Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Good bill submitted in Ohio

Currently, carrying a firearm into a "gun-free" area in Ohio results in a felony with a penalty of up to 1 year and a $2500 fine. This also ends up killing your voting and firearm rights.

HB233 has just been submitted that would change the law to come much closer to Indiana's setup where carrying a firearm would be treated more like trespassing. Given that Hoosiers have to live with this law while in Ohio, this would be a positive step for us as well.

The bill has 51 co-sponsors, all Republicans. Given the R-vs-D ratios in Ohio's legislature and Kasich's strong 2A record, this looks likely to pass.

Ohio Set to Reform 'Gun Free Zone' Penalties?
    CNN Exclusive: Millions of Americans colluded with the Russians to elect Donald Trump.

Ohio get`s it wrong a lot. It wasn`t long ago, they refused to recognize Indiana`s carry permit because we are not mandated by the state to obtain training prior to carrying.
    Last edited by gregr; 07-15-2017 at 17:11.
    If I`m there, it AIN`T a gun-free zone.

Quote Originally Posted by gregr View Post
    Ohio get`s it wrong a lot. It wasn`t long ago, they refused to recognize Indiana`s carry permit because we are mandated training by the state.
    It wasn't long ago they didn't allow concealed carry at all. I remember the rallies in the early 2000's to get it changed. Residents could OC, out-of-towners were instructed to show up with empty holsters as the law was unclear on non-residents.

They've been moving in the right direction for awhile now.
    My nuts are the great uniter.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    It wasn't long ago they didn't allow concealed carry at all. I remember the rallies in the early 2000's to get it changed. Residents could OC, out-of-towners were instructed to show up with empty holsters as the law was unclear on non-residents.

Glad to see it turning around in Ohio.
    It's ok! I'm an INGO member!

Todd Young (R-IN)
    https://www.young.senate.gov/contact

Joe Donnelly (D-IN)
    http://www.donnelly.senate.gov/contact/email-joe

Find your U.S. Rep
    http://www.house.gov/representatives/find/

/l ,[____],
    l---L -OlllllllO-
    ()_)-()_)-o-)_)

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post

exactly!

they started with nothing. when CC first passed there, they had all kinds of crazy laws about how it couldn't be concealed when driving, etc etc. Some folks balked, but I was happy with progress (from OH and most of my family is there). they are moving the ball in the right direction. Repeatedly going for first down is acceptable, when the TD is most likely out of reach.

Now you can carry concealed in a vehicle, they accept IN licenses, along with other improvements. Maybe soon they'll do away with the need to inform LEO, too.

Usually we watch as the left chips rights away. There we're seeing the pieces get glued back together.

-rvb
    Ryan V. B. TY56060 Come shoot USPSA w Ft Wayne Area Practical Shooters: www.facebook.com/fwuspsa

Don't forget that a loaded magazine was considered a loaded firearm even if the magazine wasn't in the gun. Ohio has made big steps. If this passes, it will be better than what we have in Indiana.

Quote Originally Posted by Rookie View Post
    Don't forget that a loaded magazine was considered a loaded firearm even if the magazine wasn't in the gun. Ohio has made big steps. If this passes, it will be better than what we have in Indiana.
    And anything over 31 rds was considered to be a machine gun.
    Amazing Grace, how sweet was her sound.

Jet beams can't melt steel fuel.

Quote Originally Posted by Tactically Fat View Post
    And anything over 31 rds was considered to be a machine gun.
    did they get rid of that one ???
    Ryan V. B. TY56060 Come shoot USPSA w Ft Wayne Area Practical Shooters: www.facebook.com/fwuspsa

Quote Originally Posted by rvb View Post
    did they get rid of that one ???
    Yes they did. I believe it was in the same legislation that no longer considered load mags to be equivalent to a loaded firearm.
    Amazing Grace, how sweet was her sound.

Jet beams can't melt steel fuel.

Quote Originally Posted by Bennettjh View Post

Glad to see it turning around in Ohio.
    As a resident, ME TOO!!

I was a little bummed when I first moved here from IN but given the forward progress that's been made here I'm actually pretty optimistic. It's nice to see forward progress instead of falling backwards.

Shut up and color!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast