Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

User Info Menu

Fishers Muni Code 130.01

Well this is astounding! Being technically not within the Town/City of Fishers I have not paid particular attention to the Fishers Muni Code vis a vis firearms, but I am somewhat surprised to see that apparently, back in December of last year, they prohibitions against the discharge of firearms within the Town/City Limits was explicitly nullified.

I can't copy and paste the Code directly, but it states:

130.01 Discharge of Dangerous Projectiles

No person shall discharge within the limits of the town any dangerous projectile. Dangerous projectiles prohibited by this section shall include, but not be limited to, projectiles discharged by air; by gas; by powder; or projectiles propelled by other mechanical means. This section shall apply to all of the aforementioned except firearms. Firearms shall be exempt from this section.

(Ord. 4, passed 12-22-64; Am. Ord. 121613B, passed 12-16-13) Penalty, see 130.99

I wonder how many folks are aware of this?
    Don't be an asshat.

Pretty much always looking to buy a Colt Combat or Lt.Weight Commander in 38 Super or 9mm

K_W

User Info Menu

Added due to preemtion? ...or maybe to allow police action?

User Info Menu

So that would make a pellet rifle firing illegal in city limits, but not an actual rifle?

Where do nail guns fall into this, since it does not define dangerous projectiles by any other means except the method by which it is fired?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Light View Post
    So that would make a pellet rifle firing illegal in city limits, but not an actual rifle?

Where do nail guns fall into this, since it does not define dangerous projectiles by any other means except the method by which it is fired?
    Gah! When I posted I meant to explicitly point out that juicy bit of irony, but I forgot
    Thanks for adding that. Yes, one would think air or blank powered nail guns would be out. I'm not going to point this out to the Town/City, but any of you that live within the limits and wish to either safely take target practice or dispose of a bothersome critter (again, safely), may want to tuck a copy of this into your wallet in case a neighbor decides that you require a visit from the authorities...
    Don't be an asshat.

Pretty much always looking to buy a Colt Combat or Lt.Weight Commander in 38 Super or 9mm

K_W

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Light View Post

Nailguns do not "project" nails, when properly used they drive nails into materials. If one were to improperly fire a nail gun into the air, then it would meet the "dangerous projectile" definition.

Plinker

User Info Menu

SO does a Hand pulled slingshot fall under "Mechanical Means?"

Seems to be the only Projectile type that I am legally allowed to use, but not sure if the rubber band falls under mechanical.
    By the definition of the law. Pitching machines are outlawed.

I asked at cabela's and I got one idiot who wouldn't even allow me to finish my sentence and yelled at me claiming he will not answer law questions, when he sells the thing in his store.
    Another employee said that that a slingshot does not fall under mechanical.

Thoughts?

User Info Menu

Depends.
    Yes I am for gun control!! A firm grip, steady aim, and a gentle squeeze!!

What comes after your first "infraction"? Double Secret Probation perhaps???

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by farfromhome View Post
    SO does a Hand pulled slingshot fall under "Mechanical Means?"

Seems to be the only Projectile type that I am legally allowed to use, but not sure if the rubber band falls under mechanical.
    By the definition of the law. Pitching machines are outlawed.

I asked at cabela's and I got one idiot who wouldn't even allow me to finish my sentence and yelled at me claiming he will not answer law questions, when he sells the thing in his store.
    Another employee said that that a slingshot does not fall under mechanical.

Thoughts?

First, IANAL.

Rubber bands are energy storage devices, and Looking at the Webster's definition, I would say a slingshot is a machine.

And I would also agree that in the broadest sense, a pitching machine would also fall under that poorly written law if it is indeed that vague. So would my Bug-A-Salt flyswatter gun that shoots tablesalt like a shotgun. All are machines/mechanical and all lob projectiles.

BTW, Welcome to INGO.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Freeman View Post
    A confused cop is an arresty cop.
    Quote Originally Posted by hoosierdoc View Post
    also, where do we sign up to touch Frank's equipment?

Plinker

User Info Menu

Thanks for the opinion.

Based on the definition of mechanical means.

"A mechanical device has parts that move when it is working, often using power from an engine or from electricity. ... Mechanical means relating to machines and engines and the way they work."

A sling shot or a simple bow and arrow would not fall under the law.

Yet - like I said above a Pitching Machine to practice baseball hitting would be.
    Also thinking about it. A straw and a spitball would fall under the law as well..

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by farfromhome View Post
    Thanks for the opinion.

Based on the definition of mechanical means.

"A mechanical device has parts that move when it is working, often using power from an engine or from electricity. ... Mechanical means relating to machines and engines and the way they work."

A sling shot or a simple bow and arrow would not fall under the law.

Yet - like I said above a Pitching Machine to practice baseball hitting would be.
    Also thinking about it. A straw and a spitball would fall under the law as well..

OK, so if you are so convinced it doesnt fall under the law, why were you so upset that you couldnt get clarification from a non lawyer or non city legal council? Just buy it and use it if you are so sure.

And call me cynical, but I wouldnt discount slingshots or bows. Both have moving parts when functioning.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Freeman View Post
    A confused cop is an arresty cop.
    Quote Originally Posted by hoosierdoc View Post
    also, where do we sign up to touch Frank's equipment?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast