• Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Um... I think they may run into some problems with this:

On March 27 the South Bend Common Council will vote on a resolution for gun safety. That resolution would demand that state and federal lawmakers take action to pass gun laws to include universal background checks and to tighten up gun laws as they apply to abusers and stalkers in domestic violence cases.

Tim Scott, South Bend Common Council president, co-sponsored the “South Bend Gun Violence Prevention Resolution 2017.”

To me, this sounds like an exercise of proprietary authority, and:
    the Indiana General Assembly (2011) said:
    IC 35-47-11.1-3
    Voidance of political subdivision ordinances, measures,
    enactments, rules, policies, and exercises of proprietary authority
    Sec. 3. Any provision of an ordinance, measure, enactment, rule,
    or policy or exercise of proprietary authority of a political
    subdivision or of an employee or agent of a political subdivision
    acting in an official capacity:
    (1) enacted or undertaken before, on, or after June 30, 2011;
    and
    (2) that pertains to or affects the matters listed in section 2 of
    this chapter;​
    is void.​
    As added by P.L.152-2011, SEC.4.

Is this "resolution" what they call "virtue signaling"?

Blessings,
    Bill

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    "On March 27th the South Bend Common council will vote on a Resolution for Gun Safety."

Apparently people from Chicago who had loved ones killed in Chicago have to travel to South Bend to lecture Hoosiers about guns.

Also ... "If I want to own a gun I have no problem giving up any information that I need to give up to own that." :rolleyes:

I looked and didn't see anything posted on this already. Please delete if dupe.
    It's a lot safer down here, less chance of being murdered and all...

This is the Information Age, put your ATF 4473 on Facebook if you want. Something tells me this guy doesn't own firearms. Maybe it's the "giving up rights he doesn't use" thing.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Is this "resolution" what they call "virtue signaling"?
    I think this is the picture definition of "virtue signaling." A local entity "ordering" state and federal lawmakers to do something? That reflects a fundamental misunderstanding of how our system is designed.

But, they do have a sort of 1A right to pass unenforceable, bully-pulpit style, empty resolutions.

There is nothing more important going on in South Bend than this?

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    South Bend is basically run by a bunch of community organizers that think Chicago is the model to aspire toward.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I think this is the picture definition of "virtue signaling." A local entity "ordering" state and federal lawmakers to do something? That reflects a fundamental misunderstanding of how our system is designed.

But, they do have a sort of 1A right to pass unenforceable, bully-pulpit style, empty resolutions.

There is nothing more important going on in South Bend than this?

It is not policy for them, it is religion.

Gun control is a station of the cross for the Left. It is beyond reason or understanding.

"That resolution would demand that state and federal lawmakers take action to pass gun laws to include universal background checks and to tighten up gun laws as they apply to abusers and stalkers in domestic violence cases."

The State of Indiana had a UBC. It was an unenforceable disaster. A state or federal UBC will only be the same unenforceable ukaz to the wind that will bring disrepect to the entire gun control regime.

It is already illegal for abusers and stalkers to possess firearms under State and federal law. Those who demand "more laws" have no idea what the current laws are.

Southbendfamily

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 21, 2013
    SBN
    This is the typical BS of Tim Scott. He has to somehow justify why he is in any position of elected authority, because his "common sense" is that of a 10-year-old. South Bend city government wants to think that it is a malevolent giver of graces to the people. They, City Council, think that they know what is best at all times, for the people of South Bend, that without them we would be on nothing but a rampage of death and violence. It's pretty disgusting.

MarkC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 6, 2016
    Mooresville
    Given the spate of bills filed in this year's legislative session and the federal legislation for hearing protection (OH NO, silencers!) and reciprocity, the council has got to recognize this is a futile gesture and merely virtue signaling.

Liberal paternalism, at its best.

Liberals seem to be dismissive of the people who attempt to do things for themselves, like hunting, car repair, self-defense, and believe the great government nanny state will take care of everything.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    It is not policy for them, it is religion.

Gun control is a station of the cross for the Left. It is beyond reason or understanding.

"That resolution would demand that state and federal lawmakers take action to pass gun laws to include universal background checks and to tighten up gun laws as they apply to abusers and stalkers in domestic violence cases."

The State of Indiana had a UBC. It was an unenforceable disaster. A state or federal UBC will only be the same unenforceable ukaz to the wind that will bring disrepect to the entire gun control regime.

It is already illegal for abusers and stalkers to possess firearms under State and federal law. Those who demand "more laws" have no idea what the current laws are.

Kirk beat me to it.
    I really wish someone would put that out there.
    But, someone probably does, and the news ignores it.

eric001

Vaguely well-known member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 3, 2011
    Indianapolis
    This is the typical BS of Tim Scott. He has to somehow justify why he is in any position of elected authority, because his "common sense" is that of a 5 year old girl. South Bend city government wants to think that it is a malevolent giver of graces to the people. They, City Council, think that they know what is best at all times, for the people of South Bend, that without them we would be on nothing but a rampage of death and violence. It's pretty disgusting.

FIFY

Don't know the guy, don't want to know the guy--but it sounds like his world view is as dangerous as that aged girl...and it just plain looks a lot better INGO-ized.

Top Bottom