How the heck did a newspaper get this info??

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gino66

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2012
    SWIN
    Saw that today also! i would be furious too. This makes people potential targets for thugs looking specifically for firearms. Would the liberal jerks post the names of people that deal in diamonds and precious metals? I don't see it any differently, guns or diamonds. sad day for NY gunowners....look closely, its a detailed name/address
    Gotta remember that Cuomo is there, and Bloomberg in NYC...so people's rights are doomed as is. throw in a Shumer and its the lefty's wetdream.

AJMD429

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    If they want to do that, then all the names and addresses and personal family details of the "journalists" need to be published, as well as those of all the legislators who are in favor of this nonsense...

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    The Roanoke (VA) Times published something like this some years ago for "Sunshine week". They quickly removed it when the names, addresses, home phone numbers, and family home photos were made public as well. IIRC, the article was written by one Christian Trejbal, for those who wish to research it. I believe it was also done with the Cleveland (OH) Plain Dealer when they tried a similar tactic.

Not only does it put the names of gun owners out for possible robbery, it also tends to publish the names and locations of people in witness protection and people hiding out from abusive ex- or soon-to-be-ex-spouses.

Bad news all around.

Blessings,
    Bill

Kmcinnes

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2011
    Hendricks County
    Well, In a way it could be good because now the bad guys have a resource to double check before breaking in to a house, Oh crap...that home owner has a gun, but look the house next door is unarmed........hahaha easy target!

reedo

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    I am sure that the idiot that posted the names is a liberal. By doing this, he only made these law abiding citizens potential targets for thefts and burglary. If my name and information was released, I would be sure to post all the personal information of the author-to include name, address, phone number and of course the fact that his house is more than likely without weapons. See how he likes it.

Eric70

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 20, 2011
    Covington
    I clicked on the link, read the story and comments. From what I can tell, she and her family and her neighbors are having a miserable Christmas. :)

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    From another related link in that story...

“I would love to know if someone next to me had guns. It makes me safer to know so I can deal with that,” said Thompson, whose group counsels youths against gun violence. “I might not choose to live there.”

Pretty sure that your gun-owning neighbors' feelings wouldn't be hurt if you moved. Go live in Never-Never Land with the rest of the little Lost Boys. :rolleyes:

atvdave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 23, 2012
    SW Indiana
    This story just made Fox news this morning.. I just seen the end of it, so I'm not sure what all was said. All I heard was that the people are outraged..

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    For a while this was not uncommon and some Indiana papers were giving out information from the database. The information did not include names and addresses so the fuss was reduced.

A few years back the Bloomington Herald Times decided to have one of their interns do an article (hit piece) and include the fact that anyone could access the database by sending in $32 to the ISP and asking for it.

I spent a good amount of time with that poor college kid before he wrote the article explaining what a really bad idea it was and the hell he was opening up. I pointed out the cases of cops being attacked at home that occurred after the Ohio/PA/Virginia papers did the same.

He did not listen, nor did the paper. So when it hit, we organized and went to the IN congress and pushed the issue as a privacy and victim's rights issues. Senator Tomes along with a bunch of others from both sides of the isles worked hard and the selling of the database is now closed.

The law, IIRC, does not close the use of the old copies that the papers have and the HT is still listing it even though the database is out of date.

Top Bottom