marry someone with depression cause issues ?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    No legal issue if that person is not the one buying the gun, but I would think that there are a million of different ways to kill yourself, you dont need to have a gun for that.
    Of course you should keep your gun locked if you are affraid that you spouse may try to do something stupid but you should mainly keep an eye on her/him if you are affraid of that.
    Talking about the issue and letting that person know that she/he is loved is usually the best way to prevent that.Since you cant put a lock on every window located above the first floor, on every knife, sharp rock, cant cover all the electric plugs on, the planet, hide matches, drugs ... whatever you can use to kill someone.
    The issue is not the gun, but it's in that person mind and it's where you need to look at.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    How depression in a spouse/live-with affects your gun license is way down the list of things to worry about... I hope it is well controlled now, but I don't think it really improves with age. When your spouse is in the throes of depression, it is a very, very difficult row to hoe for both of you. Nobody is perfect, and it sounds noble to love someone despite their flaws/imperfections/etc, but believe me, in reality it is very tough. Think real hard about whether you want to tie yourself to this. Best wishes to you both.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Will having depression even affect getting a gun license for your self? I know a few people that have attempted and still got gun licenses

Yes it will, if you dont lie on your application anyway, since they dont check medical records.
    Not that you cant be depressed and not having it mentioned anywhere on your medical record anyway.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    The only thing that has an affect on a gun owner is if their spouse is a convicted felon. Then they wouldn't be allowed to have any access to firearms. Mental illness in a spouse is a non issue. Even if they were suicidal.

sonofagun

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 24, 2011
    Bedford, IN
    Mental health is an issue only if a person has been adjudicated mentally ill by a court of law.

Well, not quite, assuming you are talking about the applicant:

"Proper person"
    Sec. 7. "Proper person" means a person who:
    (6) does not have documented evidence which would give rise to a reasonable belief that the person has a propensity for violent or emotionally unstable conduct;

I believe this would raise the bar above the adjudication standard.

I also believe this could be a pretty wide window open for interpretation.

Arm America

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2009
    West of Greenwood
    Depression is an evil affliction that I would not wish on anyone.
    You have to keep a handle on it.

I married into a situation that forced me into the concerns of
    murder/suicide with the newly acquired extended family.

It has not happened, nor am I as concerned about it now.

Just something to keep in the back of one's mind.

the only Qualk

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    Valpo
    Thank you all. And my thinking was that it would not keep from owning so thanks for that also this was before I met my spouse so I know of it and how it happened from her but so far so good and I don't see it being an issue and hope it wont ever be :) . Thank you all for clearing it up as my spouse was the one worried for me :)

Top Bottom