• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Apparently the gun industry has little understanding of American civics.

This does not bode well. Perhaps they should have played "I'm Just a Bill" from Schoolhouse Rock on a continuous loop at SHOT Show?

croy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Apr 22, 2012
    Indiana
    All they need is for legislators to pass the HPA and watch out, the suppressor business will explode!

I absolutely agree. I hope it passes. I'm holding off on any suppressor purchases until I see what happens with the HPA. I drooled over a new can at BGF the other day and I had to tell myself to wait.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I absolutely agree. I hope it passes. I'm holding off on any suppressor purchases until I see what happens with the HPA. I drooled over a new can at BGF the other day and I had to tell myself to wait.

I have to ask, why would you do that?

The article just related that the gun culture has an extremely low understanding of the legislative process (confusing proposals with law, etc.).

Given the enormous amount of time until actual passage and signature, why would you wait?

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    Current approvals look to be somewhere in the ballpark of 6 months and increasing.

I know that's the pre-41F surge...but it may be interesting to see how somebody that buys in the next month will see their approval wait drop as (presumably) submissions fell off a cliff post-41F.

rooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Given the enormous amount of time until actual passage and signature, why would you wait?

I currently do not own anything that requires a stamp. i have been waiting several years to pull the trigger on one due to the cost,paperwork, literally being on an ATF registry etc. Now that it appears I may in the near future not have all that headache to buy one I will continue to wait.

Not it to mention there are surely some people that are worried the bill will passs before their stamp gets approved.

dave29

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Jul 8, 2009
    Lawrenceburg
    Not it to mention there are surely some people that are worried the bill will passs before their stamp gets approved.

Then you call in and cancel your Form 4, go pick up your suppressor, and receive a refund check from the ATF sometime in the future.

The entire suppressor market will be sold out in the matter of a few days if the Bill passes, so I'd buy now. With the current and projected form 4 approval times, you'd have 12 months to cancel your form 4 if the Bill passes.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    For those kind of outrageous prices, I won't be buying one regardless of whether they change the law or not.

I didn't read the article, so I'm not sure what prices you're referencing, but...

When I bought my can, it ran me about $200, IIRC. Considering I was paying a $200 tax stamp also, that kinda-sorta made an odd kind of sense to me, in that if it was a $25 item and they made a reasonable profit (defined by me as being an amount that covered their expenses and incentivized them continuing to offer it for sale) I'd have expected to pay at least $50. It would have probably upset me to pay a tax four times the cost of the item, considering I'd pay the same even if I had the materials, knowledge, and skill to build the thing myself.

With that in mind, now remove the regulatory requirement. Suddenly, the $25 item can be made by anyone; I could even find a friend with a shop and commission him to do the work for me, no FFL required, and suddenly, the $50 I'd expect to pay can come precipitously downward. Parts costs drop, people start competing. Maybe a can only costs $35 now, and still a 100% markup for the manufacturer. I don't expect the prices to continue to be so high, when YouTube is full of people making "solvent traps" already.

Consider the Econo-Can, now running $85, and according to the website, comes as a complete unit, with oil filter, which must be returned to them, according to ATF/NFA rules, when the filter needs replaced. I think I can probably find (or, when I get one, 3D print) an adapter that will connect an oil filter's threads to a 1/2x28RH thread connection that will thread onto a muzzle. No $200 tax stamp, no requirement (that I'm sure EVERYONE obeys) to send it back to them. Just quieter shooting.

:twocents:

Blessings,
    Bill

Beowulf

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg

From the article:

The conventional wisdom coming from those that know how laws are made, especially gun laws, is that counting on HPA to pass before buying what they want is a recipe for a very long wait. “Anybody who is waiting for the HPA to pass to buy a suppressor is going to be waiting a very long time,” says Todd Rathner, Chairman of the NFA Freedom Alliance and NRA Board Member. “The reality is that we still need 60 votes in the US Senate to pass a bill, and it’s a big question as to whether those votes are there or not. People should take a deep breath, and if you want a silencer BUY ONE! Waiting on the HPA makes no sense.”

Floivanus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 6, 2016
    La crosse
    I didn't read the article, so I'm not sure what prices you're referencing, but...

When I bought my can, it ran me about $200, IIRC. Considering I was paying a $200 tax stamp also, that kinda-sorta made an odd kind of sense to me, in that if it was a $25 item and they made a reasonable profit (defined by me as being an amount that covered their expenses and incentivized them continuing to offer it for sale) I'd have expected to pay at least $50. It would have probably upset me to pay a tax four times the cost of the item, considering I'd pay the same even if I had the materials, knowledge, and skill to build the thing myself.

With that in mind, now remove the regulatory requirement. Suddenly, the $25 item can be made by anyone; I could even find a friend with a shop and commission him to do the work for me, no FFL required, and suddenly, the $50 I'd expect to pay can come precipitously downward. Parts costs drop, people start competing. Maybe a can only costs $35 now, and still a 100% markup for the manufacturer. I don't expect the prices to continue to be so high, when YouTube is full of people making "solvent traps" already.

Consider the Econo-Can, now running $85, and according to the website, comes as a complete unit, with oil filter, which must be returned to them, according to ATF/NFA rules, when the filter needs replaced. I think I can probably find (or, when I get one, 3D print) an adapter that will connect an oil filter's threads to a 1/2x28RH thread connection that will thread onto a muzzle. No $200 tax stamp, no requirement (that I'm sure EVERYONE obeys) to send it back to them. Just quieter shooting.

Blessings,
    Bill
    Amazon carries said adapters, for auto use. BUT a $5 adapter, $10 filter and a $200 stamp (before buying a filter of course) is all it will run you, there is a commercial one that is something like $80. What I don't get is that if you can't swap baffles out, can you change oil filter brands and not get in trouble?

I think the 'rediculous price' comment was aimed at the $1500 'space aged' suppressors that people have run side by side to your typical 'solvent trap' setup with minimal difference to be heard. I would be all for dropping the tax on a suppressor, I would make my own personally, which for now would run $200 plus a couple bucks in change. If they're removed from NFA it'd basically be free for me

Last edited:

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Originally Posted by edporch For those kind of outrageous prices, I won't be buying one regardless of whether they change the law or not.

-Snip-

Blessings,
    Bill

I read the article and went to Silencerco's website and saw the outrageous prices.
    They wanted in the $800-1000 ballpark. NO WAY!
    Sure, I'd pay $200 for one, or better yet, make my own if it was legal.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    Originally Posted by edporch For those kind of outrageous prices, I won't be buying one regardless of whether they change the law or not.

I read the article and went to Silencerco's website and saw the outrageous prices.
    They wanted in the $800-1000 ballpark. NO WAY!
    Sure, I'd pay $200 for one, or better yet, make my own if it was legal.

It is legal to make your own. Form 1 suppressor.

And yeah, damn those manuf. for having employees to pay, advertising, overhead, equipment to pay for, warranties, wanting to run an American business, etc.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    And yeah, damn those manuf. for having employees to pay, advertising, overhead, equipment to pay for, warranties, wanting to run an American business, etc.

Your economic theories test on the far end of the righteous INGO outrage spectrum. I am interested in learning more and wish to subscribe to your newsletter.

Top Bottom