• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fordmanchris

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 19, 2008
    Westfield
    So I was just told by the maintenance guy at my apartment complex that he was asked to relay a message to me. He said the courtesy officer which is also a westfield police officer asked him to tell me that if I am going to conceal carry then I need to do it right or i dont need to carry and that it needs to stay concealed. Apparently when I was getting stuff out of my car someone had saw my gun at some point.

Is there any specific code that prevents me from open carrying if I wanted to :D

Jarhead77

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 23, 2012
    Noblesville
    If you are licensed, you are fine. Assuming there are no lease issues. Indiana is silent on OC/CC, if you are licensed you can carry either way.

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    I don't think ordinances can override state law, even if one existed, which I seriously doubt it does. I would OC just to prove a point. If they asked I'd reply that they are the ones who told me I wasn't CC'ing properly, so I opted to OC, which is a lot easier to do "correctly".

Mr. Habib

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Somewhere else
    If the officer was acting in his or her official capacity, then it sounds is though they have exposed themselves, their department, and the city to civil liability under the State's preemption law. This could prove to be financially rewarding for you, if you choose to pursue it.

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    OP before you go stiring the pot do as other suggested and check the Lease. Maybe the officer was trying to give you a friendly warning to avoid problems with the lease.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    He just doesn't want to take any more phone calls where the person on the other end asks, "Well, what are you going to do about it?"

rugertoter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2011
    N.E. Corner
    As said above, unless your lease says you are not allowed to have firearms, then your permit allows you to carry either way. The worst that could happen is that your lease agreement would screw you up with your apartment.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    He/she may be getting some pressure to say something right or wrong. It is very disturbing that those who put on the badge or the robes will use the law to push an agenda. Not all of course but enough to make it un-comfortable.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    He said the courtesy officer which is also a westfield police officer asked him to tell me that if I am going to conceal carry then I need to do it right or i dont need to carry and that it needs to stay concealed.

You could make him aware that neither Indiana Code or your lease require concealed carry, and that perhaps he would be much happier in Florida. :)

hooky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    Central Indiana
    If the guy didn't have the stones to tell you directly, i wouldn't worry about it. just ignore it. I mean what officer would send the handyman to tell you to keep it concealed or don't carry?

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    If the guy didn't have the stones to tell you directly, i wouldn't worry about it. just ignore it. I mean what officer would send the handyman to tell you to keep it concealed or don't carry?

Maybe the handyman is just making up the story because he doesn't like guns and thinks that if he mentions "security" and "police" that the resident will be intimidated by it and just go along.

Top Bottom