• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    Can this be revisited after/if MI passes constitutional carry bill that's going on now?

not sure. I doubt it. They're basically giving the (public/state) University the privileges of a private business.
    On my MI CPL (yes, it's a CPL here in MI, not a LTCH), it specifically states that I can't carry in "Dormitory or classroom of community college, college, or university." But, MI law allows some type of preemption for UofM, MichState, and at least one other university, which I can't remember at the moment.
    It gets even trickier because the University owns A LOT of properties in Ann Arbor. So, I assume that carrying there would be illegal, but it may not be clearly marked or commonly known that it is a university-owned area.

I only think this would change if a NATIONAL law were passed that allowed carrying at all public/state universities

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    Since osme of us are talking tongue-in-cheek, and it might be lost on others, let me clarify.
    In IN, the law states that it is illegal to carry in daycares and schools (meaning K-12). The STATE law does NOT criminalize carrying on campus. However, the universities have banned carrying as a matter of school policy - not state law. So, I can be expelled as a student or fired as an employee, but after the legal dust settles, there should not be criminal charges for breaking state law. This assumes that there was no threatening, menacing, brandishing, etc.

In Michigan, by contrast, they have criminalized carrying on university property. The OP talks about how this ban was upheld.

Anyone can correct me if I'm wrong.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Since osme of us are talking tongue-in-cheek, and it might be lost on others, let me clarify.
    In IN, the law states that it is illegal to carry in daycares and schools (meaning K-12). The STATE law does NOT criminalize carrying on campus. However, the universities have banned carrying as a matter of school policy - not state law. So, I can be expelled as a student or fired as an employee or as a private citizen told to leave the property of else charge with treaspassing, but after the legal dust settles, there should not be criminal charges for breaking state law. This assumes that there was no threatening, menacing, brandishing, etc.

In Michigan, by contrast, they have criminalized carrying on university property. The OP talks about how this ban was upheld.

Anyone can correct me if I'm wrong.

Added one more for you.

Top Bottom