3D Printer Gun Files, National Security Interest Trumps Free Speech, Court Rules

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    https://yro.slashdot.org/story/16/0...urity-interest-trumps-free-speech-court-rules

I kind of see the govt.'s point about keeping the designs/files out of other countries or other bad actors hands, but how can this NOT be considered free speech.

What was that quote by Ben Franklin? Something about: They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve ....

Ever since the Patriot act and creation of the DHS things have really gone downhill. I still cringe remembering hearing about the department of "Homeland Security", reminded me of something hitler would have come up with.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Pure :poop:

As if foreign nationals aren't going to be able to acquire this stuff on their own, and can't already produce weapons on their own.

Were they trying to distribute some kind of classified weapon system plans?

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I remember when a huge collection of 3D print gun designs were up for download.

I also remember shortly after the domain being shut down by the US Gov.

I can't recall if I ever downloaded them, but if so... those might have been on the flash drive I lost in a tragic boating accident.

GIJEW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    The appellate courts argument is distilled BS. That dark spot on the globe, the hermit kingdom of N. korea has been able to develop nuclear weapons and ballistic missiles, but 3D manufacturing only exists in the US? How do people that stupid get through law school?

But as we know, 'gun control' is really about people control

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    What a joke, those Pakastani's in the Khyber Pass can make a better gun than the current average 3d printer.

I have a Wanhao Duplicator 6 and a large Makerfarm 12 inch Pegasus kit almost done. If having a copy of any defcad files is illegal then I don't have any.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    What a joke, those Pakastani's in the Khyber Pass can make a better gun than the current average 3d printer.

I have a Wanhao Duplicator 6 and a large Makerfarm 12 inch Pegasus kit almost done. If having a copy of any defcad files is illegal then I don't have any.

^This!!!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FinRqCocwGE

They don't need computers just simple tools.
    :facepalm:

Besides the genie is already out. Once the files got on the internet they were download by many and copies made and already outside the US. You can't get those files back. What a bunch of
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlA35y0bGQc

Beowulf

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    So, this had somewhat awkward timing:
    https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/201...-at-home-with-the-latest-ghost-gunner-update/

Wonder if it will be affected by the Vega shooter.

For being on a tech website, that is a complete garbage article. They talk about "3D printing" a serial free handgun, but the article is about the Ghost Gunner, which is a small CNC milling machine... not a printer. They are completely two different types of technologies and manufacturing techniques. One is building up an item from plastic (or even metal now) tiny bit by tiny bit. The other is carving out an item from larger blocks of raw material. Not remotely similar.

That is some lazy tech writing.

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    Ah but legislation isn't connected to any reality. It's only there to appear to "do something" to the vocal sheeple masses that make up 95% of the population.

Top Bottom