• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AJMD429

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Dear Public Servant, (I'll be my normal polite self and insert their actual name here :D)

As you are no doubt aware by now, there will be a push for anti-gun legislation that is designed to obviously over-reach what the anti-gun fanatics are willing to settle for, and step-two will be the media-driven demand that defenders of the Second Amendment 'compromise' somehow. The 'compromise' demanded will most surely include a 'background check', and I write to remind you that a 'background check' is NOT ACCEPTABLE, period.

If you have done your homework (the information is widely available and can be verified as truthful), or even read the letters I and other Second Amendment defenders have sent you (mine included detailed references from medical, legal, criminologic, and public policy literature), then you are fully aware that:
    • Background Checks have never been shown to reduce violent crime in the U.S. or elsewhere.
    • Background Checks have often been misused in other nations to create a registration database.
    • Background Checks have also been misused in the U.S. to create a registration database.
    • Registration of firearms has never been shown to reduce violent crime.
    • Registration of firearms has often been misused in other nations to confiscate firearms.
    • Registration of firearms has even been misused in the U.S. to confiscate firearms.
    • Confiscation of firearms is nearly impossible without a registration database.
    • Confiscation of firearms is not stoppable once there is a registration database.
    • Confiscation of firearms has happened prior to nearly every Genocide in the past century.
    • Genocide currently leads to seven to ten times as many innocent lives lost as 'crime' does.
    By the way - violent crime is actually decreasing, despite the 'school shootings' and their publicity, so you don't need to do the “we have a crisis, so we have to do something” dance – we both know that the only 'crisis' we have is one of political integrity and leadership*.

Therefore, if you support “Background Checks” you are facilitating Genocide, which is FAR more dangerous, and far more likely, to cause innocent civilians to be murdered than all the 'school shooters' or other criminals combined. This is not abstract political theory or rhetoric, but clear international reality. Once guns are 'registered' there is no way to get that information erased if later by some miracle politicians realize they made a mistake; it is a line in the sand we dare not cross.

Far more citizens (i.e. 'voters') are aware of this than you may realize, if you rely on the mainstream 'news' media to gauge public opinion.

In an ideal world, the government could be trusted to obey the law, and not 'retain registration information' gathered during so-called 'Background Checks', but they have openly defied the clearly-worded prohibition (spelled forth in the Brady Law) against doing so. Why would anyone 'reasonable' trust government officials who refuse to obey the law, and who openly say they ultimately want to take away all firearms...?

Please don't be so naïve as to ask your constituents to put their lives and those of their families on the line by setting up some benign-sounding “Background Check” which we both know will NOT accomplish anything constructive anyway. Some of our ancestors made the same mistake a couple generations ago, and their ashes remain in Germany as testimony to what naïve optimism in the honesty of government programs to 'register military-style firearms' to 'reduce crime' actually causes to happen in the real world.

MilitaryStyleWeaponsandChildren_zpsf662de0e.jpg

I'm sure the law-abiding German citizens of the 1930's thought that anyone claiming their own government could ever commit genocide was some kind of anti-government wacko. Those who can't learn from history seem to keep repeating it, and others of us feel strongly that we can and should avoid paths we've seen to be dangerous. Germany had just elected an eloquent and charismatic, if inexperienced, leader, based on hopes of restoring a sagging economy, reducing crime, and bringing people together...something went terribly wrong, eh...?
    1. No “Bans”.
    2. No “Registration” - and that means
    3. No “Background Checks” - the only 'good' to come of such legislation is that it might make you look good to a few fools, but we both know it would NOT reduce crime, and we can clearly see from history that the risk is horrific.
    If you can't see the danger in Background Checks, or don't have the integrity to stand firm against them, then you don't deserve to hold public office.

*P.S. - Speaking of the crisis of political leadership, Why haven't you introduced a bill to require the State of Indiana to refuse to enforce bans and registration...?

Top Bottom