Page 1 of 83 1 2 3 4 5 11 51 ... LastLast
    Cogito, ergo porto.
    Wherever my wife and the bacon are. Anywhere else is not living, just existing.

Indiana Constitutional Carry-Summer Study thread (2017)

This thread is for discussion regarding the process, testimony, and findings of the Summer Study committee requested by HEA 1071 (2017).

Would someone with knowledge of how those committees are appointed and what the process and notifications to the public look like, please share that knowledge with the rest of us?

Blessings,
    Bill

Thanks for your help in keeping this a great forum!
    Forum Rules#######Classifieds Rules##############?!?! wait...what?

...and a timeline - what happens when.

Thanks Bill!
    NRA Lifetime Member - ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ.

My neighbor, a former LSA staff attorney, has written on interim committees often. You can find more here:

https://www.masson.us/blog/?s=summer+study+committee
    Meanwhile, at Number One Observation Circle, Mike Pence shrugs.

Quote Originally Posted by JeremiahJohnson View Post
    ...and a timeline - what happens when.

Thanks Bill!
    Well, first the parties need to assignment members to the Interim Committees and then the chairs set the agenda.

This will not be the only summer interim committee. There are more than several.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Freeman View Post
    So, based on this article (published in 2013), it will likely be a Republican from the Senate who chairs the interim study committee?

The chairmanship of committees typically switches annually between the majority party in each chamber. This year, Senate Republicans will lead or co-lead nearly all the study committees.
    It will be a shame if Lucas can't chair the committee.

Exactly as I thought. Unless "we" keep the heat up, CC will die in the summer study graveyard. The articles say it depends on the committee and whether the chairperson is interested in the topic. Could be everything hinges on selecting the chair and members of the study. Wrong members, it's DOA.
    NRA Lifetime Member - ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ.

More e-mails, letters, cards, phone calls, visits to Statehouse. Lather, rinse, repeat! This big rock is getting pushed up the hill. I don't want it to roll to the bottom again.

My understanding from asking LSA's and aides earlier this year (and involvement in Legislative group on FB):

Summer Study is like the hearing process; but more open ended if I follow what I've learned so far. It is "non binding" but it helps to build more consensus with a broader group of legislators. It keeps the issue up in front of the ("ever favorable") media and in the public eye. So our job is to build support - from all groups. It aslo becomes a chance for the sponsor(s) / author(s) to refine the language ...

avoiding the confusion we've had over the reciprocity licenses for example. ... and then

Same as always:

Don't waste your time with close minded people; but don't let them have the ear uncontested of those who have not made up and closed their minds.
    Sway people - be an example - write and help "ENABLE" others to make contact and grow.
    The reason this freedom and liberty is in jeopardy is because, as a society, people have not seen the rights exercised or used.
    we must get new people and bring the mass to us;

or at least enough to swing that negative perception of constitutional carry - such that legislators realize they aren't shooting their career by doing what their oath should require them to do - and pass this. See you all in the new thread - thanks BoR! ... Good work and Job to all this session.

ETA THIS:

I see this as an off-shoot and extension of our "PART TIME" legislature - other states with full time legislature can just keep having hearings - where as - our session ends; and legislation dies. Often the primary hearings are with short notice and limited by the quantity of issues to discuss.
    I see this as a positive because it limits how many new rules and laws can be passed to take away our rights, in a given session. anyway - back to work. Enjoy the weekend (and "Play Ball").
    Last edited by brotherbill3; 04-21-2017 at 14:49.
    "Brother" Bill - BB3 - Information Analyst, Indiana Moms Against Gun Control

ETA thanks for the links Kirk - I'd rep - but I'm out ... more info is always better.
    "Brother" Bill - BB3 - Information Analyst, Indiana Moms Against Gun Control

Page 1 of 83 1 2 3 4 5 11 51 ... LastLast