• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Phase2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Currently, carrying a firearm into a "gun-free" area in Ohio results in a felony with a penalty of up to 1 year and a $2500 fine. This also ends up killing your voting and firearm rights.

HB233 has just been submitted that would change the law to come much closer to Indiana's setup where carrying a firearm would be treated more like trespassing. Given that Hoosiers have to live with this law while in Ohio, this would be a positive step for us as well.

The bill has 51 co-sponsors, all Republicans. Given the R-vs-D ratios in Ohio's legislature and Kasich's strong 2A record, this looks likely to pass.

Ohio Set to Reform 'Gun Free Zone' Penalties?

gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    Ohio get`s it wrong a lot. It wasn`t long ago, they refused to recognize Indiana`s carry permit because we are not mandated by the state to obtain training prior to carrying.

Last edited:

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Ohio get`s it wrong a lot. It wasn`t long ago, they refused to recognize Indiana`s carry permit because we are mandated training by the state.

It wasn't long ago they didn't allow concealed carry at all. I remember the rallies in the early 2000's to get it changed. Residents could OC, out-of-towners were instructed to show up with empty holsters as the law was unclear on non-residents.

They've been moving in the right direction for awhile now.

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus
    It wasn't long ago they didn't allow concealed carry at all. I remember the rallies in the early 2000's to get it changed. Residents could OC, out-of-towners were instructed to show up with empty holsters as the law was unclear on non-residents.

:+1:
    Glad to see it turning around in Ohio.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)

exactly!

they started with nothing. when CC first passed there, they had all kinds of crazy laws about how it couldn't be concealed when driving, etc etc. Some folks balked, but I was happy with progress (from OH and most of my family is there). they are moving the ball in the right direction. Repeatedly going for first down is acceptable, when the TD is most likely out of reach.

Now you can carry concealed in a vehicle, they accept IN licenses, along with other improvements. Maybe soon they'll do away with the need to inform LEO, too.

Usually we watch as the left chips rights away. There we're seeing the pieces get glued back together.

-rvb

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    Don't forget that a loaded magazine was considered a loaded firearm even if the magazine wasn't in the gun. Ohio has made big steps. If this passes, it will be better than what we have in Indiana.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Don't forget that a loaded magazine was considered a loaded firearm even if the magazine wasn't in the gun. Ohio has made big steps. If this passes, it will be better than what we have in Indiana.

And anything over 31 rds was considered to be a machine gun.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    As a resident, ME TOO!!

I was a little bummed when I first moved here from IN but given the forward progress that's been made here I'm actually pretty optimistic. It's nice to see forward progress instead of falling backwards.

Your opinion on every single little 500+ village having their own "police department"? As a Hoosier that frequents several small towns in Ohio visiting my wife's family - I found it quite odd.

rugertoter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2011
    N.E. Corner
    Currently, carrying a firearm into a "gun-free" area in Ohio results in a felony with a penalty of up to 1 year and a $2500 fine. This also ends up killing your voting and firearm rights.

HB233 has just been submitted that would change the law to come much closer to Indiana's setup where carrying a firearm would be treated more like trespassing. Given that Hoosiers have to live with this law while in Ohio, this would be a positive step for us as well.

The bill has 51 co-sponsors, all Republicans. Given the R-vs-D ratios in Ohio's legislature and Kasich's strong 2A record, this looks likely to pass.

Ohio Set to Reform 'Gun Free Zone' Penalties?
    Sounds good to me. When the wife and I go over there to visit our son and family, I really have to watch myself. :n00b:

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Lol, sorry, but Ohio gets no props from me for becoming slowly less draconian.

The biggest problem with an all-or-nothing approach is that either option is equally viable. If you demand 100% return of lawful access to your rights or 0% access, it is unlikely you'll get everything you ask for. That only leaves one other option, and leaves you worse off than you started. Take what you can get, celebrate it, and the most important part, stay in the fight until you have everything you started off wanting, and more.

Blessings,
    Bill

Top Bottom