• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    I love the remarks from the antis that this would allow criminals to carry without a license. DUH, they already do now!

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Found this on the Indianapolis subreddit.

Liberal here, that's not what bothers me. Here are my biggest problems with indiana's gun laws in order:

Stand your ground is a dumb law just waiting to turn an Applebee's into a shootout one day. So I'm packing and sitting there eating with my family, and a guy with an AR-15 walks in the door, do I have the right to stand up and start opening fire because in my judgement he's there to hurt everyone? It's a nightmare law that should be repealed before a tragedy happens.

There is no requirement for a gun safety course before obtaining a carry permit now. You just go to the county building, they take your fingerprints, you pay your $120 or whatever it is now, and you get your card. When I was given a hand gun as a present (long story) I had never shot a gun, including that one, in my entire life. I walk in and two hours later with zero training on how to actually use the damn thing I was given a permit to carry it in public. If that's not scary, I don't know what is.

There's no requirement to keep records of a personal sale of your gun. I sold that same gun later and I'm the process of moving I lost my photocopy of the guy's ID I took. I called the police non-emergency number and they said it was no big deal. If that gun came up in a crime all I had to say was I sold it to someone else. That's insanity.

But Number 2 there...that's why I oppose this. The current permitting system is useless, I agree, not we should use it to require gun safety courses, not get rid of the permit entirely. There are too many wannabe John Wayne's out there shopping at my Kroger just itching to see a brown person doing something suspicious so they can turn the place into their wet dream action film. I don't want me, my wife, or my kids getting caught in the crossfire.

ben992

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 16, 2011
    Spencer County
    So if this passes in Indiana, what does that do to reciprocity? I have a license but this passes....can I still carry in Alabama, Florida, Kentucky, etc...?

dvd1955

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2013
    Howard County
    Looking ahead a few years after this passes... Indiana has decided to require residents to have a handgun carry license again. The cost of getting a lifetime license will be $250. The old lifetime licenses will NOT be recognized as valid.

ben992

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 16, 2011
    Spencer County
    Looking ahead a few years after this passes... Indiana has decided to require residents to have a handgun carry license again. The cost of getting a lifetime license will be $250. The old lifetime licenses will NOT be recognized as valid.
    This sounds about right. Have you held political office before?

Top Bottom