Guns to Citizens Ratio - Too Many Slackers?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • manwithnoname

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2012
    http://news.yahoo.com/who-knew/regi...registered-gun-to-citizen-ratio-29789197.html

Countries with highest "registered gun to citizen ratio"?

Of course, most of the folks here already know the answers.

The source claims Americans on average own 3 firearms.

I must be carrying the load for some folks. Hell, I've got more than that in my desk drawers at the office.... or at least I did. That was before that tragic boating accident.

Last edited:

manwithnoname

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2012
    The "authorities" don't need registration... they just need a list of gun owners... I wonder where they could get a list of Indiana Gun Owners! LOL!!!

Last edited:
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 21, 2011
    The "authorities" don't need registration... they just need a list of gun owners... I wonder where they could get a list of Indiana Gun Owners! LOL!!!

I would guess roughly 98% of people that frequent INGO have lost weapons and ammo in tragic boating accident, so i wouldnt reccomend using this site for that stat :D

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    I'm perfectly fine with the idea that some of the true idiots I've seen in my life choose not to be armed. :)

I used to be way above average in number of firearms, until the boating accident.

(Heck, I have 3 just in 10/22 LTRs.)

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Understand that listening to the Media or Academia or Politicians talk about guns is like listening to 8th graders talk about the birds and the bees. They have no idea what they are talking about.

In high school I read Robert Conquest's book What To Do When the Russians Come. When I got to the part about there being "9 million guns in the USA", I realized that academics have no idea what they are talking about in guns and if they do not know anything about guns why should I think that they know anything about anything. 9 million guns!?!? There are more than 9 million guns in Indiana.

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    Understand that listening to the Media or Academia or Politicians talk about guns is like listening to 8th graders talk about the birds and the bees. They have no idea what they are talking about.

In high school I read Robert Conquest's book What To Do When the Russians Come. When I got to the part about there being "9 million guns in the USA", I realized that academics have no idea what they are talking about in guns and if they do not know anything about guns why should I think that they know anything about anything. 9 million guns!?!? There are more than 9 million guns in Indiana.

Now now, Robert Conquest is anything but a left-wing nutjob.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    cobber, yes, and I know that you read him the mid-80s too but I realize that he was less than educated when it came to guns and that guns were the Achilles' Heel of academia.

9 million guns, LOL.:laugh:

Fletch

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Oklahoma

Yeah, but weren't you in high school just after the Civil War? The number was probably accurate at the time. :):

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    In the '80's there was an estimate of 50% of homes had at least 1 gun. Since that time, with all the cheap guns and ammo available, that number swelled greatly. I estimate it's more like 70% now. I do believe there may be a response bias to surveys in that people do not like telling strangers that they have a gun around.

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    cobber, yes, and I know that you read him the mid-80s too but I realize that he was less than educated when it came to guns and that guns were the Achilles' Heel of academia.

9 million guns, LOL.:laugh:

Nah, went to see him talk at the U of C about the 1930s Soviet starvation of Ukraine. He was a very forceful speaker. The talk hit a little too close to the mark for Hyde Park, although he wasn't heckled or picketed.

While he may not have known guns, he was up on totalitarian governments.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    Who Knew

Countries with highest "registered gun to citizen ratio"?

Of course, most of the folks here already know the answers.

The source claims Americans on average own 3 firearms.

I must be carrying the load for some folks. Hell, I've got more than that in my desk drawers at the office.... or at least I did. That was before that tragic boating accident.

YAY!!! I don't care if the article is correct or not, I'm telling my wife we're not up to the "National Average" of 3 firearms per person!!!.

manwithnoname

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2012
    Kentucky is running over 50%!!!! I'm impressed.

Poor old Indiana is only at about 10%. That's even below Illinois!

Come on, folks. Let's get out there and BUY MORE GUNS.

Private sales rule!!!! (Just as outlined in the 2A. Big brother needs to keep his nose out of everybody's ass.):rockwoot:

opus1776

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    Don't read too much into KY number being so high. The number for KY is skewed high because IIRC KY state police does a NICS check on all CDW holders at least once a year (maybe more often)...

======================================
    "Nothing tastes as good as skinny feels" K. Moss
    You can NEVER be too rich or too thin.
    Life is not a journey, but a series of unplanned detours...
    Perfection: is not a goal---it's a demanded expectation.

Last edited:

.45 Dave

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Anderson
    As the lady in Boston said, "my dear, we need not buy hats because we ladies of Boston HAVE our hats."

I was wondering about that for a moment until I saw your post. Excellent observation! Illinois is like Russia after the fall of the Soviet Union, they are getting a taste of freedom! So it makes sense that Indiana residents are buying fewer guns because we've always had them, while Illinois is just enjoying trying to catch up. Still a long way to go there, though.

.45 Dave

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Anderson
    Somebody help me with my math here. According to the chart in post #13, does that equal an average of very roughly 1 gun for each state resident? Not including of course older guns already owned or that some are buying several guns. Just the the average I mean.

edit: Nevermind, I see what I did. Stupid public school education.:rolleyes:

Still, that would give at least 31 million guns in the US and very likely double that.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom