• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    I was just emailed this today reference proposed ordinance 2017-4B (Prohibiting the Discharge of a Firearm Within 1,000 Feet of a Residential Dwelling Within the Unincorporated Areas of LaPorte County).

This is the link that was sent to me (it's not a link to a virus) and I really have no other information regarding it other than the meeting where it will be discussed is on the 19th.

http://www.laportecounty.org/Resources/Commissions/Agendas/20170419Agenda.pdf

I did a print screen of the PDF in case you don't want to click on it:

LPord.jpg

I usually avoid politics, but this would get me fined a lot and I don't really need that.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Does that even jive with Indiana preemption laws? Not sure preemption covers use of firearms?

I assume that does not include a shooting next to a person's own home, but 1000 feet from residential dwellings would basically shutdown outdoor and private ranges throughout many counties.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Does that even jive with Indiana preemption laws? Not sure preemption covers use of firearms?

I assume that does not include a shooting next to a person's own home, but 1000 feet from residential dwellings would basically shutdown outdoor and private ranges throughout many counties.

And here they come again.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Is thia not similar to what lake county indiana passed a few years back for their unincorporated sections. Its on ingo somewhere. We lost that battle here in lake county.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    Is there a draft of the ordinance online somewhere? There are a LOT of rural areas in LaPorte County that would fall under this ordinance. I'm not sure what the minimum dimensions are for a parcel to build on there, but in Starke County, lots only have to be 100' wide so 1,000' distance from the neighbor would eliminate a lot of smaller parcels even if they had a safe backstop.

You need to get everyone you can to attend the meeting and speak at the hearing. Is this the first meeting where this has been discussed?

lonehoosier

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    NWI
    Is thia not similar to what lake county indiana passed a few years back for their unincorporated sections. Its on ingo somewhere. We lost that battle here in lake county.
    Home range lake county

ATTENTION N.W.Indiana residents who want to shoot on your own land, I have posted this information in several threads in response to questions, figured that the NWI thread may be a good place to deposit this information too:

LAKE COUNTY has a shooting ordinance. NOT every county has one. YOU must check with your county to see if there are any rules. However, in LAKE COUNTY the actual ordinance that PASSED is1314B, it was PASSED on August 11th, 2009.

The passed and signed ordinance actually reads:
    "That the Lake County Council now prohibits the discharge of a firearm for the sole purpose of target shooting or practice shooting within 200 feet of the property lines of a platted, approved and developed multi-lot subdivision of one acre lots or less, as defined in the Lake County Code."
    ALSO, be aware of NOISE ordinances that will affect the shooting TIMES that are legal (these same times apply to all loud noises like lawn mowing, fireworks, etc.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    I don't think there is a copy of the ordinance online. It is listed under "new business", so I believe it is the first meeting where it is being discussed.

If this is in the early stages of the process, this is the time to get the opposition in there so they can see what they are up against. Once it is drafted and in final form for approval, it will be much harder to get it thrown out.

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    I know there will be a lot of people at the meeting Wednesday. I will be there, but I'm not the kind of person you want to put a microphone in front of to further your cause. There will be a lot more people that are articulate and much less abrasive than I am.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    Abrasive isn't always bad in a situation like this. If you can keep calm for the most part, I would at least state my name and that I am opposed to the ordinance. This could impact a lot of folks that hunt if they only have five acres...maybe even 10 acre parcels depending on the dimensions and how close the neighbors are. If you are on FB, I would be sharing this on the DNR pages or any other local pages that would get the word out to others involved in shooting sports in the area.

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    I don't think there is a copy of the ordinance online. It is listed under "new business", so I believe it is the first meeting where it is being discussed.

Everyone needs to understand that the commissioners can pass this ON THE FIRST READING if they so choose and 3 vote in favor of it. This is no joke, if this passes you'll need to own at least 40+ acres to even hope to be safe from this law. 1,000 feet as the crow flies is a very long distance.

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    If this is in the early stages of the process, this is the time to get the opposition in there so they can see what they are up against. Once it is drafted and in final form for approval, it will be much harder to get it thrown out.
    See my earlier post, if3 vote in favor of it, it can pass on the first reading.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso

Nope.

Except as provided in section 4 of this chapter, a political subdivision may not regulate:
    (1) firearms, ammunition, and firearm accessories;
    (2) the ownership, possession, carrying, transportation, registration, transfer, and storage of firearms, ammunition, and firearm accessories; and
    (3) commerce in and taxation of firearms, firearm ammunition, and firearm accessories.

Ind. Code Ann. § 35-47-11.1-2

I haven't seen the ordinance, but there is no reason to assume that it would not include your own home.

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    Everyone needs to understand that the commissioners can pass this ON THE FIRST READING if they so choose and 3 vote in favor of it. This is no joke, if this passes you'll need to own at least 40+ acres to even hope to be safe from this law. 1,000 feet as the crow flies is a very long distance.

It takes three readings (but they can do it twice at one meeting).

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spencerab23
    Top Bottom