• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Fred78

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2013
    Everyone keeps talking about gun registry, well it's been around a long long time, I bought a mossberg 500 with the two barrels to deer hunt with because curtis and harvey black powder was terrible.To purchase the shotgun they recorded the serial numbers and I had to sign a form. I protested but if I wanted the gun I would have to sign the form. This happened in a coast to coast years ago

Tandem160

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    IMO, yes there is national gun registry list(s). It's called a form 4473. These forms are maintained forever.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    IMO, yes there is national gun registry list(s). It's called a form 4473. This forms are maintained forever.

Only a "registry" if you never sell the gun. As of right now, you can do a private sale w/o a 4473, and the new owner would not be "registered".

The 4473 isn't much different that a sales receipt, anyway. It is held by the dealer (not the government). Sure, the government can take the forms, but they could take receipts and bills of sale just as easily.

I still don't care much for the 4473 and NICS check, but it isn't quite the same as a real registry.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Yes, but it is incomplete and full of holes.

ATFE maintains a national registry in West Virginia which consists of mostly out of business FFLs, traces, forward traces, etc.

This was announced by Ron Noble of ATF on a newsmagazine program called "Day One" (not the recent sci-fi thing) in 1995.

But it does contain a list of many of the most paranoid, crazy, militant gun owners. The very people a “fascist” government would be most concerned about.

Dream on. The NRA list that you want to violate federal and state law to obtain contains your neighbor, the cop on the beat, your firefighters, your dentist, your insurance agent, your IT man at the office, your baker, your mechanic, your machinist, your engineer, your office manager and her husband, your doctor, and your lawyer. But we in the gun culture do not see class as defined by race, religion or SES, we only see the guns and a fellow gun nut. One of the great joys of the shooting range it that there is no envy, no hatred, no jealousy of what another may have, only a celebration of shooting for the sake of shooting. If another shooter has a nice gun, well, that may be incentive to work and save to buy one too. Don't take my gun, go buy your own.

These people want to work, build for the future, take their family out to eat on the weekends and their kids to baseball or wrestling practice, worry about new furniture and the remodeling, oh and the mini van needs new tires, practice their faiths, oh, and they want to exercise their Constitutional right to own and carry guns. You are surrounded by them.

The NRA is all of society and since one needs resources to own guns, ammo, range fees, asscessories, hunting trips and gun school tuition (no maker is giving away guns and ammo), the NRA is composed of the Productive Class, the people that work and have the resources to defend their rights.

The people that the would-be fascists in our government should fear is everyone. Let them be afraid.

williamsburg

Master
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Nov 12, 2011
    Oaklandon
    Gun owners are typically on some list.

-LTCH
    -Deer Hunt License
    -NICS
    -NRA member

Waterboard folks on those lists & one could learn alot.

This was my thoughts when talks of a registry fired up recently. I wondered if, for example, people in New York failed to register if they just crossed it with the list of people who applied for permits and traced things backwards from there.

Like the FBI NICS system or other state regulated Insta-Check is used. But what says they have to delete it entirely? There is nothing that says "all parties must delete permanently". Gun permits are a permanent file just as a drivers license. Easily determinable if valid or not. No matter what there is a trace of us somewhere. Whether it's a permit, background check, license ,etc. But like everything there are holes and things fall thru holes.

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Lawrence County
    "Universal Background Checks" = "National Gun Registry".

How else could it be enforced?

When all the AWB and High Cap Mag flap dies down and the "compromise" comes, don't let your representatives off the hook - NO UNIVERSAL BACKGROUND CHECKS. Period. Make sure Donnelly knows it!

JasonB

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 30, 2013
    Pittsboro, IN
    Only a "registry" if you never sell the gun. As of right now, you can do a private sale w/o a 4473, and the new owner would not be "registered".

The 4473 isn't much different that a sales receipt, anyway. It is held by the dealer (not the government). Sure, the government can take the forms, but they could take receipts and bills of sale just as easily.

I still don't care much for the 4473 and NICS check, but it isn't quite the same as a real registry.

"real registry" the same as you feel your Mobile Calls are not being randomly monitored by the Feds too??

This is why even Private Seller if I sell a firearm the Model/Serial Numbers and LTCH Lic No will be on a Signed Bill of Sale or No Deal...

May not be "real" at this point but if my Name is tied to a 4473/NICS check on file somewhere I'll promise I'll have a paper trail showing if I sell the gun that it can't come back and bite me in the rear if someone uses it later in a crime.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    It seems to me that the author of the article is trying to play upon certain paranoias to keep people from contributing to the NRA.

jfw46544

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Hot Springs Village, AR
    It seems to me that every time someone post a picture of their latest toy or the say "look what I just bought" there is now an electronic record of it. I am sure that our government would never data mine this. Perhaps everyone should think twice when someone posts " show me your ....."

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis

Additionally, when the firearm dealer we bought a firearm from goes out of business, all of their 4473's go to the government.
    You can BET they then go into a data base.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    Another rant calling anyone who belongs to the NRA paranoid - and still a far cry from a national gun registry. Somewhat reminiscent of the "anyone who didn't vote for Obama is a racist' rant. Sounds like something from a Jim Hightower :sheep: commentary (ultra-liberal talk show host on a Chicago radio station), smells like it too! :poop:

Top Bottom