DHS to "expand" role in federal gun control efforts; now will operate in schools

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    The Department of Homeland Security has announced that it will "expand and formalize coordination" regarding Federal gun control and domestic security. The agency will now be operating inside public schools and other so-called targets.

Exactly how DHS intends to "strengthen" public schools remains to be seen. But we have already seen the agency's modus operandi in airports.

DHS to 'Expand and Formalize Coordination' on Gun Control Efforts | The Weekly Standard
    In the aftermath of the tragic Newtown shooting, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS), together with the Department of Justice (DOJ), and the FBI have worked to identify measures that could be taken to reduce the risk of mass casualty shootings. In the coming days, DHS will expand and formalize coordination of ongoing efforts intended to prevent future mass casualty shootings, improve preparedness, and to strengthen security and resilience in schools and other potential targets. DHS will work with partners at all levels of government, to address five critical areas intended to reduce the risk of mass casualty shootings in the United States: Prevention, Protection, Response, Education, and Research/Evaluation. DHS will also work with law enforcement to refresh, expand and prioritize the implementation of nationwide public awareness efforts such as the “If You See Something, Say Something™” campaign. This is a critical issue that requires immediate attention and I look forward to supporting the President and this Administration as we move ahead.
    111130fortbenning_lg.jpg

jath08

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 26, 2012
    Greencastle, IN
    Ya know this is all I needed to hear. Im a father of a 13 year old daughter and 12 year old son and I am totally for security measures in schools to protect them. Metal detectors armed security guards, teachers, principals and the lot, even veterans volunteering to stand watch, as long they all are trained and pass background checks and mental evaluations. Lately my wife and I have been discussing the possibilities of home schooling them. If this happens and the DHS takes roots in schools it definately will happen.
    Just like Rambone said "
    But we have already seen the agency's modus operandi in airports."
    If "agents" do what they do to people in airports without due cause I can just imagine what would be going on in schools with teenage girls. :twocents:

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Once again I ask: is anybody surprised that the government would be using government resources to protect government resources?

(And, no, this does not mean I approve. It means I think you get what you ask for.)

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    How much is this going to cost when volunteer teachers could do it for free?
    "For the Good of the People" as usual.
    I am totally in favor of Teachers being armed, trained, etc.
    I am in favor of them being a last line of defense.
    I'd rather have armed combat proven veterans as first line defense.
    I would hope my reasoning is understood.

nawainwright

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2009
    New Hampshire
    They already molest children when they fly, now the dirty pervs can feel up every child, every day. If this goes down, we will soon have the pedophiles all in one place, the .gov........ oh, wait.

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    I have absolutely no problem with an armed law enforcement presence in and around schools. That said, as a former airline pilot:

DHS, and specifically TSA, is a monster of an agency that serves little purpose than to increase its budget on an annual basis.

Its the poster child for an emotional knee-jerk reaction to a traumatic event that does NOTHING to actually improve safety while broadening government bureaucracy and further restricting the rights of the people.

EOD Guy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 8, 2012
    Carroll County
    I know you guys love to stir the pot...

If you really believe DHS hires perverts to rub down little kids, while parents sit idle, you have a very different perception of reality.

nawainwright

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2009
    New Hampshire
    But seriously though, every law has unintended consequences, are you trying to tell me, that pedophiles aren't going to line up for jobs patting down kids at public schools while being given authority and money from the federal government? I don't think you understand human nature.

EOD Guy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 8, 2012
    Carroll County
    When you consider that the "pat downs" conducted by the TSA would result in arrests of ordinary citizens doing the same thing under any other circumstance, what would you call it?

I would call it a congressionally mandated "administrative" search that was reviewed by the Supreme Court.

I'm not saying I like it...I don't. But in today's world, it is a necessary evil or every whack job or religious zealot will try to make their statement at 36,000 ft.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Once again I ask: is anybody surprised that the government would be using government resources to protect government resources?

(And, no, this does not mean I approve. It means I think you get what you ask for.)

I cringed at first when LaPierre suggested armed guards in schools, not because I think having armed private contractors is a horrible idea, but the implementation of that suggestion by THIS administration would naturally be DHS, or worse, arming child protective services agents to do it.

Top Bottom