 232-9517
    • Senator Richard Bray at (317) 232-9466
    • Senator Jim Tomes at (317) 232-9489
    • Senator John Waterman at (317) 232-9814
    • Senator Joe Zakas at (317) 232-9490
    • Senator Lindel Hume at (317) 232-9523
    • Senator Greg Taylor at (317) 232-9847
    • Senator Richard Young at (317) 232-9491

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Here's the text:

You think that is dangeruous? Or are you saying that to "common joe" the notion that carrying in a park will sound dangerous?

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    You think that is dangeruous? Or are you saying that to "common joe" the notion that carrying in a park will sound dangerous?

I think either I wrote the comment backwards or you understood it backwards. I meant that prohibiting cities from banning the discharge of firearms within city limits is dangerous. I say that because many cities have densely-packed houses without safe directions to shoot and I know a lot of goobers with guns who don't give a crap about their backstop, but they do give a crap about whether or not The Fuzz will ticket them. I'd prefer the wording said something like "cities can ban discharge except when done in self-defense or when discharged at a safe shooting range" or somesuch.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    I think either I wrote the comment backwards or you understood it backwards. I meant that prohibiting cities from banning the discharge of firearms within city limits is dangerous. I say that because many cities have densely-packed houses without safe directions to shoot and I know a lot of goobers with guns who don't give a crap about their backstop, but they do give a crap about whether or not The Fuzz will ticket them. I'd prefer the wording said something like "cities can ban discharge except when done in self-defense or when discharged at a safe shooting range" or somesuch.

aaaahhhh we got out wires crossed I took your words in a totally diferrent direction. (ie. you are playing baseball and me footbal ;)).
    I now see what you were trying to say.

4sarge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    FREEDONIA
    Today we had another Corrections Committee hearing. There were only 4 bills scheduled. They were all gun related, including the two I sponsored allowing folks to transport a handgun unloaded and secured in their car without a license.

The other one was the pre-emption bill. There was opposition, but we had good testimony, too. I introduced my bills and took questions. We had some of our friends from the Indiana Rifle and Pistol Association along with NRA lobbyist Ashley Varner testify and they did a terrific job and all 4 bills moved out

The other two bills were the one Sen. Nugent had to clean up the workplace bill from last year and the bill that Sen. Holdman had which will allow folks to buy long guns in Indiana regardless what state you live in.

I will be facing more heat when these bills come before the full Senate. I ask that all of you across the state call your senators and ask them to support these bills. SB 292, SB 506, SB 94, SB 411

Thanks,

Jim and Margie Tomes
    2nd Amendment Patriots
    STAY UNITED
    www.2ndamendmentpatriots.org

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Where can I find the list of IN Senators for NWI?
    I know who mine is but am looking for the other ones in this area.
    NWI INGO has a meet & greet this sunday and I want to give the guys & girls a little flyer with their POCs along with these bills so they can call on monday to start the ball rolling on our end.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Where can I find the list of IN Senators for NWI?
    I know who mine is but am looking for the other ones in this area.
    NWI INGO has a meet & greet this sunday and I want to give the guys & girls a little flyer with their POCs along with these bills so they can call on monday to start the ball rolling on our end.

You'd have to get a map of the districts, but once you do, a listing of the state senators is found here, by district.

Indiana General Assembly: FAQs

Blessings,
    Bill

Top Bottom