• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LordTio3

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 12, 2010
    McCordsville
    I have a degree in Psychology, and did many of my papers on the nature of guns and violent imagery in our society. I think they have something here. Hoplophobia mixed with an electorate that has more enthusiasm than information or sense; with a dash of mass hysteria when threatened with violence, and you have a recipe for a public policy that benefits the most powerful.

I will look forward to seeing their body of work progress in the future.

~LT

beararms1776

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2010
    INGO
    Firearms are not banned. Most, if not all anti firearm advocates, already walk among 100's of strangers on a daily basis. So banning firearms couldn't possibly make them feel any better.

rich8483

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 30, 2009
    Crown Point - Lake County
    Firearms are not banned. Most, if not all anti firearm advocates, already walk among 100's of strangers on a daily basis. So banning firearms couldn't possibly make them feel any better.

if you are trying to apply logic to what may really be a phobia, it doesnt work.

I have a phobia of a different nature. i know it makes no sense and trying to tell myself in a logical way that it doesnt make sense or that its "ok" and there is nothing to be afraid of does not work.

having an illogical fear is part of the territory of a phobia.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    if you are trying to apply logic to what may really be a phobia, it doesnt work.

I have a phobia of a different nature. i know it makes no sense and trying to tell myself in a logical way that it doesnt make sense or that its "ok" and there is nothing to be afraid of does not work.

having an illogical fear is part of the territory of a phobia.

I agree.
    You can explain how safe heights are. But that won't comfort someone that has a fear of heights.

A fear of open spaces. No rational.

But, some of the gun fear is because people hear about how bad guns are, day after day, on the news.

Stop rehashing the news stories day after day, such as Sandy Hook.
    I'm not saying don't announce the news, just don't rehash it for days/weeks 24 hours a day.

And start putting guns saving lives in the news. At present, only local news would print that.

rich8483

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 30, 2009
    Crown Point - Lake County
    I agree.
    You can explain how safe heights are. But that won't comfort someone that has a fear of heights.

A fear of open spaces. No rational.

But, some of the gun fear is because people hear about how bad guns are, day after day, on the news.

Stop rehashing the news stories day after day, such as Sandy Hook.
    I'm not saying don't announce the news, just don't rehash it for days/weeks 24 hours a day.

And start putting guns saving lives in the news. At present, only local news would print that.
    i agree with this as well. The hoplophobe idea might explain many but not all anti gun entusiasts.

i think the way news is portrayed has a lot to do with it. "Assault rifle strikes again" vs "Unstable person takes the life of many in cry for attention" which do the journalists choose?

Enkrypter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    New Palestine, IN
    I have a degree in Psychology, and did many of my papers on the nature of guns and violent imagery in our society. I think they have something here. Hoplophobia mixed with an electorate that has more enthusiasm than information or sense; with a dash of mass hysteria when threatened with violence, and you have a recipe for a public policy that benefits the most powerful.

~LT

@Oh_Crap! #Linchpin

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel

~LT

Though sincerely pro-gun, I think that the authors were a bit tongue-in-cheek.

Top Bottom