• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dead2rights

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2010
    Indiana
    Brothers and sisters I've seen the light, guns kill people and are bad, as of yesterday I sold all of mine and I urge you all do to the same! Those of you that know me personally didn't get halfway though that before you knew I was kidding. I've been away for awhile doing military stuff and things have slowed down enough to where I can post again. Man I missed this place. Anyway as the thread title says the woman I've been in a relationship with for over six years is basicly making me poo or get off the pot. She has a class C felony, I'm not sure but I thought if a person had a felony they couldn't even live in a house with guns. Is that true? I'd be all kinds of messed up if I had to choose between my woman or my guns!!:dunno:v INGO GO!! :patriot::ingo::patriot:

ditto

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 3, 2012
    Newburgh
    the woman I've been in a relationship with for over six years is basicly making me poo or get off the pot.

I am not familiar with such legalities, but I'm sure someone who is will be along shortly. My only advice would be MAKE A RUN FOR IT.

Ultimatums make me vaporize.

Welcome back to INGO :)

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    Talk to a lawyer to be sure, but as long as they are not in her possession I do not see how it could be a problem. You may have to keep them locked up in a safe that she cannot access

R3l0@d3r

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 29, 2012
    I believe that marriage means that all assets become marital assets and in that case, she would be owner or 'in possession'.

I'm not a lawyer and I didn't stay in a Holiday Inn....

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    I am not familiar with such legalities, but I'm sure someone who is will be along shortly. My only advice would be MAKE A RUN FOR IT.

Ultimatums make me vaporize.

Welcome back to INGO :)

Nothing wrong with saying make it official or I'm gone. It's the responsible and adult thing to do. Of course, how it's done is usually the problem. But there's no reason one party has to wait indefinitely for the other person to decide what he/she wants. Or worse, to remain in a relationship where the other party doesn't want the same thing, but doesn't have the decency to be honest about it (especially if he/she knows the other person wants more).

As to the felony thing, the obligatory comment about G. Gordon Liddy's wife owning a lot of firearms comes to mind. I'm pretty sure restrictions are limited to access/physical possession. But IANAL and this is worth less than you paid for it.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Jeffersonville
    I have heard of women that buy guns and carry them since their husbands have felonies and cannot, so I don't think that is the case... but since I am not a lawyer, and my knowledge in this area boils down to "what that one guy said" - I would reference the laws themselves to find the answer.

Maybe someone who better understands this topic will come along shortly and point out the specifics of the law for us.

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    I didn't see anything in the IC that makes it crystal clear, other than she certainly may not be "in possession" of the firearms. Easiest thing might be to simply establish a Trust prior to getting hitched.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Jeffersonville
    Your, and her, best bet would be to get her rights restored. There is a procedure for this, and you will need a (good) lawyer.

Quick overview of the federal law:
    http://www.justice.gov/usao/ut/psn/documents/guncard.pdf

If you and she can live by this (she can never touch guns OR ammunition. Ever), then go for it. If not, well, then, I dunno.

I think eldirector makes a great point - if it is possible to have her rights restored, then she can also join you and participate in the hobby you love.

ditto

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 3, 2012
    Newburgh
    Nothing wrong with saying make it official or I'm gone. It's the responsible and adult thing to do. Of course, how it's done is usually the problem. But there's no reason one party has to wait indefinitely for the other person to decide what he/she wants. Or worse, to remain in a relationship where the other party doesn't want the same thing, but doesn't have the decency to be honest about it (especially if he/she knows the other person wants more).

I was half kidding. It's not my thing, but it may be what he/they need. To each his/her own. I offer my personal opinion only, which is worth about as much as what you may scrape off the bottom of your shoe any given day. Six years is a pretty decent commitment. If everyones cards are out on the table, then sure, why not.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    I was half kidding. It's not my thing, but it may be what he/they need. To each his/her own. I offer my personal opinion only, which is worth about as much as what you may scrape off the bottom of your shoe any given day. Six years is a pretty decent commitment. If everyones cards are out on the table, then sure, why not.

No worries. I was just beating the obligatory "Bail now, because she'll never stop making demands from you" comments.

It's not about getting married. It's about 2 people who are at different points in the relationship. I think each person has a reasonable right to expect to be able to have an adult conversation with the other party if he/she wants to move to a different point in the relationship. It could be moving from casual dating to more serious exclusivity. Heck, it could be moving from serious exclusivity to more casual dating (though admittedly it doesn't happen that way very often). Six years is a history, not a commitment. If she wants more and asks for it, with the caveat that denial means a dissolution of the relationship so she can be free to seek someone who will commit, I don't see a problem with that.

NYFelon

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2011
    DPRNY
    It's her or the guns. That's not to say you have to get rid of them, but either she or the firearms will have to be stored off site. Which one is up to you. That's the short and not-sweet version.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    It's her or the guns. That's not to say you have to get rid of them, but either she or the firearms will have to be stored off site. Which one is up to you. That's the short and not-sweet version.
    Is that for every state?

To the OP, if you love her and want to spend the rest of your life with her, marry her. Talk to a lawyer about her conviction and what you can and cannot do.

Top Bottom