Indiana Constitutional Carry-Summer Study thread (2017)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    This thread is for discussion regarding the process, testimony, and findings of the Summer Study committee requested by HEA 1071 (2017).

Would someone with knowledge of how those committees are appointed and what the process and notifications to the public look like, please share that knowledge with the rest of us? :)

Blessings,
    Bill

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon

So, based on this article (published in 2013), it will likely be a Republican from the Senate who chairs the interim study committee?

The chairmanship of committees typically switches annually between the majority party in each chamber. This year, Senate Republicans will lead or co-lead nearly all the study committees.

It will be a shame if Lucas can't chair the committee.

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Lawrence County
    Exactly as I thought. Unless "we" keep the heat up, CC will die in the summer study graveyard. The articles say it depends on the committee and whether the chairperson is interested in the topic. Could be everything hinges on selecting the chair and members of the study. Wrong members, it's DOA.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    More e-mails, letters, cards, phone calls, visits to Statehouse. Lather, rinse, repeat! This big rock is getting pushed up the hill. I don't want it to roll to the bottom again.

brotherbill3

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2010
    Hamilton Co.
    My understanding from asking LSA's and aides earlier this year (and involvement in Legislative group on FB):

Summer Study is like the hearing process; but more open ended if I follow what I've learned so far. It is "non binding" but it helps to build more consensus with a broader group of legislators. It keeps the issue up in front of the ("ever favorable") media and in the public eye. So our job is to build support - from all groups. It aslo becomes a chance for the sponsor(s) / author(s) to refine the language ...

avoiding the confusion we've had over the reciprocity licenses for example. ... and then

Same as always:

Don't waste your time with close minded people; but don't let them have the ear uncontested of those who have not made up and closed their minds.
    Sway people - be an example - write and help "ENABLE" others to make contact and grow.
    The reason this freedom and liberty is in jeopardy is because, as a society, people have not seen the rights exercised or used.
    we must get new people and bring the mass to us;

or at least enough to swing that negative perception of constitutional carry - such that legislators realize they aren't shooting their career by doing what their oath should require them to do - and pass this. See you all in the new thread - thanks BoR! ... Good work and Job to all this session.

ETA THIS:

I see this as an off-shoot and extension of our "PART TIME" legislature - other states with full time legislature can just keep having hearings - where as - our session ends; and legislation dies. Often the primary hearings are with short notice and limited by the quantity of issues to discuss.
    I see this as a positive because it limits how many new rules and laws can be passed to take away our rights, in a given session. anyway - back to work. Enjoy the weekend (and "Play Ball").

Last edited:

John Galt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 18, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    I have heard that there are many that are angling to get on that Committee and it cannot be stressed enough how important this step is in actually getting Constitutional Carry passed. Sadly, many legislative surveys were coming back negative this past session, as people (voters) were confused about what Constitutional Carry actually does and does not do. Combine that with the negative support from every police representative group in the state and the legislators, collectively really didn't have the stomach to force the issue.
    However, there are still some dedicated legislators that WILL force this issue again next year and a summer study gives the perfect opportunity to get the truth and facts out to the public, while putting pressure on the police agencies to get on board. The NRA has pledged their full support, and given the victories they've recently had with several other states adapting Constitutional Carry and the fact that Indiana has been pushing this for several years and is on the cusp of getting it done, they're throwing their weight behind it.
    This is good stuff!

KellyinAvon

Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    I have heard that there are many that are angling to get on that Committee and it cannot be stressed enough how important this step is in actually getting Constitutional Carry passed. Sadly, many legislative surveys were coming back negative this past session, as people (voters) were confused about what Constitutional Carry actually does and does not do. Combine that with the negative support from every police representative group in the state and the legislators, collectively really didn't have the stomach to force the issue.
    However, there are still some dedicated legislators that WILL force this issue again next year and a summer study gives the perfect opportunity to get the truth and facts out to the public, while putting pressure on the police agencies to get on board. The NRA has pledged their full support, and given the victories they've recently had with several other states adapting Constitutional Carry and the fact that Indiana has been pushing this for several years and is on the cusp of getting it done, they're throwing their weight behind it.
    This is good stuff!

I heard some positive news on Guy's show this evening on getting the Sheriff's Association et al on board with CC (Constitutional Carry, concealed carry with be lower case cc until upper case CC is law in the Great State of Indiana.) Rep Lucas has stated the money received by LEO Departments form LTCH processing (ALWAYS follow the money) will be offset in the budget process.

Also had a discussion with someone I assumed to be on the side of (upper case) CC but wasn't today. This was a family member, life-long gun owner, lifetime LTCH. Concerns were the same as what we hear from the "87%". I asked if the people they were concerned about having guns were: felons, those adjudicated as mentally ill, and those convicted of domestic violence. He said yes. I pointed out these people are currently prohibited from possessing firearms and would still be prohibited under CC.

It's harder when it's a family member who watches the news and knows bad people do bad things. The Internet with strangers is easier. I think I made a little progress and will keep trying.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Well, when you have state senators who express on the floor of the senate that each party could obtain a protective order, and then you'd have two prohibited people carrying... ignoring the fact that both would be, y'know, PROHIBITED...

How can we expect John Q Public to understand?

Blessings,
    Bill

I heard some positive news on Guy's show this evening on getting the Sheriff's Association et al on board with CC (Constitutional Carry, concealed carry with be lower case cc until upper case CC is law in the Great State of Indiana.) Rep Lucas has stated the money received by LEO Departments form LTCH processing (ALWAYS follow the money) will be offset in the budget process.

Also had a discussion with someone I assumed to be on the side of (upper case) CC but wasn't today. This was a family member, life-long gun owner, lifetime LTCH. Concerns were the same as what we hear from the "87%". I asked if the people they were concerned about having guns were: felons, those adjudicated as mentally ill, and those convicted of domestic violence. He said yes. I pointed out these people are currently prohibited from possessing firearms and would still be prohibited under CC.

It's harder when it's a family member who watches the news and knows bad people do bad things. The Internet with strangers is easier. I think I made a little progress and will keep trying.

brotherbill3

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2010
    Hamilton Co.
    I saw this via FB:

CONSTITUTIONAL CARRY - AWESOME NEWS, HB1129 is heading to the Governor!
    This bill overcame a MAJOR OBSTACLE from local police departments regarding their funding received from handgun licensing. I added an amendment that now allows local communities to specifically fund police training to a higher level than what was being received from on licensing monies.

LINK: House Bill 1129 - Local income tax and state sales tax matters - Indiana General Assembly, 2017 Session

I have not had time to read through this - but it seems this should off set the "booo hooo" from the LE Organizations ...

dozer13

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2017
    Sellersburg

KellyinAvon

Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    I saw this via FB:

LINK: House Bill 1129 - Local income tax and state sales tax matters - Indiana General Assembly, 2017 Session

I have not had time to read through this - but it seems this should off set the "booo hooo" from the LE Organizations ...
    And as we all know, nothing off-sets booo-hooo like cold cash. Now it's time to be vigilant and make sure they don't try to eat their cake and have pie too. With that said, time to e-mail the summer study committee.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Hopefully, this summer study session will do some simulations to determine the likely revenue changes by going to CC. From what I read, there seems to be a all or nothing view of future revenues from the LTCH processes. Surely, there are some histories from other states that will indicate the changes of people seeking a permit/license for reciprocity even though CC exists to give some guidance. We know it won't go to zero but what the effect will be should be able to be estimated and this will tell the departments what they'll have to make up from this new source.

brotherbill3

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2010
    Hamilton Co.
    And as we all know, nothing off-sets booo-hooo like cold cash. Now it's time to be vigilant and make sure they don't try to eat their cake and have pie too. With that said, time to e-mail the summer study committee.

I am not seeing the committee list yet - but when I do - If NOT already posted it will be forewarded to ya'll here - among other places.

Top Bottom