• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    So much wrong with this I don't even know where to begin..

Mike Weisser: A Gun Shop Owner's Perspective: Why Illinois Should Not Pass the Concealed Carry Law

This guy is so two faced it is laughable..

First, he bashes the NRA:
    But a court decision last year and some very aggressive lobbying by -- you guessed it -- the NRA, finally brought the Land of Lincoln into line.
    THEN, he uses them as part of his "credentials":
    As a NRA-certified instructor who has trained several thousand men and women in safe use and shooting of guns...
    :n00b:

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Seems to me he is advocating that the training requirements should be more extensive before one should be allowed to carry. Mandatory training :noway:

Last edited:

CathyInBlue

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    He's clearly… um— "mistaken" on the 50% alcohol sales provision. He claims it's with regard to the damage his party has to pay at the end of their visit. No, no, no. It has to do with the annual revenue of the establishment, which no one is required to release to the public, so how is any gun toting member of the public supposed to know?

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I'm one to talk because my home state - Massachusetts

Guys, it is called "Beaten Gun Owner Syndrome".

He is from Massachusetts now in Illinois. He has grown up and spent his adult life seeking permission to exercise rights that we do not even blink to achieve.

This attitude is common in Europe. It is no different in Illinois for some.

The bill should be vetoed but my reasoning is far different than his.:D

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    He's clearly… um— "mistaken" on the 50% alcohol sales provision. He claims it's with regard to the damage his party has to pay at the end of their visit. No, no, no. It has to do with the annual revenue of the establishment, which no one is required to release to the public, so how is any gun toting member of the public supposed to know?

His article is ridiculous and wrong on many levels. As far as the 50% rule goes, this is actually a fairly common provision in state CCW laws. Basically it means that you have to stay out of bars and taverns, because they are clearly going to make most of their money from drinks, but are Ok to go into a restaurant like a Chili's or something similar that serves food and drinks. Also, in the Illinois law, a prohibited bar is required to post a sign. Finally, you are breaking the law if you KNOWINGLY carry into one of these establishments. A place that's not clearly a drink - centric location doesn't put you in violation of the law.

Classic

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Aug 28, 2011
    Madison County
    Seems to me he is advocating that the training requirements should be more extensive before one should be allowed to carry. Mandatory training :noway:

....and he has the solution - he can provide more and better training. A bit self-serving IMO.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    What is the purpose of the law, grasshopper?

1. To seek economic rents.

2. To build fences and protect rice bowls.

Once you snatch the .45acp from my hand, you may leave the temple.:laugh:

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I think Mike Weisser, the Gun Guy at Evolve, and his type are just as dangerous to gun owners as Bloomberg and his type...maybe more so.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Guys, it is called "Beaten Gun Owner Syndrome".

He is from Massachusetts now in Illinois. He has grown up and spent his adult life seeking permission to exercise rights that we do not even blink to achieve.

This attitude is common in Europe. It is no different in Illinois for some.

The bill should be vetoed but my reasoning is far different than his.:D

You may have a point here.

Uncle Jrod

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2013
    New Haven
    I would actually be all for mandatory training. Of course, I can't give the liberals an inch because they will try to stretch it a mile but I think it's nuts to let anyone get a LTCH with zero training or experience at all with a gun. Have you ever seen someone who has never shot a gun before use one?? It can be quite a thing to witness. I used to watch people bounce rounds off the flight deck of the ship while we were doing qualifications at sea. When you are shooting M14s at 25 yards and you see sparks coming off the deck and holes in the knife edge it's kinda scary. A .308 will punch through but a 9mm or 00 buck will come back at you and I have seen it happen.

So yeah, just anyone carrying a weapon with no training in regards to marksmanship, safety, or deadly force, IMHO, is a terrible idea and an accident waiting to happen.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    I think it is nuts that an LTCH is even required and you want to add more infringements on the peoples rights

I would actually be all for mandatory training. Of course, I can't give the liberals an inch because they will try to stretch it a mile but I think it's nuts to let anyone get a LTCH with zero training or experience at all with a gun. Have you ever seen someone who has never shot a gun before use one?? It can be quite a thing to witness. I used to watch people bounce rounds off the flight deck of the ship while we were doing qualifications at sea. When you are shooting M14s at 25 yards and you see sparks coming off the deck and holes in the knife edge it's kinda scary. A .308 will punch through but a 9mm or 00 buck will come back at you and I have seen it happen.

So yeah, just anyone carrying a weapon with no training in regards to marksmanship, safety, or deadly force, IMHO, is a terrible idea and an accident waiting to happen.

Shay

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Indy
    I would actually be all for mandatory training. Of course, I can't give the liberals an inch because they will try to stretch it a mile but I think it's nuts to let anyone get a LTCH with zero training or experience at all with a gun. Have you ever seen someone who has never shot a gun before use one??

Outside of the Military, how much training have you had?

Uncle Jrod

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2013
    New Haven
    Outside of the Military, how much training have you had?
    See that avatar that says Gunners Mate? OK, now google NEC 0812(Small Arms Marksmanship Instructor/Range Master) I was the one teaching others to shoot, only a few thousand, I'll admit. But no, I haven't had any additional training. I certainly am not claiming I know it all, but I'm confident I know more about it than most.
    I'm just saying, from my standpoint, that someone who has no idea how to safely, effectively, or lawfully use a gun probably shouldn't be carrying one around until they have had at least SOME training. You might be unaware, but there are some reckless, foolish people out there and some of them are carrying.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    See that avatar that says Gunners Mate? OK, now google NEC 0812(Small Arms Marksmanship Instructor/Range Master) I was the one teaching others to shoot, only a few thousand, I'll admit. But no, I haven't had any additional training. I certainly am not claiming I know it all, but I'm confident I know more about it than most.
    I'm just saying, from my standpoint, that someone who has no idea how to safely, effectively, or lawfully use a gun probably shouldn't be carrying one around until they have had at least SOME training. You might be unaware, but there are some reckless, foolish people out there and some of them are carrying.
    As is their right,. I am more worried about the idiots driving like idiots than I am some guy/gal with little to no gun training.

Shay

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Indy

So, training is important, but you haven't put your own time or money into getting any. You might want to take a class or two before you advocate that others be mandated by law to do the same.

Uncle Jrod

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2013
    New Haven
    I think it is nuts that an LTCH is even required and you want to add more infringements on the peoples rights
    Would you want people to get a drivers license without ever learning to drive? Do you think people can operate a crane, semi truck, bull dozer, or other heavy equipment with no training? Yet you think it is a good idea for someone who has never shot a gun, maybe held one once before, to get a LTCH and carry it in public?
    But maybe I'm wrong. Crazy ol' Uncle Jrod talking about safety and responsibility like that matters. I'm so silly! :nuts:

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    I don't think they should have passed this bill and hope the governor doesn't sign it. That way they are a Constitutional carry state!! :rockwoot:

NO THEY WOULD NOT BE!!!

At best they would be a FOID card state. Need a FOID card to carry. No reciprocity because FOID cards are ONLY available to IL residents.

But you, like so many others, seem to forget that Illinois has NO PREEMPTION law, so it allows HOME RULE of guns (within limits).

The state would default into CHAOS. Each jurisdiction (village, county, city, etc) would be allowed to pass its own carry rules and restrictions.

BE CAREFUL WHAT YOU WISH FOR

Uncle Jrod

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2013
    New Haven
    So, training is important, but you haven't put your own time or money into getting any. You might want to take a class or two before you advocate that others be mandated by law to do the same.
    The class was 3 weeks long and it was to train the men and women in our military to safely and effectively use a firearm. You know, the people who fight for our freedom in battlefields using guns every day. And they learned how to use said gun from people like me. Not to mention all the additional training I have had. CQB, armed sentry, run n gun courses, etc...
    So I have spent plenty of time training. A mere 6 years of my life. Never spent my own money though, just your tax dollars. So understand if I think a little training is a good thing. I don't want some sheep pulling their piece out in public over something trivial. But it looks like there are a lot of cowboys here that think training is apparently for sissies.

Top Bottom