• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Not sure this thread goes here. I searched did not see this posted before.

The city of Columbus IN is considering a ban on BB guns, other toy rifles. In the video they stated it would be for children and teens so they could not show such in public. The reasoning behind it is they don't want law enforcement to mistake one of the toy guns for a real one.

I guess the question is what rights do the children have? Shouldn't this be governed by the parents?

Columbus considers ban on BB guns, other toy rifles - 13 WTHR Indianapolis

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    This was discussed several weeks ago, don't agree with the reasoning on it. . . .if some sperm bank rejects wants to point a gun of any type at another person they should be prepared for the consequences.

Guns aren't toys, I'm thinking that even toy guns that fire projectiles have the capability of causing some harm, relatively speaking of course and kids should be taught so.

Look at paintball for instance, there is protective gear that's part of the game, choose to wear it or not but you will pay.

Last edited:

ratfortman

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 21, 2009
    our illustrious city council hard at work on the pressing issues of the day. they banned smoking in private establishments not long ago. Makes me so proud. NOT

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    So when is the next city council meeting? This is something that local INGOers can have a direct hand in blocking. Talk to the legislators. Show up at the meetings. Speak out about unwarranted restrictions, etc. Participate in the process!

87iroc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    I heard about it...the thing I gathered from what I heard is kids are removing the orange tips from toy rifles so they look more real and then running around the city playing with them. I had not heard 'all toy guns'. Just read the article. Its not a ban on BB guns...just putting laws on them like 'real' guns. Can't discharge them...but can own them.

When I was a kid good f-n luck finding a cap gun that looked real. Now a pair of pliers and you have one immediately. Airsoft has become very popular.

Columbus is run about as conservative as it gets these days. Yes, maybe there is a better way to handle this...yes maybe the parents should be involved more...but they're not.

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    Every child with a 'gun' is not out to kill everyone in sight. Perhaps a defcon level 5 is in order instead.

ratfortman

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 21, 2009
    I know Mayor Brown. She is a good conservative with a bright mind. She has made a lot of enemies, not the least of which come from her own party.
    The city council, on the other hand, seems to be unable to grasp the concept of common sense representative governance. They have ignored the will of its constituents more than once; this issue will likely follow that pattern.

JasonB

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 30, 2013
    Pittsboro, IN
    Hate that I'd ever agree with something like this... BUT!!!

Since Parents that have no clue about Guns have no clue how to teach their mini-Idiots any better something has to be done.

Both my 8 and 10 year old sons in at least 2 different instances have been riding their bikes in our neighborhood when someone else's mini-idiot (which had been handed a 1000ft/sec Airsoft Rifle) felt it was OK to shoot at anyone riding by...

It is a wonder I wasn't drug away in cuffs the last time I had to confront the affected parents that felt it was OK... The conversation ended to the effect of if you couldn't control your kids, the next time around don't be surprised if mine take appropriate actions to defend themselves with something a lot more deadly than an Airsoft rifle.

Not to mention the numerous Car Dings, Car and House Windows, and other Property these unsupervised Mini-Idiots which Parents that are just as uneducated and stupid have caused.

So overreaction and city ordinance is not too far flung... To me if Parents are Stupid enough to turn their uneducated Kids loose with these "Weapons" without supervision both the Parents and Kids should face the Legal Fallout when Stupid Actions result.

But then again seems this is just another in long chain of laws/rules for the rest of society that is forced to be "defacto" Parents in place of the ones that don't have the mental capacity for the job.

Just my 2 Cents... :twocents:
    :ingo::patriot::ingo:

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    When I was a kid we wandered around with our BB guns on a semi regular basis; mainly passing through our suburban neighborhood to the adjacent farmer's woods/property.

No one called the cops. No one got shot. No one had an eye put out.

The only ones threatened were the various varmints in the area.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN

Since Parents that have no clue about Guns have no clue how to teach their mini-Idiots any better something has to be done.

Both my 8 and 10 year old sons in at least 2 different instances have been riding their bikes in our neighborhood when someone else's mini-idiot (which had been handed a 1000ft/sec Airsoft Rifle) felt it was OK to shoot at anyone riding by...

It is a wonder I wasn't drug away in cuffs the last time I had to confront the affected parents that felt it was OK... The conversation ended to the effect of if you couldn't control your kids, the next time around don't be surprised if mine take appropriate actions to defend themselves with something a lot more deadly than an Airsoft rifle.

Not to mention the numerous Car Dings, Car and House Windows, and other Property these unsupervised Mini-Idiots which Parents that are just as uneducated and stupid have caused.

So overreaction and city ordinance is not too far flung... To me if Parents are Stupid enough to turn their uneducated Kids loose with these "Weapons" without supervision both the Parents and Kids should face the Legal Fallout when Stupid Actions result.

But then again seems this is just another in long chain of laws/rules for the rest of society that is forced to be "defacto" Parents in place of the ones that don't have the mental capacity for the job.

There are already laws in place for this. No need for more.

Assault, Criminal mischief, Criminal recklessness, Contributing to the delinquency of a minor, etc... If the local prosecutor won't look into it, then take them to civil court.

You don't need to outlaw the possession of a toy gun. It is already illegal to use ANYTHING to damage property or hurt someone.

What's next? Slingshots?

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed

I'm confused. Do you object to kids having BB guns or shooting them at other's people/property? If you object to them having BB guns, then a ban makes sense. If you object to them shooting at people/property, then police reports and/or criminal/civil charges would seem like the right route for that behavior.

It seems to be precisely the same logic that would rather ban guns from adults than deal with criminal behavior.

buckstopshere

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Jan 18, 2010
    Greenwood

I understand your points and agree with your last paragraph.

More laws from the .gov is, IMO, never the answer. For every kid that acts a fool with a bb or airsoft, there is at least 1 (probably several more than 1) kid that is responsible with theirs. Why punish them because of the acts of a few.

It would be better to have them punished and if the parents won't do it, then get local LE involved. The kid can be arrested and given community service or his parents can pay a fine.

I could've missed something but doesn't all bb's and airsofts have to have an orange tip? Isn't that how LEOs can determine whether or not its real?

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    I'm confused. Do you object to kids having BB guns or shooting them at other's people/property? If you object to them having BB guns, then a ban makes sense. If you object to them shooting at people/property, then police reports and/or criminal/civil charges would seem like the right route for that behavior.

It seems to be precisely the same logic that would rather ban guns from adults than deal with criminal behavior.

Exactly, it's just airsoft guns so we can ban those.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    ...What's next? Slingshots?

Oh, the memories. We had lots of fun with those too. Never hurt anyone. Never damaged anything.

As with most "problems" in our modern society, it's a behavior problem, NOT the fault of an inanimate object.

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Oh, the memories. We had lots of fun with those too. Never hurt anyone. Never damaged anything.

As with most "problems" in our modern society, it's a behavior problem, NOT the fault of an inanimate object.

^^^^^^^^
    As with real guns this it the answer.

When I was a kid many years ago. Most of us had bb guns. And I did some damage, I hit our neighbors window. Guess what, my Dad paid to replace the window. And I worked my ass off to pay Dad back for the window. The neighbor was not upset because as soon as it happened I knocked on the door and fessed up. He had not even noticed.

That is not the kind of conduct you expect from kids today. If it were then this whole subject would have never come up. The answer is teach your children to be responsible citizens. And if you can't do that, then control them.

us_agent

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2010
    Has all common sense been lost? I think we all need to donate some fantastic toy runs to needy children for Christmas in Columbus. We had a blast playing with toy guns when we were little, and amazingly enough nobody was injured.

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus
    Hmm... A gun pointed at me with no orange tip or any other way to identify it as a toy would definitely spark my interest.

I had BB guns as a kid, I learned the 4 rules before I could touch it.

It's a parent problem, not a BB gun problem.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Dhlawson
    Top Bottom