How can I attend the State House/Senate hearings?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    BoR, did you mention somewhere that we can attend the committee meetings? I'd really love to see the committee action for SB292.

I sure did! Not only can you attend, you can, if you have something to say, be recognized and give testimony on a bill, as I did last week on another matter.

If you don't want to speak, many of the committee meetings are broadcast over the 'net as well, though they are not archived and sometimes are hard to hear. SB 292 will be in one of those rooms that is hard to hear (though I emailed the webmaster to let him/her know so hopefully that will be rectified by now.)

Go to the main page of the Legislature [noparse]http://in.gov/legislative[/noparse] and look on the right side. You'll see a box that lists "Senate" and "House" at the top, and the committee meetings for that day. (It starts on Senate, but if you click House, it will show the House committees) At the bottom of the box, depending on which list you're looking at, you'll see a link that reads "Full House Schedule". Click that and a PDF will pop up and show you the room number, time, and what bills are to be heard. This meeting is of the Public Policy committee, and will be in room 156-B at 0830 on Wednesday.

Back on the main page of the legislature, at the upper right, there's a link to "Watch Indiana General Assembly LIVE". Click that. It will take you to a page that lists "Watch video from ___________" When you click that, it will download a file to you called "live.asx", which should launch your "Windows Media Player" if you're running Windows. (I don't know what it launches, if anything, for other platforms, sorry.) Do this at about 5-10 minutes before the meeting is scheduled to start. You'll see a "Standby video" until they start up. Again, be aware that the sound in that room is for :poop:, so if you can't hear, don't be surprised.

When you want to watch the House or Senate in action, the link is closer to the top of that page, and the House will download a file to you called "live.php.asx" Otherwise, it's no different, though those sessions typically are archived and can be viewed later.

Were I not working that day, I would be at the committee meeting in person as well, as difficult as it would be to not slap the living excrement out of a couple of the committee members.

It can be very interesting to listen in; it can be even more so to be a part of one of those meetings of a committee, despite having to be unarmed while there--yes, there is a metal detector and yes, there's an ISP/Capitol Police officer there. The times I've given testimony, I've found very rewarding. It felt good to be a part of the process of making sure a law does or does not happen.

If there are any other questions I can answer for you about the process, please don't hesitate to ask.

Hope this helps!

Blessings,
    Bill

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom