• ...and so much more!
  • 4sarge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    FREEDONIA
    State Senator Jim Tomes Needs OUR help
    Legislation SB 292* and SB 506* sponsored by Senator Tomes are up for consideration at the State House on Monday. He needs US to call our local State Senator MONDAY MORNING and let them know our position on these bills.

If you care about these initiatives this is your chance to lobby for the legislation.

* SB 0292 -- Preemption of local firearm regulation. - Prohibits, with certain exceptions, a political subdivision from regulating any matter pertaining to firearms, ammunition and firearm accessories.

* SB 0506 -- Handgun possession. - Allows a person to carry a handgun on or about the person's body without being licensed to carry a handgun.

For more information on Senator Jim Tomes and the bills he is sponsoring see his website "Click Here"

To Call State Senators Dial 1 (800) 382-9467 for the switchboard and ask to be connected to your state senator.
    You can stay on the line after leaving your message and ask to be connected to another Senator. Below is a list of current State Senators

1 Frank Mrvan -D Hammond
    2 Lonnie Randolph – D East Chicago
    3 Earline Rogers –D Gary
    4 Karen Tallian- D Portage
    5 Ed Charbonneau –R Valporaiso
    6 Sue Landske –R Cedar Lake
    7 Brandt Hershman- R Wheatfield
    8 Jim Arnold – D LaPorte
    9 Ryan Mishler- R Bremen
    10 John Broden – D South Bend
    11 Joe Zakas- R Granger
    12 Carlin Yoder – R Goshen
    13 Sue Glick- R LaGrange
    14 Dennis Kruse – R Auburn
    15 Thomas Wyss – R Fort Wayne
    16 David Long – R Fort Wayne
    17 Jim Banks R- Columbia City
    18 Randall Head – R Logansport
    19 Travis Holdman – R Hartford City
    20 Luke Kenley – R Noblesville
    21 James Buck – R Westfield
    22 Ronnie Alting – R Lafayette
    23 Phil Boots R- Crawfordsville
    24 Connie Lawson – R Danville
    25 Timothy Lanane – D Anderson
    26 Doug Eckerty R- Yorktown
    27 Allen Paul – R Richmond
    28 Beverly Gard – R Greenfield
    29 Mike Delph – R Carme
    30 Scott Schneider – R Indianapolis
    31 James Merritt, Jr. – R Indianapolis
    32 Patricia L. Miller- R Indianapolis
    33 Greg Taylor – D Indianapolis
    34 Jean Breaux – D Indianpolis
    35 R. Michael Young – R Indianpolis
    36 Brent Waltz – R Greenwood
    37 Richard Bray – R Martinsville
    38 Timothy Skinner - D Terre Haute
    39 John Waterman – R Shelburn
    40 Vi Simpson –D Bloominton
    listed by District, Name, Party and current city of residence.
    This "Call To Action" was a result of a request at the Legislative Webinar with Senator Jim Tomes
    Forward this message to a friend

Bobby

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 14, 2008
    Muncie/New Castle
    State Senator Jim Tomes Needs OUR help
    Legislation SB 292* and SB 506* sponsored by Senator Tomes are up for consideration at the State House on Monday. He needs US to call our local State Senator MONDAY MORNING and let them know our position on these bills.

If you care about these initiatives this is your chance to lobby for the legislation.

* SB 0292 -- Preemption of local firearm regulation. - Prohibits, with certain exceptions, a political subdivision from regulating any matter pertaining to firearms, ammunition and firearm accessories.

* SB 0506 -- Handgun possession. - Allows a person to carry a handgun on or about the person's body without being licensed to carry a handgun.

For more information on Senator Jim Tomes and the bills he is sponsoring see his website "Click Here"

To Call State Senators Dial 1 (800) 382-9467 for the switchboard and ask to be connected to your state senator.
    You can stay on the line after leaving your message and ask to be connected to another Senator. Below is a list of current State Senators

1 Frank Mrvan -D Hammond
    2 Lonnie Randolph – D East Chicago
    3 Earline Rogers –D Gary
    4 Karen Tallian- D Portage
    5 Ed Charbonneau –R Valporaiso
    6 Sue Landske –R Cedar Lake
    7 Brandt Hershman- R Wheatfield
    8 Jim Arnold – D LaPorte
    9 Ryan Mishler- R Bremen
    10 John Broden – D South Bend
    11 Joe Zakas- R Granger
    12 Carlin Yoder – R Goshen
    13 Sue Glick- R LaGrange
    14 Dennis Kruse – R Auburn
    15 Thomas Wyss – R Fort Wayne
    16 David Long – R Fort Wayne
    17 Jim Banks R- Columbia City
    18 Randall Head – R Logansport
    19 Travis Holdman – R Hartford City
    20 Luke Kenley – R Noblesville
    21 James Buck – R Westfield
    22 Ronnie Alting – R Lafayette
    23 Phil Boots R- Crawfordsville
    24 Connie Lawson – R Danville
    25 Timothy Lanane – D Anderson
    26 Doug Eckerty R- Yorktown
    27 Allen Paul – R Richmond
    28 Beverly Gard – R Greenfield
    29 Mike Delph – R Carme
    30 Scott Schneider – R Indianapolis
    31 James Merritt, Jr. – R Indianapolis
    32 Patricia L. Miller- R Indianapolis
    33 Greg Taylor – D Indianapolis
    34 Jean Breaux – D Indianpolis
    35 R. Michael Young – R Indianpolis
    36 Brent Waltz – R Greenwood
    37 Richard Bray – R Martinsville
    38 Timothy Skinner - D Terre Haute
    39 John Waterman – R Shelburn
    40 Vi Simpson –D Bloominton
    listed by District, Name, Party and current city of residence.
    This "Call To Action" was a result of a request at the Legislative Webinar with Senator Jim Tomes
    Forward this message to a friend

If these two bills are up for consideration tomorrow morning in the Indiana House, what would calling my state senator do? Do I call my House representative, my state senator, or BOTH? Sorry for the questions but I am new to personally contacting my representatives on specific bills. since buying my first gun in the fall in 2008, up till this year I usually just emailed my representatives.

About SB 506. Is it similar to the "constitutional carry" laws like in Arizona, Vermont, and Alaska to where I wouldn't need my LTCH to legally carry my gun? If so, then I promise you that I will call in my support first thing tomorrow.:rockwoot: Plus, tell me who else to call besides my representatives in support of SB 506. Thanks for all you and Bill or Rights do in keeping us informed of pro-2nd Amendment bills.

4sarge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    FREEDONIA
    Second reading on Tuesday Feb. 8th SB 292 and SB 506. Call your Indiana state senators to support these bills. Thanks. :yesway:

Wild Deuce

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 2, 2009
    Results? :dunno:
    I dont' see anything on the Indiana General Assembly: Home about the bills being voted on? :dunno:

Jediagh, they're on the docket for Feb 8th. Right here. I'm still trying to find the actual bills.

Finally found them ... SB0506 / SB0411 / SB0094

[STRIKE]
    I also saw SB 94 [Purchase of Rifles and Shotguns]... what are the details on this one?
    [/STRIKE]
    Why aren't we also supporting SB 0291 or SB 0505 as well??? *

*Answering my own question .... they aren't up for consideration tomorrow.

Last edited:

Wild Deuce

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 2, 2009
    From reading this. It doesn't seem that SB 0506 is a Constitutional Carry Bill (like Arizona, Alaska or Vermont). It seems to only decriminalize transporting a handgun to/from a range and shooting it at a range.

(I'm not a lawyer. I only play one on the internet.)

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Jediagh, they're on the docket for Feb 8th. Right here. I'm still trying to find the actual bills.

Finally found them ... SB0506 / SB0411 / SB0094

[strike]
    I also saw SB 94 [Purchase of Rifles and Shotguns]... what are the details on this one?
    [/strike]
    Why aren't we also supporting SB 0291 or SB 0505 as well??? *

*Answering my own question .... they aren't up for consideration tomorrow.

Here is the list of all firearm bills that are active in 2011 so far.
    NOTE that we are only focusing on 2 in this thread becuase those 2 are @ up for voting now as oppose to the others that are still making their way in committee or pending a vote.

--BAD BILLS--
    SB0131 – Possession of Firearm at Petroleum Refineries
    Allows an employer to prohibit an employee from possessing a firearm or ammunition on property that contains a petroleum refinery.
    SB0593 – Records and Judicial Technology
    (Moves LTCH database to clerk of circuit court & thus makes it a public record so anyone can request the information since it is a public record)
    Moves duties concerning the administration of an electronic system for receiving information related to individuals possessing firearms from the division of state court administration to the attorney general's office. Provides that the clerk of a circuit court (clerk) is the official custodian of all records and writings of the court. Provides that the clerk shall provide copies of any public record in its possession to a party who requests the record. Provides that if the clerk maintains a case management system and receives funds from the automated record keeping fee, the case management system must meet certain standards. Prohibits certain court case information from being shared with the division of state court administration (division). Provides that the division shall not deny a person access to any public records that the division maintains. Removes certain duties of the division. Changes the responsibility of developing and maintaining the protective order registry from the division to attorney general's office. Corrects conflicting language regarding protective orders. Creates the e- citation fund. Provides that certain money in the state user fee fund will be deposited in the e- citation fund. Requires each clerk to establish an automated record keeping fund. Requires the prosecuting attorneys council to prescribe the contents of electronic traffic tickets. Repeals the judicial technology and automation project fund.
    --GOOD BILLS—
    SB0094 – Purchase of Rifles & Shotguns
    (ie. ATF will no longer be able to use our IN law to say that IN residents can only buy long guns from IN, OH, KY, MI or IL. So IN residents can buy a long gun from ANY state)
    Repeals a provision that states: (1) a resident of Indiana may purchase a rifle or shotgun in Ohio, Kentucky, Michigan, or Illinois; and (2) a resident of Ohio, Kentucky, Michigan, or Illinois may purchase a rifle or shotgun in Indiana. (This provision was enacted in 1983 in response to the federal Gun Control Act, which allowed sales of rifles and shotguns to a nonresident of a contiguous state only if both states enacted laws allowing the sales. However, this contiguous state requirement of the federal law was amended in 1986 so that firearms dealers can sell to residents of any other state if

SB0147 – Handgun licenses & shooting ranges
    (OK but SB0506 is better and the one we should push for!)
    Provides that a person is not required to possess a license to: (1) carry an unloaded handgun between the person's dwelling or fixed place of business and a shooting range; or (2) possess a handgun at a shooting range.
    SB0154 – Firearms on off-road vehicles or snowmobiles
    (Off-road vehicles & snowmobiles would be just like other vehicles and an LTCH holder can carry as they please)
    Allows a person to carry a loaded and operational firearm while operating an off-road vehicle or snowmobile if: (1) the firearm is a handgun and the person has been issued an unlimited handgun license; (2) the firearm is a handgun and the person is not required to possess a license to carry a handgun; or (3) the person is operating the vehicle on property that the person owns, has a contractual interest in, legally possesses, or has permission from the owner to possess a firearm on.
    SB0291 – Indiana Firearms Freedom Act
    (Guns made in Indiana with Indiana only parts does and does not leave Indiana is NOT subject to Federal laws. AKA “Montana Firearm Freedom Law”)
    Provides that a firearm, a firearm accessory, or ammunition that: (1) is manufactured commercially or privately in Indiana from basic materials; (2) can be manufactured without the inclusion of any significant parts imported from another state; and (3) remains within the borders of Indiana; is not subject to federal law or federal regulation, including registration, under the authority of the United States Congress to regulate interstate commerce.
    SB0292 & HB1540 – Preemption of local firearm regulations
    (ie. Bye-Bye EC & Gary assault weapon bans!)
    Prohibits, with certain exceptions, a political subdivision from regulating any matter pertaining to firearms, ammunition, and firearm accessories. Allows a person to file an action against a political subdivision if the person is adversely affected by an ordinance, measure, enactment, rule, or policy of the political subdivision that violates the law.

SB0319 – Firearms on School Property
    (Possession of firearm @ schools drops of Class D felony to Class A misdemeanor. Allows LTCH holder to leave handgun in vehicles (out of sight) and park at school property)
    Makes unlawful possession of a firearm: (1) in or on school property; (2) in or on property that is being used by a school for a school function; or (3) on a school bus; a Class A misdemeanor instead of a Class D felony. Provides that the law concerning unlawful possession of a firearm in or on school property or in or on property that is being used by a school for a school function does not apply to a person who may legally possess a firearm, possesses a valid license to carry a handgun, is not a student enrolled in the school, and stores a firearm: (1) in a motor vehicle that is parked in or on school property or parked in or on property that is being used by the school for a school function; and (2) that is locked in the trunk of the motor vehicle, kept in the glove compartment of the locked motor vehicle, or stored out of plain sight in the locked motor vehicle.
    SB0411 & HB1355 – Disclosure of Firearm or Ammunition Information
    (ie. Don’t ask, Don’t tell about Firearms @ work)
    Provides that a civil action may be brought against a public or private employer that has: (1) required an applicant for employment or an employee to disclose information under certain circumstances about whether the applicant or employee owns, possesses, uses, or transports a firearm or ammunition; or (2) conditioned employment, or any rights, benefits, privileges, or opportunities offered by the employment, upon an agreement that the applicant for employment or the employee forego the otherwise lawful ownership, possession, storage, transportation, or use of a firearm or ammunition.
    SB0434 – Retail Handgun License
    Provides that after June 30, 2011: (1) a retail handgun dealer's license is valid for six years from the date the license is issued instead of two years; and (2) the fee to obtain the license is $60 instead of $20.
    SB0506 & HB1546 – Handgun Possession
    (ie. Allows the carrying of an UNLOADED & SECURED handgun in a vehicle WITHOUT an LTCH. So you will be OK driving to/from range without a LTCH)
    Allows a person to carry a handgun on or about the person's body without being licensed to carry a handgun if: (1) the person is in or on property, or in a vehicle, that is owned, leased, rented, or otherwise legally controlled by the person; (2) the person is lawfully present in or on private property, or in a vehicle, that is owned, leased, rented, or otherwise legally controlled by another person; (3) the person is carrying the handgun at a shooting range, while attending a firearms instructional course, or while engaged in a legal hunting activity; or (4) the handgun is unloaded and securely wrapped. (Current law provides that a person who does not possess a valid handgun license may not carry a handgun in any vehicle or on or about the person's body unless the person: (1) is in the person's dwelling or fixed place of business or on the person's property; or (2) is carrying the handgun unloaded and in a secure wrapper from the place where the handgun was purchased to the person's dwelling or fixed place of business, between a handgun repair shop and the person's dwelling or fixed place of business, or from one dwelling or fixed place of business to another.) Specifies that a person who has been convicted of domestic battery may not possess or carry a handgun unless the person's right to possess a firearm has been restored by a court.
    Indiana District Map
    http://www.in.gov/sos/elections/files/complete_senate.pdf

IN State Senators: Call 1-800-382-9467
    District 1 – Frank Mrvan Jr (D)
    District 2 – Lonnie Randolph (D)
    District 3 – Earline S. Rogers (D)
    District 4 – Karen Tallian (D)
    District 5 – Ed Charbonneau (R)
    District 6 – Sue Landske (R)
    District 7 – Brandt Hershman (R)
    District 8 – Jim Arnold (D)
    District 9 – Ryan Mishler (R)
    District 10 – John Broden (D)

Britton

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Knoxville
    SB0094 – Purchase of Rifles & Shotguns
    (ie. ATF will no longer be able to use our IN law to say that IN residents can only buy long guns from IN, OH, KY, MI or IL. So IN residents can buy a long gun from ANY state)
    Repeals a provision that states: (1) a resident of Indiana may purchase a rifle or shotgun in Ohio, Kentucky, Michigan, or Illinois; and (2) a resident of Ohio, Kentucky, Michigan, or Illinois may purchase a rifle or shotgun in Indiana. (This provision was enacted in 1983 in response to the federal Gun Control Act, which allowed sales of rifles and shotguns to a nonresident of a contiguous state only if both states enacted laws allowing the sales. However, this contiguous state requirement of the federal law was amended in 1986 so that firearms dealers can sell to residents of any other state if

This one will not be a problem, it should pass easily.

spec4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 19, 2010
    NWI
    I called a half hour ago, waited for less than a minute and was taken care of. SB 506 is in the second reading.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    SB 94 and SB 411 both passed the Senate today. Neither SB 292 nor SB 506 has yet been given a Second Reading. Both were called today and Sen. Tomes chose not to read them. No reason was asked or given. I am hopeful he will bring them to the Senate tomorrow.

Congrats, Britton, on the passage of 94. Now on to the House.

Blessings,
    Bill

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    SB 94 and SB 411 both passed the Senate today. Neither SB 292 nor SB 506 has yet been given a Second Reading. Both were called today and Sen. Tomes chose not to read them. No reason was asked or given. I am hopeful he will bring them to the Senate tomorrow.

Congrats, Britton, on the passage of 94. Now on to the House.

Blessings,
    Bill

Just a follow up:

SB 94 had 48 "yes" votes. Sen. Earline Rogers was the only "no" and Sen. Ron Alting was excused absent.

SB 411 had a few more. 38 "yes" votes, 10 "no", one not voting (Sen Yoder) and one excused absent (Sen Alting.)

The "no" votes were cast by Senators Breaux (D), Merritt (R), Simpson (D), Wyss (R), Broden (D), Randolph (D), Tallian (D), Lanane (D), Rogers (D), and Taylor (D).

http://www.in.gov/legislative/bills/2011/PDF/Srollcal/0080.PDF.pdf is the link for SB 94.

http://www.in.gov/legislative/bills/2011/PDF/Srollcal/0084.PDF.pdf is the link for SB 411.

Of note: There are 13 Democrats in the Senate. Of those, eight voted against this latter bill along with two Republicans and five voted to pass it.
    Those five Democrats and Sen. Merritt were the only ones who surprised me, as Sen. Merritt has traditionally voted in favor of gun rights.

Blessings,
    Bill

Top Bottom