• ...and so much more!
  • Jtgarner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Bloomington
    Hey guys, I sent Mr. Jim Banks an email awhile ago that basically read:

"I heard from someone on an Indiana Gun Owners forum that you may be looking to take on a bill that would allow law abiding citizens who already have a license to carry a handgun, and do so for self defense, to do so on a college campus without any penalty or consequences from the universities. Recently Indiana has seen some improvements to our gun laws, a bill to allow the same people who carry a handgun for self defense in their local grocery store, movie theatre, bank, and restaurant, to be able to also carry a handgun for self defense when they step onto a college campus (which is no more safe than any of the other places they are already legally allowed to carry), would be another step in the right direction for this great state. Lamartine once said, "History teaches everything including the future." History has shown this country that just because firearms are not "allowed" someplace, does not mean that they won't be there. If Indiana and other states do not learn from the past, we can expect to see more stories echoing Seung-Hui Cho's actions at Virginia Tech and Amanda Collins' misfortune at the University of Nevada.

I thank you for your time and consideration in this matter,

Respectfully yours,

JT. Garner"

Today I got a response that said, "Can you meet me at the statehouse on Oct 20 to work on this issue? You can bring anyone else interested too."

UPDATE: decided to post this here because people were not seeing it, but the meeting will be at 2:00pm in the senate chambers of the statehouse on Thursday October 20th.

Last edited:

G_Stines

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 2, 2010
    Central Indiana
    I will totally take this on. I lived off campus and Concealed every day on campus while I was in school. I am writing this onto my schedule right now. I am also requesting this day off work. I truly believe this should happen and I hope there are some others on this board who will come too. You can let him know that although you won't be able to make it, I would be more than willing to make this happen. I can send you my email in a PM if you would want to forward that to him, or forward me what he says as far as details, what time, ect.

Jtgarner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Bloomington
    You know, the more I think about it, the more I wonder if I should skip classes for this. It is very important to me, but my education is up there on my priorities too, looks like I need to see if anything important will be due that day.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I would support such a bill regarding public universities but not private ones. Private schools should still enjoy private property rights and should not be forced by law to allow guns if they don't want them, any more than I should be forced by law to allow them in my house. I would support a law similar to the parking lot law (for private universities), however, where students and visitors can leave their firearm in the car. I'll have to see if I can get the day off work.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    I am also a returned student with some political affiliations in the area....I'd be willing to go....I'd probably skip classes that day

Mr. Habib

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Somewhere else
    I work at IU and would be very interested in this. Since we are both in the Bloomington vicinity, maybe we could car pool. PM me if you're interested.

Westside

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Monitor World
    I will talk to my boss and make sure it is alright, But I think we could meet up at my work and then car pool over to save on parking. I work near old bush stadium.

SideArmed

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 22, 2011
    Awesome, that is good news. I unfortunately can't say that I would be able to make it. But know that you have my full support in the matter.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Private schools should still enjoy private property rights and should not be forced by law to allow guns if they don't want them, any more than I should be forced by law to allow them in my house.

So a private school could ban the First Amendment? No Jews allowed on the campus for example? Members of certain racial groups could be excluded?

It should apply to all schools in the state. No school should be above the law.

mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    I would support such a bill regarding public universities but not private ones. Private schools should still enjoy private property rights and should not be forced by law to allow guns if they don't want them, any more than I should be forced by law to allow them in my house. I would support a law similar to the parking lot law (for private universities), however, where students and visitors can leave their firearm in the car. I'll have to see if I can get the day off work.
    I basically agree with private property rights but there is something to be said for organizations that serve the public being required to follow certain standards (such as the sanitary code for plumbing and sanitation codes for food service.) Allowing students to be able to protect themselves may be just such a circumstance.

Top Bottom