Need a Indy area lawyer for restoration of gun rights.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • I Love Bourbon

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    I’m looking for a legal eagle in the central Indiana/Indy area. I have a friend (yes it’s really someone else not me) who needs some assistance getting a 27 year old felony DUI off of his record so he can legally purchase a firearm. This doesn’t make much sense to me as he has a lifetime carry permit issued by the State of Indiana and has purchased a couple of handguns in the last 5 years or so that didn’t result in any issues. He just purchased a mighty .380 pocket pistol and he was delayed on the NICS check, NICS didn’t respond after 7 days so the shop gave him the pistol (this was about 3 weeks ago). Fast forward to this morning when he got a phone call from the local FBI office, the agent told him that he couldn’t purchase or possess a firearm because of a felony on his record and he had to give up the weapon. The agent then told him that it was a bull**** charge (the agent’s words) but he had to follow up on it, he then told him that he needed to get the gun out of his house, sell it, or return it to the store. My friend asked if he could sell it to his sister and the agent told him that would be fine as long as it’s out of his house and unavailable to him.
    None of this makes any sense to me as he has a carry permit and has never had a problem before; he also told me that he didn’t know it was ever classified as a felony. He said that he was stopped by the airport police because he was driving his new corvette to slow… when he was stopped the officer found a 6 pack of beer and a woman of questionable virtue (I’m sure she would qualify as a rule 3 breaker) and arrested him for DUI, he pled guilty and that was it.

The FBI agent stated that any decent lawyer and a judge with a tiny bit of common sense would remove the felony from his record, he has been in no trouble since this and he quit drinking completely over 20 years ago.
    Personally I’m a bit surprised that the agent told him some of the things that he did, and I’m equally surprised that this popped up now. It just seems a bit odd that so shortly after the school shooting NICS finds a 27 year old felony charge that nobody knows about.

So does this make any sense to anybody and do you know a decent lawyer in our area?
    TIA

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    There are several different methods available to your friend--PCR, pardon, etc.--however, be advised that effective July 1, 2012 there was a change in Indiana law (HEA1033) as to sentence modifications which eliminated the 365 day rule which will assist your friend tremendously IME as one can come back in under most D felonies 3 years after the close of probation (I got one modified from 1989 last summer on July 2nd).

I wish him luck as agreed orders in non-rural counties, i.e. Marion, are sometimes problematic and will usually take a hearing.

Ricnzak

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    Noblesville
    If he has an Indiana LTCH it should be an easy fix if he hires a lawyer

Yeah but if the story is correct it really sucks that he has spend money for things to be right. It is sad that the feds and the state often butt heads and the people are the ones who suffer on countless issues.

Trooper

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Here is the beginnings of a list of gun attorneys. Might want to add those who do firearms trusts as well. There is a list of them over at the class III forum.

Kirk Freeman, used to be a prosecutor and posts here.
    200 Ferry Street, Suite A, PO Box 1132
    Lafayette, IN 47902-1132
    765- 429-7035
    KFreeman@nlci.com
    Home Page

Guy Relford
    One South Rangeline Road, Suite 110
    Carmel, IN 46032
    (317) 844-4297
    (317) 844-2036 (fax)
    guy@relfordlaw.com
    http://www.facebook.com/relfordl
    The Law Offices of Guy A. Relford

Brian Ciyou, wrote the book on Indiana gun law
    CIYOU & DIXON, P.C.
    The Chamber of Commerce Building
    320 North Meridian Street, Suite 600
    Indianapolis, Indiana 46204
    United States of America
    Telephone: (317) 972.8000
    Facsimile: (317) 955.7100
    E-mail: contactus@ciyoudixonlaw.com
    Web: www.ciyoudixonlaw.com

Jerome Ezell Attorney At Law
    209 S Main St
    Kouts, IN 46347
    (219) 477-5500

He used to be an ISP Major and was the attorney for all gun hearings. Lt Woods has replaced him. Both were out of the Lowell post.

Kouts is just south of Valpo and east of Hebron.

MAJ Ezell was THE attorney for the state police on firearms.

And an INGO member IN-Sheepdog

Not to be self promoting, (ie. for informational purposes only)
    I am currently affiliated with both the USCCA (US Concealed Carry Association), as well as the ACLDN, (Armed Citizens Legal Defense Network).

I have agreed if any member North of Lafayette, is involved in a SD Shooting, I will be 'on-site" within 6-10 hours to assist, and either get someone to work with me on the defense or at least to keep someone from saying something incriminating/stupid to their cause... Depending on the circumstances I would either assist you directly or find someone to work with you (and me) in your defense.
    Note: As for myself, I would personally be calling Guy as he is also my own "go to Guy". (pun intended)
    As the saying goes, "The lawyer who defends himself has a fool for a client!"

McMillan Law Offices, P.C.
    Doug McMillan, Managing Partner
    57 Franklin St. # 115
    Valparaiso IN 46383-5669

219-464-9191
    219-464-9049 Fax

Disclaimer: Do I practice in the Criminal Defense area as a general rule? NO... My primary areas that put food on the table are Mediation/Arbitration and Estate Planning, but I do study the legal aspects of self defense both criminal and civil.

If you are a member of either of the above organizations
    (Which I highly recommend by the way),
    PM me with your membership number,
    and I will get you my 24/7 contact information.

AIAAL, IANYL, YMMV
    (Although I Am A Lawyer, I Am Not YOUR Lawyer... Your Mileage May Vary...)

Top Bottom