VICE - Chiraq (guns and violence in Chicago)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Anyone else enjoy the VICE documentary series on HBO? I was surprised to see Bill Mahr's name attached to it as Executive Producer. The segments are interesting and I've found the pieces on gun-related topics to be surprisingly balanced. I would recommend it.

Anyway, in one segment they talked about violence and guns in Chicago. The one part that really stood out to me is when the interviewer is riding around with some real Chicago gang members and they poke fun at the "assault rifle bans", talking about how they don't even use assault rifles.

I continue to find it interesting that guns are more of a symbol of power to gangs, and any semblance of safety or proper handling is non-existent. If I'm gonna get shot at I'd prefer it to be done by a guy who has no freakin' clue what he's doing, using a $150 .380.

****LANGUAGE****

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7q3tokn4ew

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Something Flager said was right. Those neighborhoods are deprived. They're deprived of their Constitutional rights. If every private residence (without a felon in residence) had rifles, there would be a helluva lot less shootings.

This is one area I do not think that this logic holds true. The gang-bangers would not stop their drive buy shootings and gang warfare because there were more guns around. They have no respect for either their lives or those of anyone else.

It would help stop some of the robberies, rapes, assaults, etc, but not the stuff this video talked about.

Popeye81

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    People can laugh and say "It will never happen here" all they want but the sad reality is IT'S ALREADY HAPPENING.What's going on in Chicago RIGHT NOW can be DIRECTLY TRACED back to the 1960's when the democrats started buying the black vote with OTHER PEOPLES MONEY.They ushered in subsidized housing,food stamps and a whole lot of other policies that essentially promoted FATHERLESS HOMES.Now you have several generations that have been raised almost entirely by women without any real male influence.Children need dads and homes need fathers. EVERYTIME one of those kids losses their life to senseless acts of violence you never see their FATHERS on the tv saying "My Baby Didn't do nothing!". Why is that??? Because their dads just aren't around. Their fathers are either dead themselves or locked up for whatever reason because chances are they themselves didn't have a father around. The violence in Chicago and other major American cities is all due to a breakdown IN THE NUCLEAR FAMILY.

Butch627

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    NWI
    Something Flager said was right. Those neighborhoods are deprived. They're deprived of their Constitutional rights. If every private residence (without a felon in residence) had rifles, there would be a helluva lot less shootings.

These gangbangers by in large are out there shooting other rival gangbangers over money. drugs, turf, pride, etc. They aren't robbing the houses of innocents. Generally speaking you are relatively safe in their turf as long as you aren't interfering with their business and as long as you don't take a stray bullet. There aren't all that many innocents in those hoods, most have ties or an allegiance to a gang.

I believe one of the reasons Chicago is so against gun ownership is that a huge part of the population will never be legally able to own guns even if they are made easier to own due to their pryor criminal records.

CathyInBlue

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    It would help stop some of the robberies, rapes, assaults, etc, but not the stuff this video talked about.

These gangbangers by in large are out there shooting other rival gangbangers over money. drugs, turf, pride, etc. They aren't robbing the houses of innocents. Generally speaking you are relatively safe in their turf as long as you aren't interfering with their business and as long as you don't take a stray bullet.
    If more of these gangbangers were being "permanently retired" in ways no stint in Joliet can do, the level of gangbanging in the Chicago projects would drop dramaticly. The reason violent crime is down even as gun permeation of society continues its meteoric increase is because those who are committing violent street crime do get sent away to the big house and away from polite society.

If there are neighborhoods where some, not even most, of the houses have legally owned firearms and residents who know how to use them. If some, not even most, of the people walking about in polite society are legally armed and capable of shooting back with any level of accuracy, then these gang shoo— no, they can't even be called shootings. These gang spray and prays will become increasingly anachronistic. Why? Two reasons.

A) Every study done of incarcerated violent criminals bears it out, when they fear the possibility of an armed victim, their rates of victimization plummet. Take the case of the gun control poster girl for Obama. She was not involved in gang activity. She just lived in the neighborhood where the prevalent gang pissed off a rival gang. That rival gang "got their props" by shooting up innocents from their rivals' neighborhood. They did not seek out the members of the rival gang, because, in part, they knew those other gangbangers would be "mad strapped, yo". If those innocents were "strapped" as well, they would likely not have been so easily targetted.

B) There is no more sure method of dissuading a criminal from further criminal activity than an in situ death sentence. Just a small minority of gangbangers getting offed in their pursuits of their mutilated inner city notions of "respect" by an even smaller minority of legal inner city gun owners, and suddenly the rap sheets of those the police has to investigate and arrest will start getting shorter, if for no other reason than those who pursue their criminal thug lifestyle long enough to get a long rap sheet will start to run headlong into the laws of probability. In this case, the probability of spraying gunfire at a law abiding good citizen who actually knows what a center of mass is.

Top Bottom